Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '04 Sequoia and considering installing in-channel window vents without the leg near the side mirror.
I've seen postings from those who have installed them on 4runners, tacomas and tundras. They have mentioned problems with sealling in the channel with the gasket, the visors have scratched the edge of the window, and some have wind noise. Some have also mentioned making modifications to the edge for installation.
I would like to know Sequoia owners experiences, the good and bad on the different manufacturer and their product.
:ts:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
I have a '04 Sequoia and considering installing in-channel window vents without the leg near the side mirror.
I've seen postings from those who have installed them on 4runners, tacomas and tundras. They have mentioned problems with sealling in the channel with the gasket, the visors have scratched the edge of the window, and some have wind noise. Some have also mentioned making modifications to the edge for installation.
I would like to know Sequoia owners experiences, the good and bad on the different manufacturer and their product.
:ts:
We are talking about rain guards rite? I guess they have a few other names but anyway my "2005" Sequoia came with them on already. I am not sure if they put them on at the dealer or at the factory either way they are not the kind that go up inside where the window goes. They have a piece of that 3M tape and it's stuck on just above where the window goes up inside. I am not 100% sure but I think the rain guard it self says Toyota rite on each one including the one that's on my sunroof. I have not had ANY problems at all and I have had no wind noise at all because if I did they would be gone. If you want I can take some close up pictures and post them. Below are some pictures I took but I was not trying to take pictures of the rain guards so you can just see them in the back ground. I will take close ups if you want. Johnnny :D
http://68.192.5.60:333/programs/My Sequoia Pictures/DCP_1626.JPG
http://68.192.5.60:333/programs/My Sequoia Pictures/DCP_1630.JPG

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up buying "In-Channel Slimline WindowVisors" by Performance Products, set of 4, and turn out to be manufactured by EGR.
Took only a few minutes to install.
The rear door pieces are not marked as to which is for the driver's or passenger's side and the end shapes are very simular (need to look closely and align with the window shape).
The rear door pieces also have 3M tape for in the channel, but it doesn't align with any surface of the rubber channel, therfore doesn't stick to anything.
The front door units have the leg that goes down along the mirrors. The leg doesn't block looking at the mirror or effect the folding of the mirror against the door. The front window fits tight with the visor in place and needed some assistance to close. Even after staying closed for 24 hrs+ they moved slow against the channel/visor. I cleaned the entire rubber edge along the inside and sprayed it with silicone (the silicone paste type lube didn't free up the movement and attracted dirt, and made a scratching sound when closing and left a film alonng the edge of the window).

No wind noise when at highway speeds with the windows closed, some wind noise with them cracked open but it's about the same if not less then with no windowvents in place.

Like the way they look and how they're work

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have removed the rear windowvisors (the tape didn't stick to anything as I thought) and grinded off about 1/8" from across the top of the inserting edge.
This allowed the visor to move higher in the channel so that the rubber outer edging at the top of the window opening now make contact with the top curving part of the visor (matching the way the front ones fit).

The silicone spray on the inner rubber edge (opposite the visor edge) is providing enough "dry" lubrication when the window closes completely.

:tu:

·
Registered
27 Posts
My first set were in-channel vent/shades from performance products, lasted about 3 months very thin and I had the same problems with closing the window and the grinding sound of dust/dirt and the glass:td:. I then installed the one that go on the outside of the channel it does't looks as clean as the in-channel model, but no problems at all (they've been on for 2.5 years). They do cause a little wind noise at high speed, i just turn up the radio and the problem is solved:D.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
I've had the product from Weather Tech on my SEQ since 9/02 and have had no problems at all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the stick on ones after having the "in channel" ones. Go with the stick on. the window doesn't hang up and not clos all the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts