Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone. Wife and I moved up to a Sequoia from a 2016 4runner Trail Premium because we had a 3rd kid. After a exhausting search I found a 2008 Sequoia Limited 4wd(no rear air bags)with just 69,000 miles. Truck looks brand new inside in out. We have grown to love it and has more than enough room for the family. Now its time to make this truck better. I have done about all the research I can possibly do on the subject of lifts and now it comes down to experience and preference. I have ruled out any type of just spacer lift. I have ruled out the Toytec system. I have decided on the Dobinson system. The question I have is this....Do I use the Dobinson shocks or bilstein 5100?
I have a full OME suspension(medium, with ARB bull bar) on my 2006 4runner Sport Edition and have no complaints, great on and off road ride. The sequoia is my wife's ride so it needs to a good not "to stiff" ride. Plans will be rough dirt roads, forrest roads, bad south east paved back roads, pulling a boat and camper. Tire plans are 33" General Grabber AT/X on factory 18" wheels.
Also 1st gen offroad offers the Dobinson Springs for a 1.75" and 2.5" lift. Dobinson Direct says they have not tested the 2.5" option on the Sequoia and that 1st gen is using another spring from another application. Any thoughts?

2008 Sequoia Limited

2016 Trail Premium(daystar level) sold for sequoia

2006 Runner Sport 4wd. owned for 11 years 209,000 miles!! OME lift, ARB bumper, Black oak ditch lights, Aurua 9" lights

1988 Runner. 350,000+miles on original 22re, 5speed(sold) Not lifted, OME shocks, ABR, IPF lights. AC even still worked great! Wish I still had this one!!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Compare the extended and collapsed lengths of the Dobinson and Bilstein shocks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I looked them up with what I could find on 1st gen off-road. Seem close to each other. But I don’t understand what I m reading or how to apply it.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ok. I looked them up with what I could find on 1st gen off-road. Seem close to each other. But I don’t understand what I m reading or how to apply it.
When lifting you need an extended suspension travel range to provide enough droop so that under static loading the suspension remains near the center of travel. When the Dobinsons parts were first introduced to the US market, I did a comparison and came to the conclusion that the rear Dobinsons shocks had a shorter travel range than the Bilstein 5100s. I was afraid the Dobinsons rear shocks would not allow enough droop. I haven't revisited this so don't know if that is still the case today.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gotcha. Thank you! Below are the specs from the 1st gen off road site. The dobinson shocks are the ones they recommend for the dobinson 2.5” springs.

Dobinson
Front shocks Rear shocks
C 17.50”. C 12.55”
E 24.25”. E 18.35

Bilstein 5100
Front shocks. Rear Shocks
C 17.77. C 13.71
E 24.32. E 19.21

·
Registered
492 Posts
The short extended length of the Dobinsons rear shock was my concern. Not sure that would be suitable for either 1.75 or 2.5 inch springs. My experience is that the rear 5100s work very well with a 1.75 inch rear lift.

Also be aware that the 1.75" Dobinsons rear springs may give a stiffer ride than the OEM rear springs + a rear spacer. My recollection is that the 1.75 inch Dobinsons rear springs had a somewhat higher spring rate, 624 lb/in, than the stock springs, ~480 lb/in. (Quote: "specifically suited to the additional accessory load (weight) on the vehicle.") Maybe fine for towing and carrying heavy loads, but not so nice for light loads around town. The Dobinsons 2.5" variable-rate rear springs should ride like OEM (1st Gen Off-Road site says spring rate is 480-600lbs per inch).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome!!! Thank you so much for your guidance and wisdom. Will the 5100 be long enough with the 2.5” spring? If so my final decision will be

Dobinson 2.5” springs front and back

Bilstien 5100 front and back
Front set at 0.

Firestone helped air bags in rear coils to assist with addded weight if needed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Will the 5100 be long enough with the 2.5” spring?
I can't say for sure that you won't sometimes feel the shock reaching its full extension. But that should be pretty rare in the type of driving that you are planning. Please report back as I'm sure your results will be of interest to many others on this forum.

·
Registered
492 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you did not realize that about the 5100. I thought you could put it at a 0 lift setting. Who provides a diff drop?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Would I need to change the UCAs? I had to change them on the 06 4Runner, but it was a 3” lift.

·
Registered
492 Posts
google for 2008 sequoia differential drop and you should find many options from about $20 and up on ebay and most sites selling lift kits. I've never had one so can't recommend anything specific. Its so simple that I suppose they are all the same except maybe differences in quality of materials and fasteners.

From what I have read, you can probably get away with not changing the UCAs at 2.5 inches lift.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Your sequoia looks great. What size BFG all-terains did you go with after the lift?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your sequoia looks great. What size BFG all-terains did you go with after the lift?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
thank you! I put the bfgs on a while ago. Way before the lift. Tire size is
275/70r18 on 2019 tundra wheels.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@jkorey I would love to see more pictures of your Sequoia post lift. What are your first impressions of how it handles post lift?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for posting @jkorey. Nice setup! I have the 2.5" dobinsons lift on order for my sequoia. The 2.5" has rear progressive coils which I thought would be more compliant than the 1.75" linear rear coils. Any comment on how the ride is compared to stock? How much actual lift did you measure?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hey @Hike. Thanks for the compliments. Your reason for ordering the 2.5 was mine as well. It has been a few months now since the install. We have some miles on it both unloaded and loaded pulling our 28'(total length) camper. Pulling the camper was the main reason for the suspension upgrade and not just a level kit or just shocks. The ride quality is excellent. It rides smooth unloaded. The springs did take away all body roll, and brake nose dive. It is my wife's daily driver(she is 5'3", that is reason for leaving the running boards) and she has not mentioned anything bad about ride quality over stock. The Dobinson suspension greatly improved towing capabilities as well. It handles the load better and safer in my opinion and I no longer need a weight distribution hitch. I still use a sway control bar though. With the camper attached I barely have a negative rake of about a .5". To level the truck off and add some extra stability I fill my Firestone air bags with about 40lbs of air. I did not measure the difference in lift height, but I'm guessing it is about as advertised at 2.5". It still fits in my garage! I try and post some recent pictures.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts