Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ask a serious question as this forum I believe might be the good proving ground for some valid opinion and insight. I have a Crewmax TRD coming in a couple of weeks. I currently drive an '04 Sequoia and have been extremely happy with it. I also drive a '95 ES 300 and have owned several Lexus cars and to be honest will always have a Lexus in my driveway. I am loyal to Toyota and will not drive anything else. What's everyone's take on this completely new and revamped Tundra and whether there should be concern for "bugs", and technical mechanical issues which could surface? I am well aware of Toyota's track record on past introduction of new models which is the reason I am not in complete fear of buying the '07 Tundra, but do have it in the back of my mind deciding to wait on an '08 might not be a bad idea as I am confident I can get out the deal without a problem. Internet forums IMO can be as damaging as helpful at times, and you have to learn to interpet the information as it is posted. The bottom line-who in here is reading this forum with the intent to see what's is going on with the '07 and will be holding out for the '08? and for the guys who have went ahead and purchased the '07 Tundra it would be good to post up the reason(s) of why you made the decision and if any of you regret getting the '07 and wish you had held off and get the '08 knowing a full year (if you can call it that as the introduction has been late) is under Toyota's belt and the "08 just might be a better truck?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I want to ask a serious question ...
You own Toyota so you outta know that you have nothing to worry about.

I've had both a the 1st gen Tundra, a new FJ, this 2nd gen 1st year Tundra and an '04 4Runner and an '02 Sequoia and never had any problems. I like being the first to have the new design and typically it's paid off from a resale standpoint. If you were talking about a Dodge I'd have a different opinion. Fear not and get in, you won't regret it...

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have said many times that if Lexus made a truck, I would buy it. I love my Lexus, especially the reliability,but it only tows 3k# which doesn't get you very far. What did Edmunds call the new Tundra? Something like the "most significant new vehicle of the year." I doubt that this Tundra will be a lemon. I see no reason to wait for the 08 unless you want a CM with a longer bed.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree. I think Toyota does its homework and if you are going to have a problem, it will happen regardless if it is a first year model run. Toyota has always stood by their products. This is my fifth Toyota and I have never had any major problems with any of them. I say...if you like the truck and want one now, then buy it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
You can end up chasing your own tail on that sort of thing. I waited quite a while in my purchase decision for the new Tundra to come out... Now I'm supposed to wait until 2008 until "the bugs" are out... But wait, a diesel is supposed to be coming out in 2009... and so forth.

As far as teething problems, I think that there will be a low amount, and they will be magnified in this board. If any of the thousands of 2007 Tundra owners had a problem, where would they go first to ask a question about it? Probably here, even before talking to their dealer.

I don't deny that folks are having problems, and that isn't a good thing. But I still think I made an informed decision. I needed a truck, and I had already waited as long as I could for the 2007's to come out.

I could be wringing my hands, regretting not buying that new Sierra, due to this problem or that with somebody's Tundra, but I'm sure there some folks that have had motors replaced in Sierra's too... Or anything else produced in those numbers.

If my Tundra has a problem, I'll consider myself unlucky, not that I failed by not waiting for a "perfect" truck or going to another brand for a "perfect" truck. That's just not the case.

·
Registered
161 Posts
hello, anything but a toyota and i would have waited. i had a t100 and it was good ,then i got 2002 tundra dc and it was great and now my 2007 is perfect. i could have been waiting all this time and the trucks would just keep on getting better.i could do it ,not planning on a second lap on this planet, so i went for it .

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was up washing the Tundra last night until almost 11PM. I didn't start until 10PM. It doesn't get dark here til almost midnight. What I am saying is the only thing I can find wrong with ours is the fact I like keeping it clean looking. Great trucks.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The only problem with waiting for an '08 would be that the '07s came so late in the model year that the information you seek probably will not be available for any changes in the '08 model year other than to adjust the configurations that are offered. What I mean is that there will probably be more CrewMaxes and more 5.7's built for '08.

I mean, any major changes like a new suspension component, drivetrain change, safety modification for the '08 model year pretty much need to be established now, right?

·
Registered
595 Posts
DMS

ANY new vehicle, Toyota or not can have a few problems. FWIW I bought an extended warranty because this is a first year production. I would suggest you do the same. It may end up a waste of money but it may pay for itself.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All great points, and what I mostly what I have thought. I just thought I would be interested in some viewpoints. Thanks for posting up.

·
Premium Member
498 Posts
DMS888, the previous posters hit the nail on the head. I too bought an 05 Avalon and an 07 Tundra. The Avalon is Lexus like without the price tag. 23,000 miles and not a minutes trouble. My Tundra is great. 2200 miles and not a hint of anything wrong. Buying a vehicle = informed decision. You are doing your homework and that's good. Test drive all the competition. Rent one for a weekend to enjoy an extended test drive. Then decide how much you are willing to pay if you think you want that particular vehicle. Good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Its BIG, Its bad, and its beautiful and you know you want it RIGHT NOW!! step on in...the waters warm!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have to agree with Redhawk 1---- I like your style..

besides...with the "wow" factor of this truck right now makes it even sweeter when the "dumestic" guys are drooling...

·
Registered
74 Posts
My last toyota was an 04 4runner and at 68,000 miles it ran just as good as the day i picked it up. It had no problems at all. My 07 tundra now has 5000 miles and it's sweet as can be,17.5 mpg,an engine that purrs like a kitten but can turn into a tiger with just a tad of throttle,I love this truck like none before. Go buy it now if you find one with the options you want.Life is way to short to sit on the fence wondering when is the right time.If you can afford it the time is NOW.Toyota's have earned my respect over the years and they build and engineer the best cars and trucks on the road today. :D

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys you have all made some great points and I appreciate you posting them up. I am on the same page. I am and will continue to be loyal to Toyota and Lexus. My truck will be here in a couple of weeks and I am doing the deal. I will post up after I take delivery of it including pictures. Now who wants to buy my '04 Sequoia 4WD before I trade it in? It's mint and has 51k miles on it:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts