Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, due to a lack of info on here, I shall attempt to start my own mini-FAQ about Sequoia mirrors. I have a 2002 4WD Limited Sequoia with power folding (but not heated) mirrors. I think this info probably applies at least for 2001-2004; probably for all years.

1) How many kinds of mirrors are there for the Sequoia?:
It looks like there are three (I now own examples of all three):
a) SR5 manual folding, power adjustable, not heated, not power-folding
b) Limited, power adjustable, power folding, not heated
c) Limited, power adjustable, power folding, heated

All three of these have different and incompatible wiring harness connectors, at least on the mirror end. Likewise, the harness connector in your door will fit only the mirror type Sequoia originally came with.

2) How do you remove/take apart the mirror assembly?:

Removing the mirror assembly from the vehicle is pretty easy; pull of the tweeter cover (or blank plastic cover) on the inside of the door, undo three nuts and disconnect the Molex electrical connector, and the mirror assembly comes right off the door.

Note that you cannot get parts for any of the assemblies, except maybe mirror glass for the SR5; the dealer will only sell you entire mirror assemblies.

3) How do you disassemble the mirror assembly, to replace the glass or change the color (painted) panel on the back of the mirror?

For the SR5-type mirror, you can just pull up on the lower edge of the mirror glass and it pops out.

As far as I can tell, you can't disassemble the other two types of mirrors - if you try to pop the glass off, you damage the heating element which is epoxied to the back of the glass. Likewise, there is no way to get the color panel off these types either - since you can't get the glass off, you can't get to the two screws and plastic clips holding it on.

Anyone out there please feel free to tell me different.

In my case, I cut the unwanted color panel off from the outside with a dremel, and glued the desired one on, without using the screws. Likewise, my desired one was loose already since it was from my original damaged mirror.

Then I massacred the wiring harness of my heated/power folding mirror and frankensteined on the needed connector from my original damaged non-heated/power-folding mirror (like I said, I had all three). Not elegant, but I didn't want to buy any more mirrors off of eBay...

So, the lesson I'm trying to pass along here is: if you have anything other than an SR5 non-power-folding, non-heated mirror, you must get the exact (color-matched) complete whole assembly to replace it, as you really can't practically modify it or mix and match parts from another assembly.

All comments appreciated.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
As far as I know, there are no screws holding in the color or chrome panel on the backside of the mirror, it is just held on my clips. I replaced my Tundra covers with color keyed covers, and they just snap off, snap on, didn't have to take the glass out either, just move the glass out of the way and stick a screw driver in there :)

My Tundra mirrors are heated, and it's easy to get the glass out, just pull, then disconnect the two wires for the heated option. I replaced my heated mirrors with heated turn signal mirrors.

On the seqouia, how do you retract the mirrors? is it all automatic? Hmmm, maybe I could add that to my Tundra :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guarantee you there are two screws holding on the color panel on Sequoia mirrors (at least on the early years) - I can post a picture if doubts remain. You can get one screw out (barely) by moving the mirror around and creative screwdriver use, but the other one is HOPELESSLY buried.

Also, you can't pull the glass out enough on the Sequoia mirror to get to the heater connectors without peeling the heating elements off the mirror, in my experience.

There's no option for a chrome panel on the Sequoia mirrors, so maybe they are a little different than the Tundra.

On the Sequoia LTD, if you have the power folding mirrors, there's a button that's part of the mirror adjust switch to fold them both back. It sounds like you have the SR5 mirrors, if your's don't power-fold, which means that access to the guts is relatively easy.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Thats weird that they would change the mirrors for sequoias (the mirrors are interchangable between a Tundra and Sequoia, including the glass) I believe you though :)

Our neighboring business owner at work has an 07 Sequoia Limited and has chrome mirror covers. They are original, they were there the day he bought it, plus he's not the "modder" type:)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably there are minor differences between the model years. Like I said, I'm pretty sure about 01-04, but not later.

It sounds like heated plus manual-folding is a variation of the SR5 basic mirror, available on the Tundra only. It's when you get into the power-folding versions that you're truly screwed as far as access goes.

Having taken both apart, I can tell you that the guts of a power-folding version are completely different than a manual folding one, regardless of the other options. The shell looks the same, but internal mounting points are different, so you can't transplant the guts of one type to the other (that was a shortcut I tried earlier, when I only owned two of the three possible types...).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Probably there are minor differences between the model years. Like I said, I'm pretty sure about 01-04, but not later.

It sounds like heated plus manual-folding is a variation of the SR5 basic mirror, available on the Tundra only. It's when you get into the power-folding versions that you're truly screwed as far as access goes.

Having taken both apart, I can tell you that the guts of a power-folding version are completely different than a manual folding one, regardless of the other options. The shell looks the same, but internal mounting points are different, so you can't transplant the guts of one type to the other (that was a shortcut I tried earlier, when I only owned two of the three possible types...).
Hi I have both a 2002 & a 2003 Sequoia, The 2002 is a limited Black with Power folding Mirrors.
Does anyone know where I can buy a driver side (LH) Power Folding Mirror other than the Dealership?
New or Used please respond to [email protected] Thank You - Scott

·
Registered
7 Posts
ebay, car-part.com, i got mine from uneedapart.com. Just be aware that you will receive a bunch of overpriced ($100+) annoying emails through uneedacarpart for a day. I was having trouble finding what I wanted on ebay but found a passenger side limited (power, heated) for $60 shipped on uneedacarpart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts