Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey ya'll.

Forum newbie, but not newbie to forums or Toyotas. I've owned 2 Tacos, 2 4Runners, a Scion and a Corolla.

Now a proud new owner of an 02 Tundra we've named Mr T (2WD unfortunately, would much have preferred 4WD) that I bought locally (SWFL) to ship to Exuma (link to our blog in sig) where we're moving as soon as we can make that happen. Yeah, for real - it isn't just a dream. We are in the mortgage process now, 3rd trip in less than a year coming up next month. Realistically we're looking at April/May next year if we are able to get everything lined up by then but nothing about this is simple. We're planning to get Mr T into a container along with some other items to arrive some time between Sept 17 and 25th while we're there.

This particular truck has the exact same island mentality I have. I didn't realize it until I took it to get the title changed, but it was sold in SWFL, shipped to the USVI, then back to SWFL and now he's going to another rock.

He has 84k miles on him, is a little worn cosmetically - or should I say sunburnt - has a little bit of surface rust underneath but really not bad and overall in pretty mechanical good condition for the age and history.

Before shipping I'm taking care of some routine maintenance so I don't have to try and mess with that over there. Parts can be weeks out, and finding someone who has a transmission flush machine probably won't be too easy.

Here's what he's going through right now:
- tie rod ends
- ball joint recall & alignment
- probably a new exhaust
- fluids
- timing belt
- plugs, injector cleaning and tune up
- valve cover & oil pan gaskets
- and some misc other small things

My question is what should I take spares of? So far I'm planning:
- belts
- hoses (just the main coolant ones, not ones where a generic will work)
- brake pads
- misc little things (interior door handle set, light bulbs, that kind of thing)
- oil filters
- extra spark plug or two
- sway bar bushings and/or end links

I don't want to go nuts and have $ sitting in spares but I also want to be prepared. Non-essential parts can be ordered or brought in luggage. But having a truck down for weeks waiting for a small stupid part would suck.

He will be our 2nd vehicle to primarily tow the boat and haul stuff that is too big for the other car (Trying to find a 1st gen xB or a Matrix). Really want a hatchback Toyota.

We won't be commuting and don't need 2 vehicles regularly so he will have a relaxing life doing primarily fun stuff like hauling the boat to the ramp and being a beach bum when we haul kayaks to go explore. He's the workhorse, the other will be the gas-miler.

So, what all should I consider sending with Mr T?

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Water pump to go with your timing belt.

Sway bar end links or at least the bushings.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Water pump to go with your timing belt.

Sway bar end links or at least the bushings.
Sorry for the late reply. I didn't get a notice for this. I think it was because it was my first post and required mod approval to post.

Bushings is a good idea. The water pump was changed with the timing belt. I probably should get a thermostat and water pump as a spare as well though.

Unfortunately Amazon does not ship to Bahamas. If that were the case, then yes it would be much easier. The other challenge is the high import duty plus time and cost of shipping. It can take weeks to get something, a 50% or greater import duty, plus shipping that costs more than the part in many cases especially in rush situations. Either that or it gets packed in luggage on a flight there.

So filling up the tool box on the truck prior to shipping seems the best approach in order to have spares available and reduce the shipping costs.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
We Baja folk have evolved towards something called the Tortilla Telegraph. Once you make some friends I'm sure it'll be easy to sweet-talk a visiting sister's boyfriend's uncle's brother's mom to smuggle a part into Bahamas. Just saying!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We Baja folk have evolved towards something called the Tortilla Telegraph. Once you make some friends I'm sure it'll be easy to sweet-talk a visiting sister's boyfriend's uncle's brother's mom to smuggle a part into Bahamas. Just saying!
That is a real possibility I keep in the back fo my mind. Oddly though, I've offered a few people to put stuff in a container we considered shipping and bringing stuff whenever we fly in and not one has ever taken me up on it. I love the Tortilla Telegraph name though. I'm going to have to come up with a name for it over there if they don't have a good one already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts