Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rookie on this site but I use it and read it for DIY and other truck questions. Just purchased This tundra a month ago. Love it but it's one problem after another. Here is my my situation below: thanks for the help.
Driving down the road and all of a sudden all the power to the truck goes out. I pull off the road, put the car into park and start to disengage the key and pull it from the ignition when the starter starts to fire off again. I pull the key out and it continues to engage. I jumped out, open the hood and grab for the (+) terminal connected to the battery to try and yank it off. When I moved the battery by pulling on the terminal wire, the starter disengaged. I noticed that the (+) terminal had touched up against the metal mounting bracket that goes over the battery to hold it into place. The terminal and the metal bracket had ground themselves to each other.

I went back inside the cab and inserted the key into the ignition, turned it to the fire position, power was on, gauges worked but the truck was acting like the battery was very weak and did not have a charge. The windows will not work, the CD player will not come on. I tried to fire over the truck and get nothing, no clicking of the starter, nada. Pulled the battery, took it to autozone and they said it was 100% charged and should work not problem.

I was able to make it home, grab some tools. I checked the fuse box under the hood and found only one fuse that was bad ( battery charge fuse, 30A), replaced it. Check the fuse inside the cab under the steering column and they seem to be ok as well. I looked and smelled under the hood for burnt wires or anything of that nature.

I don't know where to go from here diagnosing the issue? I am not sure if the starter is the problem, the relays, etc? The starter is located under the intake manifold on these trucks and therefore difficult to get to. I want to eliminate all other causes before diving into that problem?

HELP PLEASE?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Just to clarify, did you manage to drive your truck home, or did you have to go get tools and bring them back to where you left your truck?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry for confusion. The truck will not start, therefore I had to leave it and go get tools at my house. Had my buddy tow me home.
Just to clarify, did you manage to drive your truck home, or did you have to go get tools and bring them back to where you left your truck?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the ignition control switch located on the tundra's? I am wonder if I fried that switch or the fuse(s) running to it and this is why the I get nothing when I turn the key over?

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
you need to load test that battery. just because it is charged doesnt mean you can draw 300+ amps to start the truck. the battery just shorted out against its self with no fuse between it so the battery is drained. your lucky that battery didn't explode in your face while trying to unshort it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
also check the main fuse, pull it out and test it with a meter, heck i'd pull all the (major ones at least) fuses and check them, as sometimes the big (100 amp or more?) fuse will go when you short crap out, though normally that's what goes when you revere connect a battery... either way, i'd have a look through again, but just shorting out a battery to itself shouldn't really fry anything at all, unless other stuff somehow got shorted at the same time... though if you have crap that loose under there it sounds like the truck wasn't very well taken care of and other stuff could just be wrong and loose too? though the starter going on it's own sounds like something is definetly funky and in and of itself shouldn't have anything to do with the short, unless there is a short on the starter circuit that got connected first/too

really sounds odd though... shouldn't be able to crank a starter at all when the positive post on a battery is shorted to the negative, there's no voltage potential there if it's shorted thus the starter won't be able to crank as no current can be generated across it

something is fishy that's for sure

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input fellas. I finally figured it out. There was a fault to the ground wires connected to the bottom of the motor and chassis. They were burnt completely off. Replaced those and she is running again. I pray she runs strong and there is no residual effect from that fault. Time will tell. Thanks everyone. I hope to get some pic up of my truck really soon. i am trying to find a fabricator that can build me a prerunner style bumper. I wish I owned a welder and I'd do it myself. People are quoting me crazy prices, $1500-$1700. lol I don't think so!

·
Registered
324 Posts
cheap harbor wire feed welder..less than 100.00 :laughing3d:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts