Toyota Tundra Forums banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I haven't posted here in ages. Thought I'd rehash this 5yo thread to thank the OP and encourage others to have no fear to do this themselves. Took me an hour from start to finish - including cleanup.

My belt disintegrated at highway speeds. I had to de-tangle the ball of shredded belt that was tightly knotted around the cooling fan/pulley. I replaced the belt, no issues. But, when I forced the original tensioner to the lock position, there was A LOT of lateral play. In fact, as I took the pin out to release it, the white plastic ring on the outer edge fell off an hit me in the face. It still worked, no squeaking, and the belt seemed to be on straight. Still, I didn't trust the tensioner.

I ordered a new OEM assembly from a dealer in GA (eBay storefront) for $75 (incl shipping, no tax). It arrived today. This time, I didn't bother removing the belt (since it was brand new). I just pulled it away from the area where I was working, and put it back when done. Quick, simple, and very doable.

A big thanks for the write up - especially the part about pinning the new one before installing it. I had a really hard time getting the original one pinned due to the lateral play. I was able to avoid all of that by using the vise suggestion.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need to change mine out. Especially the belt. Where is everyone getting their belt or what brand?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just got an '09 SR5 with 160k on the clock and I'm currently overhauling the entire cooling system. Searching for the proper torque specs of the two bolts that holds the serpentine belt tensioner its what lead me to this thread. Anyone knows the torque specs of the two bolts?

TIA!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just got an '09 SR5 with 160k on the clock and I'm currently overhauling the entire cooling system. Searching for the proper torque specs of the two bolts that holds the serpentine belt tensioner its what lead me to this thread. Anyone knows the torque specs of the two bolts?

TIA!
Per OEM Manual, it is 17ft lb. I've attached a TSB for pulley showing torque specs.

Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
I recently replaced the belt tensioner pulley with OEM on my 2007 Tundra with 133502 miles. Before the replacement I had started to hear a worn bearing like noise, specifically between 1 - 5mph is most noticeable. After removing the old belt tensioner pulley I compared it with the new part by spinning the pulleys by hand and I can hear a slight noise with old part.

Carl

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
I know that this thread is crazy old...especially by this point (Nov 2021)...but its TOTALLY helping me out. I just changed the belt the other day, and the following day I am hearing a clicking or some noise that is probably coming from the pulley/belt tensioner. Wish I would have just changed everything out all at the same time, but oh well. Big thank you to FiremanMike 👊

41 - 48 of 48 Posts