Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I should have read the board. There is already a thread about this issue - can the moderator merge?

I was under my 2001 LTD Sequoia over the weekend and noticed a significant amount of corrosion at the frame rail and rear cross member junction. It is way more than "surface rust" in the weld. I can drive a pick or any pointed object through some of the metal surface area.

Living in Missouri, they throw a significant amount of road salt and liquid salt brine in the winters. I know the Tundras were being inspected for this exact same issue in "northern" climates (MO not being included) but I was wondering, since the 2001 Sequoia shares a frame platform with the Tundra, who is to say my frame isn't going to rot out exactly like the Tundra?

I will not accept my $10K vehicle becoming a pile of scrap or being sued when my spare tire falls off and kills the driver behind me. Accordingly, I have filed a safety complaint with the NHTSA. I would encourange any of you who live in an area treated during the winter to look at this area on your truck.

If you have a corrosion issue and would like to issue a safety complaint, please visit the NHTSA website: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

You can search for mine, it is complaint number 10307840.

Here is my complaint:
In NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 09V444000, Toyota recalled model year 2000-2003 Tundra Vehicles due to excessive corrosion of the rear cross member that may cause the separation of the spare tire. The 2000-2003 Toyota Sequoia vehicles share identical frame cross member and spare tire mounting arrangements in which excessive corrosion in the rear cross member and spare tire mounting location can cause separation of the spare tire stowed under the rear cargo load floor which would result in a road hazard. This separation of the spare tire or mounting bracket could cause a crash. Also, corrosion of the rear cross member could affect the rear brake lines and the proportioning valve, resulting in diminished braking capability. Any separation of the spare tire and/or diminished braking capability could increase the risk of crash to affected vehicle and/or a road hazard to those traveling nearby.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have the same rust problem and Toyota fails to take responsibility. Wish I could get a new frame too since I like the truck otherwise. It is terribly rusted!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have a 2001 Sequoia with an 18-24" hole rotted through the bottom of the left frame rail under the drivers seat area, where transmission x-member is welded to the frame, as well as the spare tire carrier mount. I have been getting nothing but a run-around from Toyota factory folks. Oh, they are plenty polite, and "feel my pain" but they offered me a $750 coupon to compensate me for my $10,000 sequoia that is no longer driveable as is. Toyota says there is no "program" to replace Sequoia frames, and I am convinced that will remain the case until they are somehow made to admit that it is the exact same frame, made in same factory with same poor quality materials, rotting in hte EXACT SAME PLACES AS Tundra frames. The dealer wholeheartedly agrees. I am going to fight this as long as I can. One member here (mconnors68 -??) did in fact get a new frame from Toyota this spring when the Mass. A/G and WCVB tv got involved, as he has posted here. Sequoia owners need to band together on this and force the issue. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you are in this same dilemma, I will respond.

they

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I also have a 2001 Sequoia with a 12" hole rotted through the bottom of the transmission cross member as well as some small holes on the passenger side. I took my vehicle in for a quick oil change and got a call back stating the vehicle was unsafe to drive so they gave me a loaner until someone from Toyota could come out and do a report on the vehicle. A few days after, I got a call saying I could come get my vehicle. They indicated there are no consumer support programs for the rust damage of the Sequoia's. Funny thing is I bought this vehicle back in June and took it to the same service department in July and did about $2k worth of work to it - funny they never mentioned this issue then. I have filed a complaint with the NHTS but haven't made any other moves yet. In fact, I haven't picked up the vehicle yet, I need to call them today. The service man I spoke with yesterday suggested I take it to a body shop to see if they could weld some reinforcements on there. But rust is rust and it's never going to stop. The only reason I bought a 10-year old car was because it was a Toyota with 90,000 miles on it - they go forever. But now I am running into this issue and my purchase and fully paid for vehicle may be worth nothing. I almost wonder if they would agree to a trade-in due to the press around these problems. Have you had any success in your case? Any movement at all? Any suggestions on what I should do now? Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts