Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so today i was helpimg my friend get a motor after loading the motor in the bed of my truck and closed the tail gate i noticed a lot of scraches i dont know were they came from and i dont really care , i know detailing and there def not going to come out. I was wondering if anyone hase shaved there tail gate handle and relocated it to the inside of the bed of the truck?

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Re: Shaveing tail gate handle

I don't get the correlation. Do you think moving the handle to the inside will eliminate scratches? Or maybe you'll shave since you will have to repaint? Or something else?

I've not heard of it. Unless you are tall, having an inside handle will be awkward. How about a remote release?

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Edit: sorry about that beacuse i have to repaint the tail gate and i ordered a rear roll pan i fugered i mine as well shave the handle. My truck it lowered so it s not hard to get to the back side of the tail gate. remote release is a good idea but i dont want to have to wire anything .

·
Registered
4,610 Posts

Wiring will be far less work than shaving will be. I could see why this would be a good time to do. I'd also consider doing the remote and color matching the stock handle and maybe the door handles. Are you doing the work yourself?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts

Yeah, I vote for the auto tail gate. Cheap and easy to install. Here's mine:

·
Registered
7,461 Posts

Wiring will be far less work than shaving will be. I could see why this would be a good time to do. I'd also consider doing the remote and color matching the stock handle and maybe the door handles. Are you doing the work yourself?
i vote for color matching the stock handle as well....

basically free for me. i took a scratched handle, sanded it smooth, primered it, wet sanded, primered, a few times to get smooth finish then handed it to my neighbor who painted it when he painted a toyota super white vehicle at his body shop.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes i will be doing the work myself i was wonderinng if anyone hase done this yet? I have everthing eles color matched all ready.
Convert did you put something in the tail get that unlocks it and locks it? and do u have a write up or a how to? Can this also be used with out the handle?
I might color match it it looks really good better then i though it would thanks barney..

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Yes i will be doing the work myself i was wonderinng if anyone hase done this yet? I have everthing eles color matched all ready.
Convert did you put something in the tail get that unlocks it and locks it? and do u have a write up or a how to? Can this also be used with out the handle?
I might color match it it looks really good better then i though it would thanks barney..
I followed the following DIY for both the electronic lock/unlock and also the auto release. And, yes, you could do this without a handle. Essentially it's just a couple of actuators that are wired into the door lock wires and pull/push the tailgate release rods.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/116550-diy-automatic-tailgate-unlock-lock-projects/

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sick thank you looks like am going to do the mod with out the 1" throw on the actuator cause there willnt be a lock or even handle there lol thanks alot:beavbutt:

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

Yeah, I vote for the auto tail gate. Cheap and easy to install. Here's mine:

So what tells it to open?? Hitting unlock three times or something?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts

So what tells it to open?? Hitting unlock three times or something?
Unlock 4 times or lock 3 times within 2 seconds. You just have to send a signal to the passenger doors 3 times. However, this is programmed, so you can have it work however you want.

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts

Unlock 4 times or lock 3 times within 2 seconds. You just have to send a signal to the passenger doors 3 times. However, this is programmed, so you can have it work however you want.
Thats pretty cool man. I wish I had the know-how/drive to do that kind of stuff

·
Premium Member
349 Posts

Thats pretty cool man. I wish I had the know-how/drive to do that kind of stuff
Honestly, it's not that difficult. Especially if you follow that link that I posted. I couldn't have figured it all out on my own without that guide. You just tap into a couple of wires by the front passenger seat and into the controller module, and then run them back inside the tailgate to the actuators. Definitely a project that can be completed within a couple of hours.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Just a heads up for thoose thinking about this add some locktight on the screws that you use to hold the 2 rods together after about a year and then some mine became loose and wasn't able to pop open the tailgate but it was a easy quick fix. Just open the access panel and re-tighten the screws, this time I added locktight.

Yes the TR-7 units can be programed to detect how ever many pulses you want to set it for, also you can use the power unlock button on the doors to do this if you don't have your remote key fob in hand.

Just passing on my long term notes over time... :D

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WT thanks for the killer write up it hase been a huge help and a kick a** mod. Tonghit starts the shaveing of the door handle.:beavbutt:

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
WT thanks for the killer write up it hase been a huge help and a kick a** mod. Tonghit starts the shaveing of the door handle.:beavbutt:
Well glad you enjoy it, good luck with your project and post back on how things turned out..
:headbanger:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would love to see pics when you're done. I do worry about relying on the auto release and not an inner handle in addition. Please keep us updated on how your project goes; I might follow suite.

·
Rut Ro!
4,269 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
SHAVE IT!!!smooth is always better!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Am not to worriered about the relay failing worse case your have to open the back of the tailgate and release it.I will def keep everone posted, thats sick how he did the role pan. Marky your shaveing the door handles off compleatly? And the role pan just showed up today:becky:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts