Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick Question - Does Mobile 1 gear oil have a shelf life of x amount of years? I just purchased a case (12 quarts) of gear oil online for $100.00. I plan on changing out both my front and rear differential fluid this weekend, which should use around 6 1/2 of the 12 quarts. I will not need to change the differential fluid again for at least 20,000 miles, taking me close to 3 years to reach this number based on my driving habits. Is the remaining oil I purchased today going to be good three years from now? I think it would be, but I thought I would go ahead and ask just in case it is not.

And in case you guys are interested, here is where I got the gear oil from. Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil LS 75W-90 / 12 Quart Case

It was on sale for 100.00 per case (12 quarts) and shipping was $17.00. I thought this was a pretty good deal. I just hope they are a reputable company, otherwise I am going to be out some money.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You should just sell it to a friend in need.

·
Registered
60 Posts
5 years? Huh, I've been places in Alaskan Bush where locals have stored regular oil, aviation oil, 2 cycle oil for many years beyond 5. No one seems to every had a problem with the oil it is the gas or water in gas but not oil. There are still cases of oil out there that require the old metal push and pour spigot to cut the oil can.

·
Registered
397 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

In RVN ... I ate C-Rations that were over 20 years old .. and oil should last longer than C-Rats ... :eek:

That oil floating on top of the C-Rat peanut butter would lubricate anything ... :D

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Thanks. One of my jobs at work is Hazmat Rep. I deal with shelf life of chemicals from time to time.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys. I will make a note to change the differential fluid again four years from now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts