Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like it says, Im shopping for a 1st gen, and im not sure what are the differences between them.

I have a really nice 05 that is going to my son and his wife by June. So i need to replace it with another.

I want some roof rack and a sun roof on my next one. I want 2DR and i will be towing durring the summer.

Also i was curious about reupholstering leather front driver seat. most of the ones ive seen online have worn out drivers seats leather.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The biggest differences seem to be non-VVT vs VVT engine (more HP with VVT) and Limited vs SR5 with Limited (all or some?) having an air suspension that gets expensive or time consuming to replace when it wears out. I went with a 2006 SR5 to get the VVT engine and no air suspension to deal with.

2005 or higher has VVT engine. Not sure about air suspension details.

Then there is of course 4WD vs non-4WD -- being in the upper midwest, I wanted 4WD so I got that but you can save a bunch if you don't need it (I'm guessing your "2DR" is 2 wheel drive so if so, yeah, you shouldn't have a hard time finding an inexpensive one).

All the drivers seats seem to rip on the lower side facing outwards. Mine has that problem too. I think in the past it wasn't too hard to find leather replacement panels but it seems harder these days. I ended up just deciding to live with it but if I could find a reasonable fix for it... For the leather in general, it seems like some cleaning/care products can make a huge difference. Ours definitely looks used but it's perfectly serviceable still and has a lot of life left in it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Find them here: SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

I would jump on this with both feet! Fully powered 03 Toyota Sequoia 3rd row - cars & trucks - by owner -...

and this one too: 2004 Toyota Sequoia SR5 - LOW MILEAGE - cars & trucks - by dealer -...

here's a 2x4 limited! 2006 Toyota Sequoia Limited Leather Loaded 3rd Row Sunroof FLORIDA...

and so on...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the info. N M T

So all 2005 and older have VVT engines. good to know.

Yes, 2wd is a must, just because I have zero need for it, and i don't want the potential repair issues of 4wd.
So i need to sort out which models come with air bag suspension and which don't. And is there any pros to air bag suspension (ride wise)

Personally, i like cloth seats better than leather but sunroof is more important to me than cloth seats so i assume only Limited come with sunroofs and they all have leather.

Coldwarkid,
Good tip on search tempest i forgot about that. the 03 deal looks too good to be true. if it was closer to Atlanta i would have to check it out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
No, 2005+ have VVT, prior to 2005 is the older engine without VVT. I think it's like 20-30 HP more with VVT? Not 100% on that. My SR5 came with leather and sunroof.

·
Registered
224 Posts
No issues with my 2006 SR5 4X4. Also, I have not seen a sunroof with cloth seats. A basic SR5 will have cloth, but no sunroof. Leather and sunroof were options on the SR5. There are plenty of Sequoias out there. Unfortunately, for every good one there are two out there that have been abused or neglected. Sad.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the info. N M T

So all 2005 and older have VVT engines. good to know.

Yes, 2wd is a must, just because I have zero need for it, and i don't want the potential repair issues of 4wd.
So i need to sort out which models come with air bag suspension and which don't. And is there any pros to air bag suspension (ride wise)

Personally, i like cloth seats better than leather but sunroof is more important to me than cloth seats so i assume only Limited come with sunroofs and they all have leather.

Coldwarkid,
Good tip on search tempest i forgot about that. the 03 deal looks too good to be true. if it was closer to Atlanta i would have to check it out.
On these trucks the air bags are to level the truck while towing and have little, if anything, to do with ride quality. I think I remember seeing the associated air compressor on rock auto, for $1,600.

Oh, and if you're looking for a smooth, comfy ride, better buy another truck! This IS a pickup with a body, where the bed was.

The trusty 4.7 is/was my choice. Newer - even more powerful - is not always best.

The 4.7 has plenty of stomp. Provided it runs well - lol. A lot of them don't - they still have the factory plugs, egr valve, etc etc etc. With 4.10 gearing and a motor that loves to rev you can pass cars as well as, and in most cases better than, say, a v-6 camry.

This is a vehicle that could be dangerous. It's "grocery getter" design masks what it really is (a freakin' T A N K) almost completely. First thing you'll notice when you actually get one is the truck is taller than you are, even if you are a big man. It seems they designed it to win intimidation contests, at red lights. And it will back that up in the ensuing drag race, blowing Tahos out of the water like they are volkswagons.

Down under, there are massive sway bars, thicker than your thumb where it meets your hand. It does not lean, in corners. You feel like GOD, riding high above it all and absolutely care-free. But it's not long before you're first wake-up call. The brakes are CRIPPLED by the ABS and stopping it in a hurry CAN be traumatic... You can push the "track off" button but, as usual, papa toyota knows more than you do so at 30 mph it comes back on - like it or not.

If you push it too hard into a turn it will SUDDENLY and UNCONTROLLABLY spin out, due to oversteer. Watch wet roads...

So, IMHO, making it go faster just might not be the best idea you ever had.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you were looking for better ride quality, I would shop for a Ford Expedition. It's the same size as a Sequoia, but with the independent rear, it will drive and ride better. The interiors were updated in 03, and they get slightly better fuel economy. With higher trims, you can easily find power adjustable pedals, something first gens never offered. You will also avoid the expensive timing belt maintenance since the Ford motors have a timing chain.

Just thought I'd remind you of what else is out there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for that input on the Ford but I need high mileage reliability as my budget is $6000 max. More like $4500 and $1500 to get it into top driving cond.
I like everything about my 05 sr5. I just need roof racks and want a sunroof.
I drive over 30k miles a year and toyota just good with high mileage reliability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure how meaningful it is, but my 06 Tundra SR5 has cloth and a factory power moonroof. Maybe they're out there in Sequoia land also?

Also something to consider... while I also love the idea of the sunroof, it appears Toyota has discontinued selling the rubber gasket/seal for 1st gens (Tundra and Sequoia use the same part). So if you're going to keep it a while, that could become a headache. I've seen some older Toyota trucks develop leaks on sunroofs that get really bad.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an '05 limited with factory air bags. It tows my 29' Streamline TT, 6k lbs much better than my 01. The 05's have a 5 speed transmission the top 2 gears are the same as the 4 speed. The rear track is wider too. More power from the 4.7. I also have the rear bucket seats which work well for me as does the 4wd. Have 217k on it and didn't hesitate to take the kids cross the country to Colorado in it. There were some frame rust issues and recalls on some vehicles so it would be worth taking it by the dealer to get checked out. They will rust from the inside out. Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good to know about the sunroof gasket. And the 05 better towing thanks.

I'm finding that cloth interiors are very rare. 2wd are harder to find too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2005 Sequoia SR5 4x4 with cloth seats and a sunroof! Picked it up two months ago, the guy I bought it from was the original owner and got all the add ons, 17" wheels, JBL Sound system. So its like a limited I guess but without the leather or air bag suspension. I was in the same boat when I was looking. All the leather seats in my price range were in terrible condition. California is full of 2wd Sequoias, it was hard for me to find a 4x4.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought my 06 SR5 w/ leather, sun roof and JBL out in San Francisco Bay Area. I wanted 4x4/4WD as I was bringing it back to snowy upper midwest and indeed it was hard to find (and pricey) there. But there were plenty of 2WD as broaway mentions above. So it might be worth a trip to go get a non-rusty 2WD Sequioa. Definitely a hassle buying from out of the area though particularly right now of course but might be worth thinking about.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my 06 SR5 w/ leather, sun roof and JBL out in San Francisco Bay Area. I wanted 4x4/4WD as I was bringing it back to snowy upper midwest and indeed it was hard to find (and pricey) there. But there were plenty of 2WD as broaway mentions above. So it might be worth a trip to go get a non-rusty 2WD Sequioa. Definitely a hassle buying from out of the area though particularly right now of course but might be worth thinking about.
Nooooo!

The california emissions will bite you in your a**!

Florida is a far better choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
2003 . Came simpler and with less expensive features that can go wrong.

Also, No vvti/ So you can change the oil at longer intervals with better oil.

Also, Aluminum intake manifold. No plastic crap that warps and falls part internally.

Also, T-TV fluid..

Bad's:
Wheel bearing failures.
Rear drum brakes.
Leather hard to find.
HIGH MILES
RUST

·
Registered
52 Posts
My '04 still has the 4.7 - no vvti. She has the rear disks (but what's wrong with drum brakes?) Wheel bearings - replaced 3 of 4. The left front never seems to go out. A simple ebay search reveals LOTS of choices for the leather seat covers - bottom left and right. They CAN be found with low miles - mine had 135K - but it STILL cost me cubic dollars to bring it up to snuff. Timing belt, rad, wheel bearings, ball joints, u-joints, tires, good tune-up and a lot of little stuff. Still needs keys made and remotes. Speakers. Rear window fixed. Power antenna... and the beat goes on.

I paid 7K, I must have 10K in it now. (Labor was free 'cause I fixed it myself). If you're not good with a wrench - RUN AWAY! There's no way in he77 this truck is worth the cost of paying to have the necessary work done. Even though it IS the very best drive of any SUV. And I think I have driven them all - from tahos to cayennes to rovers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can do a complete 100,000mi service including belts,water pump, all fluids for around $1000 online! Which is really good considering the price of tea in china right now.

I have done it about a dozen times. All are still running on the road. Of course i have collected tools for the better part of half my life, and have been wrenching for the other half.

Denso, asien, and gates are your friends. Rockauto is your BFF,

1 - 20 of 22 Posts