Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
I prefer my side shot but I could be a lil bias hehe
I love your Sequoia. I plan to get bushwackers too. Was it hard to modify the rear bushwackers to fit the sequoia? I know you gotta cut it in two and redo the gas door area. Also, with those rear bushwacker fenders that you have, it could match the front Tundra wheel well shape so that it doesn't look weird with two different shaped wheel wells.

Man, now I don't know what to do now that I've seen your awesome rig. Continue my plans of the 2014-2016 Tundra conversion in a few years, or copy you and do the 2007-2013 Tundra front end with bushwacker fenders? You should post more photos. I'm in love

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
At least you guys like it. I guess fellow member JMSinMD likes the stale look of the 2008-2016 Sequoia front end. I'm not holding out for Toyota to update the Sequoia so that's why I really like this conversion. However, even if Toyota updates the look for 2017, I just bought this Sequoia recently so I'm stuck with it for a while and a conversion is the more logical step for me if I want it to look "refreshed".
I don't think the look is that much different except making it look more Americanized with the excessively large chrome grill. I also think the headlights look too small on such a large vehicle.

To do the conversion you're going to be looking at a lot of coin, most likely along with the hood, grill, lights, bumper you're also going to have to replace the fenders as well.

Reactions: Ali_q8t

·
Registered
32 Posts
I prefer my side shot but I could be a lil bias hehe

@S2klbc, I like this look! Many questions:
Do you have any detail shots how how they cut/modded the tundra flares? I was planning to use the OEM flares but those look much cooler.
How much lift are you running?
Are those Line 8 MK6 (18x9 +12 offset)?
Do the tires extend out past the flares?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love your Sequoia. I plan to get bushwackers too. Was it hard to modify the rear bushwackers to fit the sequoia? I know you gotta cut it in two and redo the gas door area. Also, with those rear bushwacker fenders that you have, it could match the front Tundra wheel well shape so that it doesn't look weird with two different shaped wheel wells.

Man, now I don't know what to do now that I've seen your awesome rig. Continue my plans of the 2014-2016 Tundra conversion in a few years, or copy you and do the 2007-2013 Tundra front efnd with bushwacker fenders? You should post more photos. I'm in love
I'll post more Pictures when I'm done with her. Still got a few more mods to do n I'm working on a higher lift, I got some kings on the way.
As for the fender flares I got turned down by two shops and when I did find a shop that was willing to do it the employee wasn't very happy and it took him a long time to get it done.

·
Registered
30 Posts
@S2klbc, I like this look! Many questions:
Do you have any detail shots how how they cut/modded the tundra flares? I was planning to use the OEM flares but those look much cooler.
How much lift are you running?
Are those Line 8 MK6 (18x9 +12 offset)?
Do the tires extend out past the flares?
I don't have detailed shots of the fender flares I can get some later.
I'm only on a 2.25" lift but I'm going higher soon with some kings.
The wheels are BFDs 18x9 +12 and they're almost flushed with the flares i actually have some spidertrax spacers I'm gonna put on to push them out a bit more.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
To do the conversion you're going to be looking at a lot of coin, most likely along with the hood, grill, lights, bumper you're also going to have to replace the fenders as well.
So far I've counted 10 major parts that needs to be replaced and did a lot of searching to find reasonable prices for these parts. As it stands right now, it will cost around $1,512. These are the major parts: hood, 2x fenders, middle bumper, 2x bumper ends, main grill, hood bulge, headlights (bought as set), pieces that go under headlights (bought as set). Then there's the little things underneath such as inner wheel wells, clips, brackets, etc but those don't cost much.

The new tundra headlights are bigger (fatter?) and the old tundra headlights are slimmer but look a tad bit longer.

As for the fender flares I got turned down by two shops and when I did find a shop that was willing to do it the employee wasn't very happy and it took him a long time to get it done.
Luckily, I'm a very good DIY type guy and good at modifications so I think I can modify the fender flares myself. I made a wide body kit when I was into import cars back in the day. I'll just have to get it painted professionally though. but yea...dont forget to post lots of pictures of your sequoia when you're done so we can all enjoy :grin2:

·
Registered
200 Posts
Im with JMsinMD on this, while the mod is cool in that the front end was completely redesigned, not the way I personally would go with my Rig. Im generally not a fan of making an early model look like something it isn't. Especially since that game never ends, every year there will be something new to add, be it a light a grill or a whatever.

While the design maybe stale, it was stale when I chose to buy it, so doesn't make a lot of sense to knock it when it was good enough to drop the coin on. I love the idea of personalizing a rig to ones taste, a lift, rims, debadging whatever it maybe to make it unique to you. but a complete overhaul not my style, again its a personal thing.

For me I prefer S2klbc style mod to the new tundra front overhaul any day. Not that anyone knows but you can see toyota eventually making a Sequoia with the new tundra looks should they choose to keep the model going.

I also get the excitement of getting a new rig and wanting to upgrade everything. Spending hours online looking at bumpers to racks to lifts, to lights and any other conversion or upgrade under the sun. Alot of times though practicality and cost go out the window during that phase.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
haha you're right. I need to slow my horses and put more thought into what mods I really want. I'll let the excitement die down and then i'll have a better idea for what I truly want. Personally for me I like the rugged look. I'm not too fond of the bling/"luxury" look of the stock Platinum. If I wanted that then I would have bought a luxury brand. Anyway, I'm planning on buying two more cars within the next year or so, therefore I'm not going to do any major mods on the Sequoia for now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't have detailed shots of the fender flares I can get some later.
I'm only on a 2.25" lift but I'm going higher soon with some kings.
The wheels are BFDs 18x9 +12 and they're almost flushed with the flares i actually have some spidertrax spacers I'm gonna put on to push them out a bit more.

@S2klbc thanks for the info. I've read somewhere that tundra grill have two generations based on the mounts, 07-09 and 10-12. I've been wanting to put the Rock Warrior grill like yours on mine 08 Sequoia for a while. Do you know if I should be looking only for 09 grills or does it matter? I believe the RW was first available in 09. I will have to trim the bottom of the grill correct?

·
Registered
30 Posts
@S2klbc thanks for the info. I've read somewhere that tundra grill have two generations based on the mounts, 07-09 and 10-12. I've been wanting to put the Rock Warrior grill like yours on mine 08 Sequoia for a while. Do you know if I should be looking only for 09 grills or does it matter? I believe the RW was first available in 09. I will have to trim the bottom of the grill correct?
I believe I got this exact one from the same seller and yes you have to trim the bottom. If your car is white pm me I don't mind trading grills.
Toyota Tundra Rock Warrior Painted Grille New OE | eBay

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I thought about putting a 07-13 tundra grill on mine, but i dont have the proper tools or patience to trim it down cleanly. I could have also just went ahead and get a Tundra bumper so I wouldnt have to trim the Tundra grill, but cant decide which bumper to get. Anyway, I ordered a pair of 2014-2016 Tundra fenders to get my conversion started someday.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Happened to run across this:

Convert your 2nd gen. Toyota Tundra

I don't know if these are commercially available yet but 2 yrs ago these guys said they were developing fiberglass parts for a 2007-2013 Tundra that would convert it to the 2014 Tundra.

Quote (emphasis added):

"We are also designing fenders and a fiberglass hood that will bolt directly on to your 2007-2012 Tundra and give it that brand new look!
Fenders $350.00 (pair)
Bumper Caps $50.00 (pair)"

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Only problem with this on a Sequoia is that the front will be wide but the back fenders will be normal and not as wide....even with bushwackers added. Anyway, I've already ordered and received the normal 2014-2015 fenders.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I thought about putting a 07-13 tundra grill on mine, but i dont have the proper tools or patience to trim it down cleanly. I could have also just went ahead and get a Tundra bumper so I wouldnt have to trim the Tundra grill, but cant decide which bumper to get. Anyway, I ordered a pair of 2014-2016 Tundra fenders to get my conversion started someday.
I'm going put a 10-13 tundra sport grill on. Gonna go ahead an trim it down to fit the stock Sequoia bumper. I would like to build a custom tube bumper but I will not have time for that till next winter probably. That huge chunk of plastic crap has to go.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don't mind cutting headlight washer holes or a cruise control hole if it means I can get the new Tundra front end. I showed my wife this mod and she's on board with the idea. Since I just bought my sequoia last week and it was bought mainly for her to drive, I can't do the mod just yet. Hopefully in a year or so. In the meantime, I'm going to slowly gather all the front end pieces for my eventual project.

I've been comparing the fender lines of the old Tundra and new one and they seem identical. However, I'm pretty sure the mounting and braces underneath could be different.
I wonder how it would look with just the grill and fender update but keeping the sequoia bumper

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm going put a 10-13 tundra sport grill on. Gonna go ahead an trim it down to fit the stock Sequoia bumper. I would like to build a custom tube bumper but I will not have time for that till next winter probably. That huge chunk of plastic crap has to go.
The 10-13 Tundra grill will fit the Sequoia brackets, or at least it does on my 2014 Sequoia. The Tundra grill works on my Sequoia without cutting it because I have a bumper built for the Tundra.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts