Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep, that shock went bad, they should never leak like that...you'll want to get both replaced. (It's not a hard job if you're a DIY person!)

Reactions: Jonesy

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yea they are oil filled. There’s also almost nothing left of that bushing. That strut is long past due. Like what was said before me, it’s not a terrible job to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea after research I found that out. And yes I do all my own stuff unless I just dont have the tool. Cant I just replace the shock and not the coil
spring?

·
Registered
10,528 Posts

I can R&R the units but I prefer to have a mechanic's shop break down the units to install the springs on the new dampers.
I'm not a fan of using a spring compressor to do the job.

dwil4

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yea after research I found that out. And yes I do all my own stuff unless I just dont have the tool. Cant I just replace the shock and not the coil
spring?
Yeah you don’t have to replace the springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it fairly easy or do I need a spring compressor of some sort to get them off and on? Spring under load? Dangerous?

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Sequoia Limited
217 Posts
Is it fairly easy or do I need a spring compressor of some sort to get them off and on? Spring under load? Dangerous?
need a spring compressor. yes, can be very dangerous if you aren't watching what you are doing. I've done 15-20 sets myself, long as you use the compressor correctly you are fine, can pick them up at any auto store for free rental

1 - 8 of 8 Posts