Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
is this the squealing you guys are talking about?

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7 - YouTube

I'm trying to figure out this will covered at 48k miles under the powertrain warranty???
No, according to the TSB, it's only 3 years 36k miles. I changed mine out this weekend. Not a big deal at all with the instructions here. Took me a little over an hour. I took the radiator fan and fan guard out as well. It made it much easier to access the pully and put on the belt.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Changing out the belt & tensioner should be simple. Anyone can do it. Takes about 30 mins to swap out the belt (15 if you have done it already). There is a DIY to swap out the belt somewhere.

part # for the Gatorback is 4080945

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Swapped out just the belt and everything is back to normal. I used a Gates belt, I've noticed Gatorback belts are no longer made in the good o' USA, so I went with the American made Gates belt. The garbage OEM belt was a Dayco, note to self, never use Dayco belts...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm greatful to find this info here. I've got an '08 Sequoia, had it in for inspection and was told my belt needs to be replaced. Cost = $225 or so for the repair shop to do it, said it would take about 1.5 hours. The main issue I have, since I don't have a garage or driveway, is the weather and working in the street. I may have to suck it up and pay someone else to do it....

·
Registered
987 Posts
Firemanmike...just curious, where did you get the unique bent pin & what size do I need?
I just used a small punch. A nail set would also work. The bent one is nice but not necessary.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Changing out the belt & tensioner should be simple. Anyone can do it. Takes about 30 mins to swap out the belt (15 if you have done it already). There is a DIY to swap out the belt somewhere.

part # for the Gatorback is 4080945
100% correct. I replaced mine on my 07 about 5 months ago. With the tips I got from this forum, my son and I replaced it in about 15 minutes, not including the time it takes to take the skid plate off and put it back on, which takes almost as long as replacing the tensioner and belt. You get to the tensioner bolts underneath the truck, and they're right there, no problems. It's VERY helpful to have a second set of hands to help put the belt back on. The second set of hands is the secret, but of course you could do it by yourself. Very easy job once you've done it once.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
way to go on the gator back belt! i ran one of those for over 85,000 with out any problems on my lexus. the only reason i changed it was cause it did a full timing belt kit, needless to say less than 10,000 miles after i wish i had the old belt back. btw your old belt looks like, one side of the belt has seen oil. tan color looks normal, i would just keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Big thx to firemanmike for the DIY! I am by no means a mechanic, the most I usually do is change the oil, but this write up was great in showing me exactly what I needed to do the job for only $40 from rockauto. Took me about an hour by myself, working very slowly and carefully. I used a 5mm allen wrench to lock the tensioner in place.

The only thing I didn't do was lock the new tensioner before installation b/c I don't have a bench vise. I came REAL close to running into trouble b/c I ran out of travel room with my breaker bar turning the new tensioner far enough into locking position. If it had needed another 1/2" of turning I would have been up the creek.

BTW mine is an '07 w/ 86k. Felt bad for my neighbors b/c she would wail like the banshee every morning when I would leave for work.

Thx again!

·
Registered
93 Posts
There are marks on the tensioner body - 3 in close succession, the then one further to the right. An arrow is on the spring-loaded portion of the tensioner - it is a belt wear (stretch) indicator. Does anyone know exactly what the parameters are as indicated by these marks?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just replaced my belt and pulley last night on my 2002 Tundra. The bearings in the pulley died...a horrible and noisy death...and when it locked up, it shredded the belt. I originally bought a new tensioner and pulley. When I read about all the crap you have to go through to take it off, I went back and got just the pulley. I removed NOTHING (except what was left of the old belt), used a 15mm socket and a cheater bar and got the pulley off in about 4 minutes. New one went on in about 5 minutes (the second time. See note below). Putting on the belt (in the dark) took about 15 minutes. It probably would have been easier had I removed the fan shroud or the top hose, but it can be done without removing anything but the pulley itself. If I had to do it again today, in the daylight, I think I could do the entire job in about 15 minutes.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The replacement pulley from Autozone is NOT an exact replacement. It is not beveled like the original so you can't use the little safety washer that is on the original. Use only the bolt to attach the pulley. That washer is in place only to keep the original pulley from separating from the engine should the bearings completely fail and detach from the pulley itself. Per a Toyota mechanic, it is believed that this washer causes the bearings to fail because it traps heat.....

Today my truck is SO much quieter!

TRIVIA: In my unscientific study, a 2002 Tundra with a 4.7L can travel 22 miles on a fully charged Optima battery at night with headlights on, dash lights off, accessories unplugged and NO serpentine belt!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just did mine 2007 Tundra 5.7L 128,000 miles, just had enough of the squealing on cold mornings and throughout the cold days. I was surprised that the Dayco 89378 Belt Tensioner Assembly is an OEM replacement. I guess Toyota had Dayco come up with the replacement part for the original bad tensioners. It was kind of funny to see the part numbers ground off on the replacement Dayco 89378 Belt Tensioner Assembly in comparison to the original one I pulled off the truck. But confirmed. Buy a Dayco 89378 Belt Tensioner Assembly. I paid $42.32 on ebay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
60k on an 08 Tundra 5.7. Thanks for this long ago write up. This gave me the confidence to attempt this on my own. I was getting the cricket chirp at start up and would spray a lubricant on all the pulleys. Then I googled and found all the information on changing the tensioner and belt. I went with all OEM. My part numbers were belt 90916-A2023 and Tensioner 16620-0S011 (this number was different than what I had written down from my research) My price was $178 for both. I went to a local dealer and they matched their internet price. I had checked with NAPA and they had me for almost $150. I figured I'd pay the extra $30 and get Toyota Genuine. I've changed my oil and the guy who made the youtube video said "if you have changed the oil , you can do this"..I think getting the skid off is just lifting up and sliding to left (towards drivers side).
Once the skid was off I could easily see and get to everything. I did not take the top cover off. I used the 14 mm socket on a Torque wrench (for the length) put the 5 mm allen wrench, unscrewed the 12 mm bolt, then took out the 6 mm hex screw. Once the tensioner was off, I took the belt off. I printed out the diagram for the belt. I didn't have a vice, so I installed the new tensioner on the truck. Then I took the tension off and used another allen wrench 5mm . This was probably what I think is the hardest part. Using one arm to take the tension off and then another to put the allen wrench in the hole was a *****. Intact, it just barely gave me enough room to take the tensioner to were the hole for the allen wrench goes. Once this was back on I but the belt on following the diagram. At first I hadn't put it over the tensioner and thought, damn the belt is to long. So I just took my time and saw what I did wrong. Then I made sure all the belt and grooves were together and took out the allen wrench. Gave it one more look over and gave it a start up. So far no noise and it has been the same conditions that the old one made noise. So thanks for everybody who gave support. Like the saying goes, If I can do it, any body can almost do it!! I'm no were near a mechanic but I found the confidence and courage to give it a try. Luckily it paid off and so far 2016 has started off good!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts