Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks good!

I need a little extra support (form my 2015 SR5 sequoia) in the back when I tow my camper. I have aftermarket airbags (the ones that go inside the coils) and a Andersen weight distributing hitch but still get a little sag. If I did the 1.75 inch in the rear, do you think I still need the diff drop? I’m not really looking for much lift.

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Looks good!

I need a little extra support (form my 2015 SR5 sequoia) in the back when I tow my camper. I have aftermarket airbags (the ones that go inside the coils) and a Andersen weight distributing hitch but still get a little sag. If I did the 1.75 inch in the rear, do you think I still need the diff drop? I’m not really looking for much lift.

thanks
Hey. Not sure if you will need the diff drop for 1.75". I would call the guys down at exit off-road for the answer. How do you like the Anderson hitch? I have one as well, but don't use it now. I liked the sway control of that hitch, works really well. I would like to use just that part all time, but I don't like how far out the ball sits from the rear of the receiver. There is a second hole in the receiver to get it closer to the truck, but the spare tire won't allow me to that. I may see if I can get that receiver cut down. My other problem was keeping the chains tight. I installed according to the directions, but after I would go some miles I would stop and check that brackets on the camper tongue had been pulled forward causing slack. Great hitch. really don't need to chain part, IF the ball handles all the sway control.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey @Hike. Thanks for the compliments. Your reason for ordering the 2.5 was mine as well. It has been a few months now since the install. We have some miles on it both unloaded and loaded pulling our 28'(total length) camper. Pulling the camper was the main reason for the suspension upgrade and not just a level kit or just shocks. The ride quality is excellent. It rides smooth unloaded. The springs did take away all body roll, and brake nose dive. It is my wife's daily driver(she is 5'3", that is reason for leaving the running boards) and she has not mentioned anything bad about ride quality over stock. The Dobinson suspension greatly improved towing capabilities as well. It handles the load better and safer in my opinion and I no longer need a weight distribution hitch. I still use a sway control bar though. With the camper attached I barely have a negative rake of about a .5". To level the truck off and add some extra stability I fill my Firestone air bags with about 40lbs of air. I did not measure the difference in lift height, but I'm guessing it is about as advertised at 2.5". It still fits in my garage! I try and post some recent pictures.
Great Info!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey @Hike. Thanks for the compliments. Your reason for ordering the 2.5 was mine as well. It has been a few months now since the install. We have some miles on it both unloaded and loaded pulling our 28'(total length) camper. Pulling the camper was the main reason for the suspension upgrade and not just a level kit or just shocks. The ride quality is excellent. It rides smooth unloaded. The springs did take away all body roll, and brake nose dive. It is my wife's daily driver(she is 5'3", that is reason for leaving the running boards) and she has not mentioned anything bad about ride quality over stock. The Dobinson suspension greatly improved towing capabilities as well. It handles the load better and safer in my opinion and I no longer need a weight distribution hitch. I still use a sway control bar though. With the camper attached I barely have a negative rake of about a .5". To level the truck off and add some extra stability I fill my Firestone air bags with about 40lbs of air. I did not measure the difference in lift height, but I'm guessing it is about as advertised at 2.5". It still fits in my garage! I try and post some recent pictures.
did you end up running 5100s or no?

I installed Dobinsons 2.5” springs on 5100s front and back. I got the set up from 1stgen. I haven’t had any issues, curious if you or others have.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
did you end up running 5100s or no?

I installed Dobinsons 2.5” springs on 5100s front and back. I got the set up from 1stgen. I haven’t had any issues, curious if you or others have.
No I did not run the 5100s. I went with the Dobinson Twin Tube front and rear. I have not had any problems with them loaded or unloaded. The ride is great. If I upgrade/replace the twin tubes, I will probably go with the new Dobinson IMS that they just released for the sequoia. Our sequoia is primarily family hauler, tow vehicle for camper, occasional dirt/fire roads. Nothing hard core-yet.

·
Registered
14’ Sequoia Limited
259 Posts
This is a great thread!
I ordered the 1.75" Dobinsons kit......it should be here in a couple of weeks.
After reading this, I will probably get the Firestone or Airlift airbags for the rear, seems like a nice, cheap upgrade to prevent rear end sag. I think an on-board air compressor would be nice but they cost more than the bags! How is filling your bags from the schrader valve for you???

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This is a great thread!
I ordered the 1.75" Dobinsons kit......it should be here in a couple of weeks.
After reading this, I will probably get the Firestone or Airlift airbags for the rear, seems like a nice, cheap upgrade to prevent rear end sag. I think an on-board air compressor would be nice but they cost more than the bags! How is filling your bags from the schrader valve for you???
The scharder valve works well. The Firestone air bag kit comes with 2 valves for each individual bag. I just bought a union tee off amazon so I would have 1 valve that fills them equally and at once.

I also have toyed around with an onboard compressor but have not made up my mind yet. For now I purchased a Hyper Tough compressor from Wal mart for like $57 dollars. It is small enough to fit in the storage compartment in my camper. I use it to air up bags and tires on travel days before I disconnect power from camper. If I need to air up on the road I can plug it up to the 115 outlet in the 2nd row of the sequoia. So far it works ok. See how long it last. LOL.

What are you pulling with your Sequoia? I ran a trip or 2 with no air in the bags with my camper just to see how the 2.5 Springs handled alone and if the bags would make a difference. First off the Dobinson springs work great just on their own! Only ended up with a slight negative rake with just springs alone. With the air bags it is perfect. Leveled out and added stability. I only need to run them at 40psi. I run my BFG KO2 e rated at 42psi, and we have a very comfortable ride going down the road.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts