Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I use the fob/dash buttons to open the rear door/hatch of my 2010 Sequoia, the door doesn't open all the way to the top. In other words, the rear door opens up fine, but falls short by a couple of inches from opening all the way. - I need give the door a gentle push upwards to avoid hitting my head on the door (when I give the extra push, the door remains lifted all the way as I would expect).

I replaced the tailgate power rod (with this) and the two tailgate struts (with these) which didn't solve my problem.

At this point, I don't know if the door not opening all the way is normal or if I need to replace the motor that does the work of lifting the door, or maybe the power rod/struts I replaced are causing my symptoms.

Can you share your solution to solving the problem where the rear hatch doesn't open all the way up?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Is your back window down when this happens or does it happen in every situation?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your back window down when this happens or does it happen in every situation?
It happens in every situation and seems to be worse when I'm parked on a hill (i.e. the rear door never opens all the way without my manual help and needs even more of my help when parked on a slant/hill).

·
Registered
14’ Sequoia Limited
259 Posts
Your struts, especially if new, should lift it up all the way up.
I guess the motor could be holding it back if it's not functioning right.
What about the actual hinges for the rear hatch..........are they rusty or not operating smoothly?
Maybe try cleaning them with PB Blaster and then lubing them with WD40/Silicon spray?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts