Toyota Tundra Forums banner
101 - 120 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here are some more pics. Of course, the second pic makes it blantantly obvious that I need a skid plate for the gas tank.

Nice one. btw, do you have the specifications for this. if not length and width dimensions, i am interested in tube thickness and diameter.
i might end up fabricating one.

thanks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Anyone find a winch mounting plate?
Nice one. btw, do you have the specifications for this. if not length and width dimensions, i am interested in tube thickness and diameter.
i might end up fabricating one.

thanks.
There was someone looking into doing a hidden winch for a Tundra on TL forums. I don't think it went anywhere though. You closest bet for a winch is custom or a whole new bumper. Search SilverTundraDave. He just put one on his Sequoia.

Balu4k - I don't have the specs. I'll take a caliper measurement of it. It's probably 2 - 2 1/4" pipe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Demello has cooked up a beautiful hidden winch mount for the tundra. I talked to Josh over there, he said I would mount to Sequoia, but our bumpers are a little different, so we would have to do some custom cutting.

@stom_m3 , could you send me the part numbers for the rear shock and custom spring for the lift. I'm turning in my 4Runner for a Sequoia soon, and it will be our family get away vehicle.

Cheers

And Merry Christmas to you all

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
Demello has cooked up a beautiful hidden winch mount for the tundra. I talked to Josh over there, he said I would mount to Sequoia, but our bumpers are a little different, so we would have to do some custom cutting.

@stom_m3 , could you send me the part numbers for the rear shock and custom spring for the lift. I'm turning in my 4Runner for a Sequoia soon, and it will be our family get away vehicle.

Cheers

And Merry Christmas to you all

I thought I responded to this but I must have forgot. Here is the information. Shocks are from Brian Jowett, Jowett Performance. They are built by King. Note that I still need to change the piston in the shock for additional rebound control but have not done it yet. You may want to ask for a different piston. The springs are custom from Coil Springs. I went through about 4 versions of springs before I got the correct height. Something with their measurement was off and couldn't figure it out. You will need to tell them the specifics for what you want and they will make it; i.e. how much load, how much lift, etc.

After watching a lot of their videos of Expedition Overland on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiyiTqpss-ihtLHz-juFxIQ , I'm seriously considering starting to convert our Sequoia into a more capable off-roader for more family trips to the back country.

Chris

I think the Sequoia is a good platform for beefing up. I've had good success with mine. A lot of people mention the size but really it's only 2" wider and 10" longer than an LC but it's 7" shorter than a Tacoma which people overland significantly. In the end, it fits me and my family well. The difficult part is the aftermarket support. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 · (Edited)
Been a while since I've posted pics.

A few changes. I swapped out my rotors and pads for Centric Cryo Rotors and Hawk pads. They work awesome. Very happy with the results. Should have done it a long time ago.

I also switched to the Toyo RT from MT tires. I was pretty bummed at first because the face of the tire is much narrower and the sidewalls less aggressive than the MT's. The sidewall bulges a lot more too. The other thing I noticed was how much softer and quieter the ride was. I was looking for a quieter ride but not necessarily softer. That said, they did well on the trails and I found that I didn't need to air them down very much for a compliant ride over the rough stuff. The other thing I was bummed about was the height of the tire. The overall diameter is 0.4" less. The last thing I want to do is lose height. I could use all the clearance I can get. I'm hoping Toyo comes out with an RT in 285/70/18 or 295/70/18 tire soon. I would love to get it.

We just got back from Sedona. LOTS of red dirt. We did the usual trails which included Vultee Arch (Devil's Bridge), Boynton Pass/ Loy Butte Rd to Forest 9549, Schnebly Hill Rd, and Soldier's Pass Rd. Some of the trails were technically challenging especially in the rain which made things very slick. Most were very rough and somewhat slower going. Great sights, definitely want to go back sometime. We didn't get to do Broken Arrow and Robber's Roost though.

On to the pics.

Road to Van Deren Cabin

View to Devil's Arch

Van Deren Road Steps

Red Rock mud. This stuff sticks... like feathers to molasses

Beautiful Sedona overlook from Schnebly Hill

Toyo RTs. Worked well. Much softer than the MTs. Cleared mud fine.

Schnebly Hill views :)

Amazing how small the Sequoia looks against the rock formations.

Decent ledge getting out of Schnebly Hill

Beginning of Soldier's Pass. These rocks were setup as a break over test for the rest of the trail. I passed :)

Soldier's Pass trail

Soldier's Pass views

The trail is pretty narrow. Luckily it wasn't crowded.

View from the 7 pools area

Trail leaving the 7 pools

Hope you enjoyed the pics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You're Sequoia is awesome, I'm glad people are using them to explore! That silver Sequoia looks great as well! My wife really likes the 2nd gen sequoia so we may be picking one up in the next 6 months or so. It will be her vehicle so I don't know how much she is going to let me modify it, but both yours and that silver one look amazing!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Actually, I'm in San Diego, my sister lives in Phoenix and spent the first part of Thanksgiving break in Sedona. I'll keep it in mind for next time. Would be fun to get out. Usually we try and find some place with something to see to make things interesting for the misses and kids.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been digging on your Sequoia and following your thread for a while. After boldly taking my 2008 SR5 where no stock Sequoia should go, and scuffing the bottom more than I'd like (no damage), my wife enthusiastically (and emphatically!) gave me a thumbs up on a lift and skid plates. I really like what you've done with yours and you've obviously proven the setup for 6 years with your adventures. My question is, if you had it to do all over again today, would you do anything different with your lift, tire/wheel setup, skid plates and/or rock sliders? Have you seen any new products or alternative lift approaches that you'd use if you were doing it today? Really appreciate your feedback.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your Sequoia looks great man. I'm wanting to lift 2 1/2 front and 1 1/2 rear, and add taller tires on stock limited or platinum rims. Any idea how large I could go on tire size? Looked like the silver sequoia was running stock rims and has a similar lift to yours. Thanks!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #119 ·
Been digging on your Sequoia and following your thread for a while. After boldly taking my 2008 SR5 where no stock Sequoia should go, and scuffing the bottom more than I'd like (no damage), my wife enthusiastically (and emphatically!) gave me a thumbs up on a lift and skid plates. I really like what you've done with yours and you've obviously proven the setup for 6 years with your adventures. My question is, if you had it to do all over again today, would you do anything different with your lift, tire/wheel setup, skid plates and/or rock sliders? Have you seen any new products or alternative lift approaches that you'd use if you were doing it today? Really appreciate your feedback.

Hi Wild. Thanks. The Sequoia has been really good to me and adventuring. So far it's been very capable. Here are some thoughts on some things;
  • Wheels - I really like the offset of my wheels. I would buy wheels with close to the same offset.
  • Tires - I've gone through 3 sets of Toyo MTs (275/70/18) and loved them. They were pretty noisy at 50% tread though. I recently went to Toyo RT's and was disappointed in the less aggressive look and narrower profile but man are they quiet. I also find I don't need to air down much or at all when going off road. Not all E load rated tires are the same and the RT's are a very soft E rated tire.
  • Front Shocks/springs - LOVE the Icons and would do it again in a heart beat.
  • Rear Springs - This was a bit of a trial and error as no one makes springs for the rear of the Sequoia. That said, I'm very happy with my final lift height on the custom springs. I would probably go a little higher (currently 2 1/2", would like 3") for more rock clearance but shocks then become an issue again.
  • Rear Shocks - These were custom too and unfortunately there was not enough dampening. King has been awesome in revalving real time but I need to have them add more dampening still.
  • Rock Rails - I like my rails and I like the fact that they are removable for refinishing. That said, I probably should have just welded them on and used spray paint and cardboard to refinish.
  • Skid Plates - I have yet to smack anything but I'm glad I have them. I like having the extra protection over the transfer case and gas tank which have zero protection. Also, I was surprised how much stiffness was added to the frame after adding the Rock Rails and Skid Plates. The frame is so much stiffer and I noticed it in the first 100ft of driving off. The skid plates added stiffness because they are fully boxed and welded to the frame. The rails same but bolted.
  • As for the different types of lifts out there. The most popular is still Revtek with stock shocks. If I didn't go with my current lift, I would do the Bilstein 5100s with a rear spacer. The Bilstein shocks are 1/2" longer than stock to account for the lift and prevent top out. My friend recently got the Ready Lift kit and it's ok. The Ready Lift rear shock extensions cause bottoming out issues as it reduces up travel of the shock.
  • Upper Control Arm - My Total Chaos UCA now has 80,000 miles. The upper ball is starting to rattle and most likely needs to be serviced. That said, I'm glad I have them. They provide additional droop when needing to articulate.
Hope that helps. Right now the only thing that bugs me is the narrowness of the RT's. Wish they made a 295/70/18. I may try the Nitto Ridge Grappler next in that size. I would also gain another 1/2" of ground clearance. :)

Your Sequoia looks great man. I'm wanting to lift 2 1/2 front and 1 1/2 rear, and add taller tires on stock limited or platinum rims. Any idea how large I could go on tire size? Looked like the silver sequoia was running stock rims and has a similar lift to yours. Thanks!

Hi MC - I would do the Bilstein 5100s with a rear spacer for a lift. As for tires on stock rims, my friend has 275/65/20 which is a 34.17". He had to trim his front skid plate. But other than that, he has no issues.

·
Registered
494 Posts
From the gas tank looking forward
I'm trying to develop a DIY transfer case skid concept.

The BudBuilt transfer case skid for Tundra has an additional cross member that supports the rear of the skid. See: 07-17 Tundra 5 Piece Combo $825. But yours does not.

Can you please provide additional photos or explanation about how your transfer case skid is supported. From your photo above it just looks like the skid plate is cantilevered off the transmission cross member; so far I'm not seeing how that is going to give much protection to the transfer case if the rear of the skid takes a hit. Maybe I'm missing something. Thanks for any explanation you can give.

101 - 120 of 166 Posts