Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Sequoia and the rear (tailgate) power window has ceased working. It does not work with the remote or the dash switch. The owner's manual does not show a switch for the tailgate motor, nor was I able to find anything useful on the Toyota wiring diagrams posted in the technical part of TS. Any suggestions to avoid a costly trip to the dealer?

Thanks
Duncan

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
cduncanf said:
I have a 2001 Sequoia and the rear (tailgate) power window has ceased working. It does not work with the remote or the dash switch. The owner's manual does not show a switch for the tailgate motor, nor was I able to find anything useful on the Toyota wiring diagrams posted in the technical part of TS. Any suggestions to avoid a costly trip to the dealer?

Thanks
Duncan
There alot of threads about this. I herd it happens alot becuse people don't use the rear window much. I got into the habit of rolling the rear window all the way down and then back up again each time I get gas just to make sure it's used. I also herd that sometimes the hot sun makes the black rubber seal stick to the glass if I where you I would have someone push the button to roll the window down and at the same time try to pull the glass down with your hands to help the motor out a little. You might just have a stuck rear window. Let us know how you make out.....Johnnny

·
Registered
105 Posts
Duncan,

This exact thing happened to my 2001 Sequoia. The window was never used and when I read about problems others were having, I went out in the garage to try mine. It didn't work. Even though we never used it, I wanted it to work as it should. Most others were having the dealer replace the motor under warranty. Mine was out of warranty so I decided to try to fix it myself. I removed the plastic trim from the inside of the rear hatch so I would have access to the motor and wiring. Once I got to the motor, I checked for current reaching the motor. While my wife depressed the switch on the dash for the rear glass, I checked with a voltmeter. Electricity was getting to the motor so I figured the problem was in the motor itself. While she continued to depress the switch, I struck the motor with the handle end of a screwdriver. I hit it really hard since I had nothing to lose. The motor started working and the window went down. Now, I have her put the glass down and up each time she fuels up. We've had no problems since and that's been some time ago. If you need help with the procedure to remove the plastic trim in order to access the motor, PM me and I'll see what I can do. I hope this helps.

Stan

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too could use some assistance in removing th erear plastic panel on the tailgate of the sequoia. thanks..
I just did this based on several threads on the subject. Start with the top plastic and get your fingers under the edge and pull outward. You'll get the clips to release just keep going. Repeat on the sides. On the main panel remove the pull down strap by removing the plastic cover and unscrewing. Starting at the bottom of the main panel, pull out until the clips start to pop out, then working each side and finally lift up the entire panel to free the rubber window molding.

Once inside, remove the hex nuts holding the black metal cover on. You can leave that metal panel hang by the wiring while you work on the motor. Once you see the motor, have someone hold the switch down and rap on the motor a few times. Mine freed up with a couple wacks and its been good since. This breaks the rust from the brushes in the motor (so I've read). If its starts working, just use it occasionally to keep the rust from creating an electrical gap in the circuit.

There more threads on this but that should get you inside and I'd bet you can get it apart and working in less than an hour. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The banging on the motor didn't work for me, but removing the clip and spring as noted in the TSB did work for me...

There are a couple of threads here on stuck Sequoia rear windows that actually have scans of the Toyota Service Bulletin that describe the process.

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is a TSB for this, simple 15 minuite fix for the AVERAGE mechanic. There is a clip with qa small spring under the door panel. Fixed mine in 15 mins. Several threads about this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank goodness for this web site and sites like it!!!

Mike Erdman Toyota on Merritt Island in Florida told me I would need a new rear window motor at $300 plus labor. I decided I would live with window not working as I very rarely used it anyway. After reading various posts on this subject and finding the following Toyota Service Bulletin (http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/skyvisions/2008-02-25_151840_01_seq.pdf) I went home and removed the metal stopper as outlined on item 14 of the bulletin. I also "tapped" the motor for good measure and disconnected and reconnected wiring harness. Nothing happened until I re-secured the metal panel back to the door and then the window started working. I suspect it was the metal stopper that was the solution and I also suspect the circuit might be grounded by the metal panel and that is why it only started working after I got it all back in place. Repair only took about 30 mins and it cost ZERO!!!

I have fixed several items on my 2002 Sequoia myself thanks to this site... For example; the rear door handle that broke, blown front door speakers and the bulb for the "drive" signal on the dash. These are all items that appear to be common issues on this car and things that can be repaired for a fraction of the cost from a dealer if you are somewhat "handy" and prepared to fix yourself.

Thanks Tundra Solutions!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thank goodness for this web site and sites like it!!!

I have fixed several items on my 2002 Sequoia myself thanks to this site... For example; the rear door handle that broke, blown front door speakers and the bulb for the "drive" signal on the dash.
Wait, you fixed the drive signal light? I didn't know that was a common issue...

I better do a few more searches.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a 05 that the rear hatch window and the wipers did not work. So after reading several threads on this site, I removed the rear panel and cover plate. Disconnected the wiring harness and window drive motor. Re-connected everything and viola, everything now works as it should.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Wait, you fixed the drive signal light? I didn't know that was a common issue...

I better do a few more searches.
I've replaced mine twice in 200K miles. Piece of cake to remove the instrument cluster and swap out the bulb. First time I didn't know what to expect and so when I found it was a bad bulb I just swapped it out with one of the lesser used bulbs (1 or 2 gear I think). I was so easy I went ahead and bought the right bulb and replaced it again; this time with all inidicators working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been reading the thread of this posting regarding the Sequoia rear window. I have a 2006 model and the rear window along with the wiper, washer and defogger all stopped working.

I followed the procedure of removing the rear door panel and tapped on the motor while another person pushed the window button. 5 or 6 taps and the window rolled down. The wiper, washer and defogger all work now too. Toyota wanted $800 to replace the ECU and Motor. Save your money. Try this first it is fairly easy to do if you take your time and carefully remove all the parts.

The finished door covers are all snapped in. The only screw you have to remove is the pull handle which is very easy to remove. Slide the cover off and there is a recangular black cover plate and a wire harness that plugs in to the ECU. Remove the wire harness from the ECU and remove the snaps that hold the wire harness to the black cover plate. Take out the 6 or 8 screws holding the black cover plate in place. There are three plastic snaps that hold the black cover plate in place after you remove all screws. These pop out with a screw driver. Once you remove the cover you will see the motor on the passenger side of the door.

What I did was close the door, reconnected the wire harness to the ECU and then had my wife push the button while I tapped the motor. Worked like a charm. The ECU is riveted to the black cover plate so you have to sort of keep it hanging off while you tap on the motor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Duncan,

This exact thing happened to my 2001 Sequoia. The window was never used and when I read about problems others were having, I went out in the garage to try mine. It didn't work. Even though we never used it, I wanted it to work as it should. Most others were having the dealer replace the motor under warranty. Mine was out of warranty so I decided to try to fix it myself. I removed the plastic trim from the inside of the rear hatch so I would have access to the motor and wiring. Once I got to the motor, I checked for current reaching the motor. While my wife depressed the switch on the dash for the rear glass, I checked with a voltmeter. Electricity was getting to the motor so I figured the problem was in the motor itself. While she continued to depress the switch, I struck the motor with the handle end of a screwdriver. I hit it really hard since I had nothing to lose. The motor started working and the window went down. Now, I have her put the glass down and up each time she fuels up. We've had no problems since and that's been some time ago. If you need help with the procedure to remove the plastic trim in order to access the motor, PM me and I'll see what I can do. I hope this helps.

Stan
Stan is right here that this will work once or twice, but the real issue I have found (after doing this fix 3 times) was that the motor is not powerful enough and the back window tends to bind more because of the seal around it and the tracks. The last time I fixed this, I took a whole can of white silicone lubricant and lubed upp all of the moving parts and tracks. Before, it would start sticking again after about a month. Now, it has worked without a problem for over 7 months and I only put it down in good weather, but it has not gone down for a month at a time and still worked. If you are going to the trouble to do this repair of taking it all apart, I highly suggest lubing it all up!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wish there was a diagram ... not sure I can follow the directions as I've never done anything like this before. I'm afraid to start... but I REALLY miss my back window being open.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Funny thing, after about 15 minutes searching for this fix after I bought my 01 4x4 last week, I found the PDF with the TSB fix that solved my issue. Removed the hatch door paneling (with the right tool, might I add- no damage done) and removed that little clip and spring. Voila- done. The guy that sold me the truck even gave me 600 bucks off the asking price as well and it only took me about 30 minutes to fix. Just follow the one step- 14, If memory serves. Huge thanks to you guys for posting that, it saved me a bunch of money and rescued one of my favorite features of the Toyota trucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
regarding the inoperative rear window on 2001 Sequoia...I followed the suggestions above to simply remove the "metal stopper" as per #14 in the TSB, which can be done without following steps #11 through 13. A couple of firm raps on the motor for good measure and...success! Saved the $350 or so for the trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it's worth trying to do it yourself. I did, and lo and behold, it worked. I just took the back panel off, and the plate that's in front of the motor. Then I tapped the motor with the head of a screw driver while I pressed the rear window button on the remote. The window came down after the third or fourth tap on the motor. Now I will roll my window down and back up every time I drive or get gas which is about once a week since my wife is the primary driver. It has been working for more 6 months now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001-2007 Sequoia rear window not working

I have a 2005 Toyota Sequoia that had the Technical Service Bulletin repair for the inoperative rear power window done at about 30k miles. The problem occurred again at about 32k miles. Then the dealer wanted $600 to fix it again. The rear window / defroster / wiper problem has occurred on the 2001 thru 2007 models. It was a simple fix which could have been done at the factory by removing two bolts and a small gear "braking" device that malfunctions. In my opinion, this issue should have been a factory recall, but it seems Toyota continued to install these defective parts and let the dealer fix the problem later. If you were one of the unlucky people that got caught after the warranty period, like me, they don't care. I drove my Sequoia for two more years before looking on the net and finding the 4/28/2010 Toyota Technical Bulletin. You can find it here:

http://www.toyotapart.com/Back_Door_Power_Window_Inoperative_TSB011510.pdf

I was able to fix my power rear window problem and the inoperative wiper/washer and defroster. I set up a website with photos and notes to show how I did it. I hope this helps. Toyota Window Repair

I am really upset with how Toyota has handled this problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My rear window, rear defroster, and rear wiper/washer were all not working. I just disconnected the negative battery cable and removed the small metal piece/2 bolts/spring mechanism from inside the tailgate as per the TSB. Once I reconnected the negative battery cable, all was well again. I didn't have to replace either the ECU module or the rear window motor. Just the small metal clip. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 108 Posts