Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 Sequoia with only 27K miles on it. I figured I would bring it into a new local Toyota dealer and get some items serviced. I asked them to lube the drive shaft, replace the plugs, replace the diff fluids, check the brakes and replace the front brakes if they needed it. I thought the front pads would need replacement by now.

The tech called me at home and said the front pads were fine with 30% left and that they would just clean and lube all the brake parts.

When I picked up the vehicle later that day, I was surprised at the total cost..... $409.65.

Clean & lube frt & rear brakes.............$136.00
Diff fluid service...............................$137.95
Lubricate drive shaft.........................$34.00
Replace spark plugs..........................$71.36
Tax...............................................$30.34

I've had the drive shaft lube before at another dealer for only $19.50.

Do you think this dealer charges too much? Any other had similar service done and paid similar prices?

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
29 Posts
Honestly, I've never heard of cleaning and lubing the brakes. I know that the calipers are usually greased when you replace the pads, but why are they lubing them in between services?

Lubing the drive shaft literally takes 5 minutes. So, if they charged you $34.00 for that, you definitely got ripped off.

The cost of the diff fluid change and replacement of spark plugs sounds about normal.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You definately took it in the shorts on the clean & lube brake deal as well as the lube drive shafts! :eek: That should have be "complimentary"! Did they re-grease the muffler bearings too?
I changed my front, rear and transfer case fluids with 100% synthetic Amsoil for $96.
I'd be a bit hacked off if it was my bill! :mad:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I have an 04 Sequoia with only 27K miles on it. I figured I would bring it into a new local Toyota dealer and get some items serviced. I asked them to lube the drive shaft, replace the plugs, replace the diff fluids, check the brakes and replace the front brakes if they needed it. I thought the front pads would need replacement by now.

The tech called me at home and said the front pads were fine with 30% left and that they would just clean and lube all the brake parts.

When I picked up the vehicle later that day, I was surprised at the total cost..... $409.65.

Clean & lube frt & rear brakes.............$136.00
Diff fluid service...............................$137.95
Lubricate drive shaft.........................$34.00
Replace spark plugs..........................$71.36
Tax...............................................$30.34

I've had the drive shaft lube before at another dealer for only $19.50.

Do you think this dealer charges too much? Any other had similar service done and paid similar prices?

Thanks,
Bob
Toyota Parts and Service this will help you figure out what Toyota reccomends and always save your reciepts in case you have warranty work done? If that would apply but this site shows what they reccomend!! you probably got took on the brake and the lube but ya did not get dirty? still trying to figure out what got lubed during brake cleaning besides your pocket book? Is it a 4x4? if so the 19.50 lube was a decent price but 34.00 was way too much! if it was not a 4x4 i would have a talk with someone cause 4x2's i do not think have fittings, but yours was probably a 4x4!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.:ts: I figured something was a bit fishy with that clean & lube of the brakes. Next time I'll go back to my previous dealer. I'm getting too old to do all the maintenance myself.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Thanks for the replies.:ts: I figured something was a bit fishy with that clean & lube of the brakes. Next time I'll go back to my previous dealer. I'm getting too old to do all the maintenance myself.
Brakes do require a special lube if they have been torn apart and put back together but i would bet my last dollar they only measured pad thickness visually and maybe blew off brakes with air hose? I could be wrong but with the Jiffy Lube rejects that work in a lotta dealerships you probably would not wanta bet me!:eek:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it pretty simple to change out the front pads myself? The rotors are in excellent shape and very smooth. Are there detailed instruction for replacing the pads?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pads on these trucks are NO SWEAT to do. I did my first set of pads on about 45 minutes, could do again in about 15. I wouldn't pay a dealer to do pads on these trucks again...

Rotors are another story. Fronts aren't bad, but the rears are a real pain because of the e-brake drums.

You should be able to get your friendly Toyota parts guy to print out the FSM (Factory Service Manual) pages for brake pad replacement. Chiltons/Haynes manuals usually do a pretty good job with these things too.

Or go to techinfo.toyota.com and set up an account to view & print your own FSM pages for a nominal fee.

-G

1 - 10 of 10 Posts