Toyota Tundra Forums banner
141 - 160 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey guys. Need help. I have a 2010 limited 5.7 V8 Sequoia fully stock. I want to put 35x12.5 MTs (unclear which tire yet) and the appropriate lift to accommodate that. The applications would be Forest service roads (BC, Canada) with deep rolling ruts and deep mud pits. Also I tow a 6k# trailer and currently have no issues with sag while towing because of the weight distribution bars. First off, how can I get these tires to fit and what type of lift would best be suited for my applications and what height of lift would you guys recommend? I found a Ready Lift 2008-17 2&4WD Toyota Sequoia 3" lift kit Product No: 69-5015 RL
ReadyLift Toyota Sequoia 3" lift kit 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017
That states: Compatibility with a 4wd 2008-2017 Sequoia includes Tire Size: 35x12.50 tire on a 9" wheel with 6" of backspacing (+25)rims; 285/65/20 on 20x8.5 rims

What do you guys think of this lift for my applications? Also, regarding the wheel, I was hoping to use my current stock 20" rims to save money which I believe are 8" wide with a 60mm offset. I'm not sure if these would work with the Ready Lift above?

Additionally, do I need to do anything else to beef up the suspension for my applications? The reason I want to go with 35x12.5 tires is to get extra clearance when going through deep mud pits, incase of hidden rocks and the width with help with the mud. Also, the tire height plus a lift should really help with the deep rolling ruts so I don't catch the front or back ends. Any help is greatly appreciated as the guys at my local off road shop don't seem to be able to give me difnitive answers to my questions and I've lost confidence in their recommendations.

Thanks!
Alex T from Vancouver, BC

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Stom,

I've been lurking and reading through your thread, really like your Sequoia!

Was wondering if you (or anyone else) could give me some advice, I have a 2010 limited 5.7 V8 Sequoia fully stock at the moment. I want to put on 295/70R18 ATs (still deciding on which brand). I tow a 7K# trailer a lot and when I'm not towing I off road into lakes to go fishing which consists of deep rolling ruts, some rocks and deep mud pits. I have a 10ft aluminum strapped to the roof and motor and gear in the back. I wish I could actually rake the back higher as you mentioned, 3" would be great, but alas I don't want to go into custom springs.

So here's what I'm thinking:

-295/70R18 Tires (34.25"x11.6")
-9" wheels with a positive offset of 25
-Bilstein 5100s in the Front on 3rd setting for 2.5" lift
-Bilstein 5100s in the rear with a 2" coil spacer. (MtnClimber mentioned the rear 5100s were good to 2" of lift)

Do you think I can get those tires on with that setup and incur no rubbing with just the usual mods of mud flap removal and maybe a slight trim on the skid plate?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks man! Your Sequoia looks great with those tires. Looks like you took off the running boards. I'm about to trade in my 04 Sequoia for an '11 or 12 Ltd or Plat.

Any other mods you had to make to run 275/65/20? Did it weaken the acceleration/power? Any rubbing during turning or flex, axel articulation?

Matt
Thank you. I did remove the running boards due to personal preference on aesthetics. I did no other modifications to run the tire minus tweaking the front skid plate a tiny bit. I noticed a loss in power/acceleration but its not horrible due to the 5.7. I have yet to get any other rubbing after tweaking the front skid plate.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
Well I've actually rebuilt my thread with all new picture links since Photobucket decided to start charging 10X what they previously did. So I moved everything over to Smugmug. Anyways enough of the *****in'. I just put new tires on my Sequoia as shown in the previous thread. I just thought I would actually add it on my build thread too.

Time to replace my Toyo RTs. Overall I liked the performance of the RTs but I wanted to get a little bigger tire for more clearance. I also didn't want any rubbing issues. The RTs pictured below started to roar quite a bit at 25k miles and as pictured had 37k miles. With a better alignment, they could have easily made it to 50k.

That said, I wanted to get more clearance and adding a slightly larger tire was an easy way to get it. I Decided to go from a 275/70/18 (33.2") to a 285/70/18 (34"). There are only a few tires made in this size and only one with the new aggressive AT style tread. The great thing is NO rubbing! I only have 15 miles on them but so far so good. The ride quality is very good and similar to the RT's from a quietness perspective. I would rate the stiffness slightly stiffer than the RT's but not nearly as stiff as the MT's. My next trip to Death Valley is May 3rd. I'll update this thread with the performance.

Enjoy pics below.

Worn Toyo RT's

Nitto Ridge Grappler

Toyo RT vs Nitto Ridge Grappler

Ready to be mounted

Side view

Clearance to front lower guard (driver side)

Clearance to rear mud flap (passenger side)

Money shot

steven

·
Registered
99 Posts
I love the Ridge Grapplers. Looking good!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Looks great. We put the ridge grapplers on our new Jeep and have a little over 10K miles on them. Went wheeling in Moab for a week and they did great at 17-18psi. I probably could have lowered them to 12psi pretty easily, but the Sequoia is quite a bit heavier. They were super quiet at the beginning, and just like our KO2’s on the Sequoia, they will get louder as they wear. I think you’ll be impressed on the Sequoia over those Toyo RT’s. I had Toyo AT II’s before the ko2’s on the sequoia, and they were the worst tires I’ve ever owned. They were super loud, super stiff, super hard compound, and sucked in nearly everything but hot dry pavement.

Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newbie question...I have a stock 2012 SR5 Sequoia and just want to lift just the rear of the rig 1-2” mainly for towing purposes. What’s the simplest way of doing so? New coil springs? Spacers? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
493 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Love those tires. Were you able to fit the spare too?

There is a bolt on flange next to the diff carrier that needs to be removed for the tire to fit. The flange is used to locate the spare tire and wedge it into place. As long as your diligent about raising your spare into the space, it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Hey stom, do you work/live in the Sorrento Valley Area? seen a nice lifted white 2nd gen in that area, thought it may be you.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Hey stom, do you work/live in the Sorrento Valley Area? seen a nice lifted white 2nd gen in that area, thought it may be you.
Yes, there's a good chance that was me. I have to say I've been seeing more modded Sequoia's pop up these days. Maybe we can finally get better aftermarket support some day...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Good Evening! I recently accquired an ‘08 SR5 with heated leather and sunroof. I had recently sold my ‘03 LX470. I am really enjoying this 5.7L beast! I bought my BigBurg with the ReadyLift 3”F/2”R SST Lift Kit already installed. I love the height. Currently she has well worn 275/70/18 BFG T/A KO2’s. I have just tinted the front windows and windshield. My Spyder LED headlamps have arrived but arent installed....and I’m working on a grill upgrade. Good to find a Sequioa forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
It's been a while. The Sequoia is still going strong. The Nitto Ridge Grapplers are about 1/3 tread left. Starting to roar a little bit more but nothing like the Toyo MTs. That said, I took the plunge into the roof top tent scene finally. Along with that, I got a 23Zero awning and I made a custom rack for my gas, Maxtrax, and shovel. Enjoy the pics;

Here's a side view with the tent. I got the Tepui Autana 3 person. Really it's more like 2+. I really wanted to get an iKamper but it takes up so much roof and I still wanted a place to put other items.

I mounted the tent directly to the rails of the vehicle. Works perfectly. I had the tent rails biased to the driver side with the passenger side flush. I added an awning direct to the rails.

Here's the tent open. It's almost invisible with the Camo. LOL.

Here's the 23Zero awning mounted. I got the 62".

Side view of the awning relative to the tent. It was a balance of having the awning far enough away from the tent to use the window poles yet close enough to not stick out past the body.

Here's a close up view of the mounting. The nice thing about the 23Zero is that it comes with mounting brackets.

Here's the start of my rack to hold my Maxtrax, gas, and shovel.

Mount for Maxtrax complete.

Mount for Rotopax complete.

Finished product. Gripfist holds the shovel

Heading to Death Valley in April. Can't wait!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·
Here's the complete picture of everything. I guess the downside of having the gas there is not being able to prop open the window but better than being stranded.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm considering lifting a 2008 limited 4x4 with a readylift 3inch. However, when I'm towing a trailer, I want to prevent sag. Is it possible to also install rear airbags to do so? What's the best option here.

141 - 160 of 166 Posts