Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I had the squeal from the tensioner pulley and I did not feel like playing games with the dealer- I am at 57K miles.
So- ordered the part online - $75 delivered ( part # 16620-0s010) :

then ordered the belt from Amazon - Goodyear Gatorback belt # 4080948

then did the usual steps- remove the skidpalte then used a pin to hold the tensioner in place after taking the tension off the belt- use a long breaker bar with a 14mm socket on the tensioner ( not shown here)

see the pin in the pic above^^
Also - when you get the belt out of the way, use a 12mm on the bolt you can see ( actually you can see the hole at the bottom on the photo above) and then use a 6mm hex bit to remove the bolt from the center of the tensioner ^^^^
Leave the pin in the old one and take it out-
old on left and new on right:

Then I put the old one on the bench vise and used that to steady the assembly- remove the pin and then install the pin into the new assembly:

then install the new one - pin in place to hold it to allow the new belt to be put on:

new belt on and ready:

old belt- frayed and worn from pulley ( I guess) :

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Great write up, I'm coming up soon on an oil change. I'll let you do a DIY on it ;)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good Job! thanks for the clear pics, don't know if there's a sticky, but this should be a STICKY or added to an existing STICKY.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
Great writeup!!:first:
I would send you points but I'm in points lock again. Hopefully someone else will!
I made a PDF file out of it so that it can be printed out. Hope you don't mind!

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
I know this thread is nine months old, but I am so glad I found it! I am about to change this myself and this thread will certainly help! Thanks firemanmike!

Can a moderator please put this thread in the DIY section....

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
FWIW, these only seem to last about 25K. I'm going on my second one here in about 48K. Last one was replced under warranty at 28K.

Points sent!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Firemanmike, I might have missed it but did the removed belt tensioner show signs of wear like worn bearing or slack in the spring? I am just wondering if there is a way to improve the pulley like putting a better quality bearing in or something. I just put the slightly shorter gator back on that fixed my problem but not sure how long that will last.
Thanks, Craig

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Tried to give you points for the PDF file mendosy but, alas, I need to spread the wealth. Thanks Mike for the good job on the DIY. I had mine just replaced under warranty ( at 39825 miles ). The service manager at Universal Toyota is a GREAT guy for taking care of me.

·
Just a Herbicidal maniac.
2,172 Posts
I'm at 78,000+ miles on my '07 CM. I'm the second owner of the truck as of July this year. I noticed the other day that the serpentine belt was cracking on the inside. Fortunately, I have a good friend who is a Toyota Master Diagnostics Tech and I took my truck to him for a look. He said that it appears to be the original belt. I have an appt. with him next Monday to replace the belt and check the tensioner pulley. Apparently they have a test they can perform to check if the tensioner pulley is still keeping enough tension on the belt. I'm going into this figuring I'll need a new pulley too. He'll run my VIN and see if tensioner pulley has been replaced with the "new version". Everything is still nice and quiet under the hood. We shall see!

·
Registered
987 Posts
I just ordered the pulley and new belt from Sparks. Delivered across country, total price was $175. Not bad I thought. With this, the install should be a breeze!

·
Premium Member
1,716 Posts
I really need to replace my Serp belt, it's looked cracked for about 6 or 7 thousand miles now. Just ordered a Dayco belt and tensioner from RockAuto. Cost me under $75 for both shipped. We'll see how they hold up.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have 107K on the factory belt/tensioner, dealer has been telling me the belt has cracks for the last 15-20K. I wonder if I should go ahead and replace the tensioner when I do the belt, Fireman Mike, the Gatorback part number in an earlier post, is that the right number? Any problems with the length, that seemed to be an issue before.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So my belt looks good but its squealing so I assume i'll need the tensioner replaced. I'm looking at the rock auto catalog. Do I need "Belt Tensioner", the "idler pulley", or the "tensioner pulley"? Doesn't seem clear to me, what the difference is between those 3 options or what exactly they include. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Mine started making noise the other day, I called the dealer at 9am this morning and left a message with the service department. They called back at 1pm asked me a quick question and then again at 5pm to tell me they don't have any in stock and it will take several days to get one. The great news was that they're estimate is $275 dollars. I also told them this morning that I really need to get it done since I'm driving from Fairbanks-Anchorage (6+ hours) on Wed night/Thur morning; in the middle of December and phone service is sketchy.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
is this the squealing you guys are talking about?

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 - YouTube

I'm trying to figure out this will covered at 48k miles under the powertrain warranty???

1 - 20 of 48 Posts