Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fam is lookin for a used cabover camper for our 2000 Tundra.
We will be off road for some of our trips.
I don't want to be slowed down by super tall hard sided camper - I like to get where I'm goin.
I have looked at both pop ups and hard side campers.
We have already installed Helwig helper springs and new hvy. duty shocks.
any suggestions?
As of now, we like the weight and aerodynamics of the pop up.
thanks in advance
Ed

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
pop ups can leak in heavy rain or if it has been raining for a few days, so be prepared with a large tarp if the weather threatens. Also, a pop up will take longer to set up than a hardside.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I have a 00 tundra and picked up a older (72) import camper that is 8 feet long, so it is heavy not sure exactly the weight. Befor I did my AAL and 1 inch block, the camper loaded with all our gear I had about 1 inch till I hit my bumper stops on the leaf. I also carried a full size 8ft camper empty that was about the same weight as mine empty. I havn't put my camper on yet since my lift so im not to sure how my truck will sit, but I hope it sits level. If all else fails I will resort to air bags.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
There are a lot of different options but, it would be easier to provide suggestions if you can provide more details on what your plans are for the truck and the type of adventures you have planned.

For me, I plan on building a platform for the bed that sits on the bedrails and slides on and off. Underneath will be used for storage. On top it will be sturdy enough to hold the big stuff and to be able to sleep on. Then integrate either a soft topper (canvas type of shell for the bed) or build a flip type of canvas tent that can could be easily assembled in seconds.

·
Registered
245 Posts
My father in law has a hard sided pop up that is great because they are much sturdier than the regular old tent canvas pop ups, but still collapse so that it is easier to pull behind you. His also has a shower/toilet combo.

If you werent in CA I would tell you to come by and look at it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We settled on a Phoenix pop up cabover that actually fits a Tacoma. It is super trim - does not stick out down the side at all. It is a lil tricky removing it, but my son n I have a routine now that is not too bad. (The Phoenix is the same as a 4-Wheel camper. son of the fam that started 4-Wheel many yrs. ago). We are super happy with it 'cept for the leakage... it's a fair weather camper fer sure!

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I had my o1 we put close to 25K miles on a re-built 76 six-pax hard side.
Jackson Hole ski trip

I had timberines and a rear sway bar.

the camper weighed ~1400#, and all filled up, dogs and wife went out for a two week MT-OR-CA-AZ-CO trip, lots of hills and highway time we were just shy of 2K...

For the camper to fit, I cut a but over 2 feet off the back, added 6" to the floor width, and 4 inches to height...
I still ended up w/ a horse stall mat (3/4") and some foam (1") to give 4" of clearance between truck cab and camper.

Cost was right, I know it won't leak, and it has the floor plan I like.

Worry about tires the most, get GOOD ones, NOT cheap ones.

RV.net is to RV's, as TS is to tundras.

Best of luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts