Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after long deliberations about everything under the sun, I finally decided on my tire/wheel combo along with a my lift. I ended up going with Toyo MT's 275/70/18 (33.6") and the KMC Monster 18x9 with the 35mm offset. I got the 35mm because I didn't want the tires to stick out beyond the fender wells. They happen to line up perfectly! I also was able to have the spare fit which was an important requirement for me because I didn't want to huck that huge thing on the roof!

For the suspension, I got Icon C/O's up front along with the TC UCA. For the rear, I got custom springs made 2" of lift.

Overall I'm pretty happy with the setup. The front is a little on the high side and I need to lower it about 3/4" to make it flat to the rear. The ride is surprisingly good. The Toyo's hum a little bit but that was expected. I'll let things settle and reset the suspension. Also I have zero rubbing issues.

Here's the finished product;

steven

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
friggin awesome!!! now thats the one toyota needs to advertise with the slogan "daddy likes"...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Your truck looks awesome. I signed on this morning with the intention of asking for some advice and your post is
exactly what I was going to ask about. How have the tires effected acceleration and mileage? I am going to lift, via
Bilstein 5100s and a spacer for the rear, 2 1/2" and go to 33" tires. We use trails in the Smokey Mtns and 4wd beach
access areas and I was debating between Rugged Trail and Grabber AT2. Would prefer the Grabbers but am concerned about
ride quality (harshness of E rated) and reduction of MPG. Any advice? Again, your ride looks great.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Very cool looking ride. I am curious to know why you got the Icon coil overs and custom rear springs instead of regular type RevTek lift?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your truck looks awesome. I signed on this morning with the intention of asking for some advice and your post is
exactly what I was going to ask about. How have the tires effected acceleration and mileage? I am going to lift, via
Bilstein 5100s and a spacer for the rear, 2 1/2" and go to 33" tires. We use trails in the Smokey Mtns and 4wd beach
access areas and I was debating between Rugged Trail and Grabber AT2. Would prefer the Grabbers but am concerned about
ride quality (harshness of E rated) and reduction of MPG. Any advice? Again, your ride looks great.
Thanks High4. There is a difference in peppiness. The tires are 5% larger than stock. I measured my speed with my Garmin GPS and it now reads accurate. That means the stock mileage is reading 5% high. My mileage stock was 14.8 - 15.8mpg which was 50/50 hwy/city. I have limited miles but it seems to be around 13 - 13.5mph.

As for the E rated tires, the ride is surprisingly good. The E rating seems like a good fit for our 6000lb vehicle. I'll be testing them out next week on trails. Let me know if you have any questions.

Steven

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very cool looking ride. I am curious to know why you got the Icon coil overs and custom rear springs instead of regular type RevTek lift?
Hi Rique, simply two different approaches. RevTek's are spacers, the Icons are a fully built system. As for the rear, I had custom springs made 2" over stock @ +15%. I'm still using my stock shocks to limit suspension travel in the rear. My installer recommends limiting the angle of the rear CV joint to prevent binding. If I do go custom, I'll add limiting straps. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the information, stom m3. I like your Icons and considered them but for the type of off-roading we do the Bilsteins should be more than adequate. I would not mind a 1 to 1 1/2 mpg reduction and will be adding a Volant CAI and Corsa catback which may help off-set the loss a little. If you could let us know how your new rig handles off-road and an update on MPG and performance I certainly would appreciate it.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
WOW!! Looks awesome man!

·
Registered
96 Posts
will be adding a Volant CAI and Corsa catback which may help off-set the loss a little. .
Can you comment on the Corsa Catback? is it an after market cat?....

·
Forum Admin
8,277 Posts
..., simply two different approaches....
And you definitely took the right approach! Your Sequoia is absolutely stunning. The Icons and Toyo/KMC set up compliment each other very nicely. And a full size spare FTW! Damn, talk about doing it right the first time. :coola::tu:

In a few hundred miles of SoCal highways, I bet it'll settle just enough that you won't want to change a thing.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
ok. explain this to me. my wife hates, and i mean hates to the point she tells me about it all the time, black wheels. she says i cant have any. cant stand em. but i showed her this thread and she is all "that actually looks good...i like it....." i asked her "would you drive it?" and she's all "yeah sure...i like it".

WTF....why does it look so dam good??????? now i need to find a white sequoia and do the same thing for her....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Black wheels on dark colored cars look strange. My wife has the same opinion. This white truck looks good also due the the lift.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Rique,
I don't want to hijack the string so will pm you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Back from Mammoth. The Sequoia did great! No problems. Granted we went over some fairly mild stuff. Here are some pics from the adventure;

Road into Bodie

Road to nowhere

Start of Laurel Lakes

·
Registered
119 Posts
How nice. I see there was one excited little girl! Your truck looks great. Are you pleased with the ride of the e rated tires? Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A couple of updates;

Speedo - it looks my speedo is reading about 1 - 1.5 mph high at 70mph. I thought it was spot on but as I did my 1000 mile round trip around mammoth I had more chances to check it.

MPG - on the way to mammoth, my gas hwy mileage raged from 14.5 - 15.5mpg. On the way back, I was surprisingly able to make it back on a single tank with an average of 17.5mpg. Both ways I averaged between 65 - 70 mph.

As for city driving, mileage drops to 12.5 - 13.5mpg. Stepping on the gas around town really sucks down gas on a 6000lb vehicle.

I would say for both hwy and city driving mileage has dropped 10%.

Ride - the ride is surprisingly good. The front is very compliant and the rear feels stiffer but the coil is progressive wound which I believe provides the illusion of a stock ride in the initial part of the travel. People having issues with lift spacers causing stiff rides might try the custom coil idea instead.

Also the E-rated tires did not seem to cause any stiffness issues what so ever. I believe it's because of the vehicle weight. On the road, I kept the tires 40-42psi. Off road, I put them at 30-32psi. I could have gone lower off road but I didn't want the hassle of having to air the tire up that much more with my compressor. Ended up not being a big issue as we usually just drove to a gas station to air back up. I did notice an improve ride off road airing down though. I might try in the 20's the next go around.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nice ride. I have 5100's and airbags in the rear coil's. Where did you get your rear coils and how much were they? My rear rides rough when I'm not towing so I always have them low in town. I've been running 275/70/18's on factory wheels now for 32k. I really need to rebalance them. I should get another 20k out of them.-sal

1 - 20 of 166 Posts