Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Crew Max and the service engine light and the trac off light is on steady and 4 low was blinking ? Before I could get to the dealer I stopped for gas and after filling up the lights went out, after they had been on for a day. Could this maybe be the cause from aloose gas cap ?
Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too have a 2012 crew max with 8000 mi. and same lights came on today and went into limp mode. I fueled up drove 70 miles to work, parked for 8 hrs and when I went to drive home it happened. I tried every trick I know with the ignition and key fob. I am going to try disconnecting the battery in the morning. oh it is icy and snowy at 17 degrees. I hope Toyota has plans to remedy this.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had it happen one night at around negative 4 degrees. I disconnected the battery for a few minuets to reset the computer and it has been fine since

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just had the same thing happen to my 2012 - 16,000 miles on it - Woke up it was 4 degree's, started the truck came out 10 mins later and the check engine light was on, track like on, and the 4-lo light was blinking...disconnected the battery for 5 mins and all lights went off - Again thinking the cold has something to do with this, a real bummer I love this truck and I bought a toyota not to have these problems, sigh I hope it never happens again but have little faith right now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This problem happen to me as well few hours ago. I wake up in early in morning bout 5:15am the New Mexico winter weather was 9 Degrees outside... I stated my truck... Warmed it up for bout 10 mins... Before, I left my drive way the Check Engine light was on, TRAC OFF light was on, and 4LO was blinking... Thank God that I found this Website and found out I wasn't the only one with this problem. First thing I did was I twisted off and back on the gas cap; next turn off all the lights off the truck; then unhooked the Battery cable for about 5 Mins... After that I re-hook back the battery gave it another 3 mins before I turn my key on to start it. I worked great!!! All the warning lights went off and the truck works right new!!
I think this winter weather has something to do with this electronic system board.
Thank you so much for all your info about this problem!
V
2012_toyota_tundra_4wd_truck_95447155883408463.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me this weekend. Check engine light on, blinking 4LO and Track Off light on. Took to Dealership, in a few minutes they said I was good to go... Told me I needed to have a "fuel service" performed ( $128 and not covered under warranty). I don't know for sure but i think that was "BS". Don't know what they did but didn't take long. Next time I'm trying the disconnect battery method and see if that works. They also told me the reason the lights came on was water in fuel? anyone ever heard of this?

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
Water in fuel is not all that uncommon, but it usually results in misfires at the very least and more often the engine will die completely and not start.
I suspect all of the stuff that they told you was BS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2012 crew cab Tundra with 5600 kms (3000 mi.) I filled up my truck yesterday with Shell gas and drove it home ,2kms . Last night it was about 9 degrees C . The truck when I started it, experienced same symptoms, Service Engine light ON, Trac off light On ,4 lo light Blinking. Still under warranty. Should I take it in to the dealer or just disconnect the battery? What will need to be reset after the battery is reconnected? Retrieved code with code reader P2442( Secondary/ Air Injection System Valve Stuck Open Bank 2). Going to try some gas line anti-freeze.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mine did the same., but it is/was the AIP problem. Toyota flashed the computer, and now when I shut the truck off the AIP motors run for a second. It sounds funny but what can I do.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi all,

This happen to my 2012 4x4 DC SR5 with a 4.6 motor... after 2 nights at the dealer they discovered that a sponge filter "let go" and block one of the hoses going into a AI pump. Not sure how much BS this might be... but it is 6,000 km later and everything seems good (truck as seen 25 below, lots and lots of snow etc since then).:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Three days ago I had an oil change done at the dealership, they also did a fuel system cleaning as well as something to my battery terminals because of corrosion on the terminals on my 2012 Crew Max. This morning when I got in the truck to leave for work when I started it there was a black cloud of smoke that came out of the exhaust, and now I have a check engine light the TRAC off light and blinking 4Lo light. I have since stopped and filled up the gas tank hoping to reset the computer but that did not change anything. I am assuming this truck is safe to drive as I have to get to work. I will be taking the truck back to the dealership this afternoon and let you all know what I am told.

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
That combination of lights usually indicates an AIP problem. If you're in limp mode, it's probably an AIP valve stuck open (P2440 or P2442).

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a 2008 CM with 60k miles, and this exact problem happened to me yesterday. I didn't fill up and I live in Georgia so cold wasn't an issue. After shifting through the 4Hi and 4Lo modes, the problem continued. In fact, the lights for 4Lo and 4Hi were both lit, with the VSC off and Check Engine light all blinking. I unhooked the battery for 30 minutes, cleaned the terminal and now everything seems fine. I will try the AIP fix next if it continues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well, it happened again. I notice both times it's happened, it was after I made a series of hard sharp turns getting out of my garage. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
5,468 Posts
Well, it happened again. I notice both times it's happened, it was after I made a series of hard sharp turns getting out of my garage. Any ideas?
You need to have the DTC codes read to find out what problem you are trying to solve. Most auto parts stores will do it free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Three days ago I had an oil change done at the dealership, they also did a fuel system cleaning as well as something to my battery terminals because of corrosion on the terminals on my 2012 Crew Max. This morning when I got in the truck to leave for work when I started it there was a black cloud of smoke that came out of the exhaust, and now I have a check engine light the TRAC off light and blinking 4Lo light. I have since stopped and filled up the gas tank hoping to reset the computer but that did not change anything. I am assuming this truck is safe to drive as I have to get to work. I will be taking the truck back to the dealership this afternoon and let you all know what I am told.
After going to the dealership and having the truck hooked to the computer they said the stupid Flex Fuel engine had measured what type of gas I had in the tank incorrectly and the gas to oxygen mix was off. I was told because it is a Flex Fuel engine EVERY TIME I put gas in the truck I need to "let it warm up" for at least 5 minutes. If I choose to not sit at the gas station for five minutes and drive away I cannot go over 1/2 throttle for the five minutes......whats the first you do to pull onto a highway, yeap punch the gas pedal. This is so stupid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The same thing happened to me. but the roads were icy and snowy. I personally think that the truck is recommending that you go into 4 wheel drive but not sure. My truck is new to me as well

·
Registered
30 Posts
With only three days and 500 miles left on the Toyota 5/60k warranty I took it to Toyota and as is usual, I couldn't duplicate the problem. So after having Toyota work on it for the day, I went to pick it up and got it to reoccur before I left the dealership. Toyota checked the code and verified it was a Secondary AIP failure. Good call Black Platinum '10 and Mendonsy. It helps to have a little forum knowledge to keep the BS meter from pegging. Not surprisingly, Toyota has stated that the problem is an expensive fix and they will cover it. Knowledge is power forum members. I just wish Toyota would issue a Technical Service Bulletin and make it right for everyone. Clearly there's a parts quality, or design flaw that needs attention.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts