Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened earlier tonight. I was driving in town coming up to a red light riding the brakes when the light turned green and as I pressed on the gas pedal there was this LOUD bang (and I mean EXTREMELY loud) that came from underneath the car! It felt as if I was rear ended, the noise however coming from under the rear passengers seats. There felt like there was a delay in acceleration after which the car moved forward. My immediate reaction was "hmm that's very odd..." but I continued driving. Few minutes later I got on the highway and as I was beginning to accelerate at around 45 mph the same reaction happened again, another loud bang and a delay in acceleration, at which I promptly pulled over and had the car towed home at risk of any further damage. I'm perplexed I can't figure out what it is and since it's night I haven't had a chance to take a look underneath. And Google suggestions ranges from catalytic converter to real axel. I'll probably end up taking it to my mechanic but I would like to pinpoint the problem my self. Has anyone else experienced this or know what the problem is?

Edited to add: its not a clunk, I've experienced that before and this was much louder and fiercer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This happened earlier tonight. I was driving in town coming up to a red light riding the brakes when the light turned green and as I pressed on the gas pedal there was this LOUD bang (and I mean EXTREMELY loud) that came from underneath the car! It felt as if I was rear ended, the noise however coming from under the rear passengers seats. There felt like there was a delay in acceleration after which the car moved forward. My immediate reaction was "hmm that's very odd..." but I continued driving. Few minutes later I got on the highway and as I was beginning to accelerate at around 45 mph the same reaction happened again, another loud bang and a delay in acceleration, at which I promptly pulled over and had the car towed home at risk of any further damage. I'm perplexed I can't figure out what it is and since it's night I haven't had a chance to take a look underneath. And Google suggestions ranges from catalytic converter to real axel. I'll probably end up taking it to my mechanic but I would like to pinpoint the problem my self. Has anyone else experienced this or know what the problem is?

Edited to add: its not a clunk, I've experienced that before and this was much louder and fiercer.
wow, curious what they could be. Have you looked at your u-joints? Does the truck still drive? I would crawl underneath and check everything out. Kinda sought it is your catalytic converters... never heard any reports of them making banging noises like that. Maybe check front suspension and your end links?

good luck, and let us know what you find!

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, curious what they could be. Have you looked at your u-joints? Does the truck still drive? I would crawl underneath and check everything out. Kinda sought it is your catalytic converters... never heard any reports of them making banging noises like that. Maybe check front suspension and your end links?

I haven't had the chance to look at it yet but I'm hoping it's one of those causing it. With the snow and cold weather I'll have to figure out something before I give in and take it to the shop. Anyone else able to come up with any other theories?

·
Registered
7 Posts

I had a serious LOUD bang coming from the front end of my 02 Tundra; one of the sway bar links snapped in half (and the other was nearly rusted through). About $12 at RockAuto.

Whatever yours turns out to be I wish you luck, and drive carefully!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had a serious LOUD bang coming from the front end of my 02 Tundra; one of the sway bar links snapped in half (and the other was nearly rusted through). About $12 at RockAuto.

Whatever yours turns out to be I wish you luck, and drive carefully!

·
Registered
3 Posts

I have the same noise on an 02. I’ve replaced all joints, checked trans. I’ve been told the calipers are sticking and releasing? Let us know what you find. I have just been living with it.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
My loud bang turned out to be the tranny trying to give up the ghost. 2000 LTD with 128Kmiles :-( $5500 later everything is smooth.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My loud bang turned out to be the tranny trying to give up the ghost. 2000 LTD with 128Kmiles :-( $5500 later everything is smooth.
Sadly guys and gals, this might be it. Drove the truck yesterday with a friend and it seemed like the tranny was slipping sporadically. Also noticed the tranny temp reading on the torque app was significantly higher than normal when the slipping occurred. Taking it into the shop tomorrow for a diagnosis, we'll see what they say. My poor baby.. 😔😢😭

1 - 9 of 9 Posts