Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the serpentine belt replaced on my 2008 Tundra due to cracks. Now squeals for 20 -30 secs on cold start up. Driving me nuts and service dept are unsure what is problem. I seen a lot of 1st generation owners got goodyear gatorback belts to solve this but Ican't find for 2008 model. Help please

·
Registered
379 Posts
There is a TSB for the idler pulley... that's probably why the belt failed and why it squeals now... they screwed you and played dumb

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
A new belt will sometimes slip for a while until the glaze gets worn off the back. It may get better.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
it needs a new belt tensioner if its a 5.7,, the tensioners break when the belt is changed,, the belt will shred up if you keep driving it.... there is a tsb for the tensioner for a bearing type noise

·
Registered
363 Posts
Had the same thing happen with mine, except they replaced the idler puller as well. Then it started squeeling. Took it back and they replaced the belt again stating that the previous belt was stretched. Haven't had trouble since.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
Did the dealer change the belt or a shop? On my truck, the Gates replacement belt would squeal, but the Gatorback was silent. I found that the Gates belts do that on some vehicles....

Just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Dealer did it, i never go to shops

1 - 9 of 9 Posts