Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start an Off Road Sequoia Thread.

Not much out there on the real world off road capabilities of the Sequoia. Ive looked all over the web and there are a few videos and articles here and there but not much of Owners personal experiances off roading with a Sequoia.

I recently Purchansed my Sequoia, and i live in Muscat, Oman. This country is an Off Roaders dream, 80% of the country is uninhabited. Two Large deserts here, the empty quarter and Wahiba Sands, the latter being more intense driving as the red rolling dunes goes on for hundreds of Kilometers. Oman is also well know for its Wadi's Wadi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia after rain its a ball to go bashing in those river beds.

Ther are also many mountains and plateaus that are a rally drivers dream here. Ill post a video of one of our previous trips. Its not a Sequoia but it gives you an idea of the some of the terraine found in Oman. www.[B]youtube[/B].com/watch?v=ELbXIBsWG80 and www.[B]youtube[/B].com/watch?v=tKLshzKsS4Y

My buddy is a Pro rally driver riding a polaris RZRS hope you like the video i was on my Yamaha grizzly

·
Registered
165 Posts
That video is nuts. Props to the driver for his skills and the passenger for looking much more relaxed that I would be!

I'd also love to see what other owners are doing. I don't offroad for sport as much as I do to get somewhere to hike or camp. Have had the truck on numerous easy-moderate trails through the desert and mountains and the truck never broke a sweat. The long wheelbase is somewhat offset by the good ground clearance you get with just a mild lift and tires. Nothing you can do about tight corners and narrow roads, though. Pinstripes are pretty much a guaranty.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mswscco,

Yeah that driver is crazy talented. He raced on the WRC so hes all together on a diffrent level. The second video that included Rally 2 in the title was amazing. looked like he almost lost it a few times there but hadled that polaris like a boss.

Same thing with us as far as main goal is camping when we take out our cars as opposed to toys. But we always make sure to take the road less traveled! i wasnt planning on lifting my truck, ill make that desicion after testing it off road in the conditions here first.

i appreciate you checking out those videos and look forward to hearing more about adventures!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking for a full bra for front end of 2011 Sequoia............and cannot find anyone that makes or offers. Or for Tundra...which should be the same?

any ideas??

·
Preferred Dealer
1,170 Posts
The Tundra TRD package skid plate would likely suffice very well for what you are doing. You'll need the gas tank straps to mount it... have to inspect one to verify fit. Used will be the way to go, as they are expensive new. Drop me a note if you need more info or want something a bit heavier.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Of course interested... :laughing3d: Isent you e-mail let me know when is good time to stop by

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hey Brian,

Can you give us some info on your setup? Do you have shocks for both front and rear? Springs to match? How much lift? Approximate cost? At some point, I'd like to upgrade from the Revtek kit I have now. Coilovers would probably be out of the budget. Thanks.

If you get to the point where you need some good suspension, drop me a note. We have some nice King Shocks for the Sequoia platform.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had my 03 Sequoia Limited 4WD for about a year now and take it off road all the time. With the running boards and the mud flaps taken off plus a set of 265/75R17 Yokohama Geolander ATs she does quite well. Mainly I take it to Rausch Creek in PA. The video is when I still had the all season tires on.

Toyota Sequoia Off Road - YouTube

Tremont-20120701-00347.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
I will be hitting you up as well Brian for some suspension before too long here; going to take care of the transmission first (IPT valve body mod) then will start scraping more $$ together for a little lift.

I haven't done any hardcore wheelin' or anything in my Sequoia yet but she has seen her fair share of national forest roads in the short time I've had her. My goal is to just get her to about 3-4" of lift to gain some clearance for some more capability and better snow clearance, we get tons here in the Cascades come November and stays thru July. Don't want to go to crazy as it is a DD rig/family vehicle to some extent.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Took the Family out on a day trip to a local Wadi (Wadi AL Khoudh) for some mild off roading.

My rig is essentially a stock platinum model except for some asthetic mods. Stock rims and stock suspension.

Handled like a beast, in some of the deeper creeks we went through about 2ft of water i need to engage the 4lo as the ABS kept kicking in. I did notice quite a loud whin when in 4lo but maybe that had to do with the fact it was very wet.

ill post a few pics once i resize the ones i have there huge!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the pics,

IMG_3325_zps82af9de5.jpg IMG_3331_zpsa35b00ca.jpg IMG_3346_zps47423122.jpg IMG_3347_zps25b82d47.jpg IMG_3348_zps51d82f9a.jpg IMG_3349_zps08ef97c1.jpg IMG_3350_zpsde63b9af.jpg IMG_3351_zps5b3f46fa.jpg IMG_3352_zps34042d4e.jpg IMG_3353_zps9bf08573.jpg IMG_3357_zpsca3ad6a7.jpg IMG_3358_zps10cc66c7.jpg IMG_3359_zps467ab4ed.jpg IMG_3360_zps4481f692.jpg IMG_3361_zps05f1e56a.jpg IMG_3362_zps85d70800.jpg IMG_3367_zpsbc5c4051.jpg IMG_3308_zps6dc0d14c.jpg IMG_3314_zpsa9df4774.jpg

Good Fun!

I could have used some off road tires and rims, and a small lift, but even stock it handled like a beast.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I could have used some off road tires and rims, and a small lift, but even stock it handled like a beast.
Nice pics!

Just don't wait to buy the tires and lift before you actually get stuck or blow a tire on a rock... I got stuck twice with the stock tires. Luckily, I was with a friend who was able to pull me out.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took the family out to a Desert Camp in the Wahiba Desert in Oman and managed to due a bit of Dune Bashing.

I was a bit tenative about taking out the truck on its 20's in the sand but i heard a few ppl taking them out to the dunes and it handled fine so i figured why not.

Well true enough i popped out the # 50 FUSE, that disengaged the VSC and ATrac, deflated to about 15 psi and hit the dunes with the boys. Since i had my kids with me and no support vehicle i decided to take the easier dunes " bunny " if you will but even that route had a couple of nice 100 meter drops. Ill post the picks.

Through out the ride the truck handleed everything and more so easily. Climbed some large dunes with ease and didnt get stuck once. I was a bit concerned about the weight of the rig but the 5.7 V8 and the torque made the truck feel so light out there. Kids enjoyed!

I look forward to modifiying the truck a bit to better handle a more gruelling dune bashing session.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
203 Posts
Took the family out to a Desert Camp in the Wahiba Desert in Oman and managed to due a bit of Dune Bashing.

I was a bit tenative about taking out the truck on its 20's in the sand but i heard a few ppl taking them out to the dunes and it handled fine so i figured why not.

Well true enough i popped out the # 50 FUSE, that disengaged the VSC and ATrac, deflated to about 15 psi and hit the dunes with the boys. Since i had my kids with me and no support vehicle i decided to take the easier dunes " bunny " if you will but even that route had a couple of nice 100 meter drops. Ill post the picks.

Through out the ride the truck handleed everything and more so easily. Climbed some large dunes with ease and didnt get stuck once. I was a bit concerned about the weight of the rig but the 5.7 V8 and the torque made the truck feel so light out there. Kids enjoyed!

I look forward to modifiying the truck a bit to better handle a more gruelling dune bashing session.
Any pics of the trip? What is the next mod you are considering?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I guess I missed the post with the pics. Nice shots! I like the black housing headlights. Were they pricey?
Im planning a small two inch level. ( revtek) i would like the body to be a bit higher helps going up or coming down a dune. Baha bumpers look hideous so im sticking with stock. althoguh i saw a nice stealth bumper for the bottom half of a tundra bumper that looks nice but that would require to much work. i would have to mod the front bumper and grille if im not mistaken.

A buddy of mine here owns a set of TRD rock warriors that he had from his tundra. im trying to finagle a sale from him. fingers crossed. So rims and tires. Looking for about an extra 1.5 inch in sidewall. I fell in love with the Fuel Trophy rim D552, but the 18's would stick out about 2.8 inches so im a bit tenative. not sure id like the look?

Im also not sure on tires. I like the meaner look of BFG KO but concerned they may dig in they sand. Also looking at the Dynapros. Not as aggressive as the BFG or look as nice but should perform better in sand.

Also getting an HID conversion done from Lightwerkz. I already contacted them and set up the order but ill be pulling the trigger on it in about a month. I like the mini projectors that just screw in with the gatlin gun shrouds. Will cost me about 350 USD with shipping to Oman.

I wanted an onboard compressor, but only if i find one that can fit in that little compartment in the trunk on the left, otherwise ill stick with my carry one.

and finally im looking at those Gobi roof racks but they are not cheap.

That should keep my busy for a while.

Oh and I had those painted as well for like 50 bucks for both.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Im planning a small two inch level. ( revtek) i would like the body to be a bit higher helps going up or coming down a dune. Baha bumpers look hideous so im sticking with stock. althoguh i saw a nice stealth bumper for the bottom half of a tundra bumper that looks nice but that would require to much work. i would have to mod the front bumper and grille if im not mistaken.

A buddy of mine here owns a set of TRD rock warriors that he had from his tundra. im trying to finagle a sale from him. fingers crossed. So rims and tires. Looking for about an extra 1.5 inch in sidewall. I fell in love with the Fuel Trophy rim D552, but the 18's would stick out about 2.8 inches so im a bit tenative. not sure id like the look?

Im also not sure on tires. I like the meaner look of BFG KO but concerned they may dig in they sand. Also looking at the Dynapros. Not as aggressive as the BFG or look as nice but should perform better in sand.

Also getting an HID conversion done from Lightwerkz. I already contacted them and set up the order but ill be pulling the trigger on it in about a month. I like the mini projectors that just screw in with the gatlin gun shrouds. Will cost me about 350 USD with shipping to Oman.

I wanted an onboard compressor, but only if i find one that can fit in that little compartment in the trunk on the left, otherwise ill stick with my carry one.

and finally im looking at those Gobi roof racks but they are not cheap.

That should keep my busy for a while.

Oh and I had those painted as well for like 50 bucks for both.
Sounds like you will be busy. I am wanting to do the Revtek kit front and back as my next project.

So the inside of the headlights were painted and then reinstalled? I had no idea that was possible.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts