Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going tow a 5500-6000 lb TT this summer and am wondering if I should add airbags or helper springs. I plan on doing a WD hitch so are either of those really needed?

I have no idea what my tongue weight is going to be... this will be my first time towing such a hefty load.

·
Registered
513 Posts
i'll let the 1st gen people give you advice, but i like the combo WDH and airbags on my 08

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I had my 05 Tundra I pulled a 6,000lb TT.
The WD setup worked very well and the truck was level.
You may not need the Air Bags.
Try it and see. You can always add the bags later if you feel the need.

Bill

·
Registered
819 Posts
I have a 2004 and tow at least a 6,000 boat/trailer. I have not had any issues with the rear suspension.

I got new shocks at around 70,000 miles as I was noticing the rear bouncing a few more times than I remember over some highway expansion joints and the Bilstein Heavy Duties have been working well the past 30,000 miles.

I have disc brakes on both axles but have never felt the need to add springs or airbags for the load.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I tow a Jayco TT that dry is about 6K and with all the stuff loaded (food, water, gen, etc) must be a bit north of 7K. Have yet to weigh it, tho.

I've installed E rated tires, Rancho 9000 adjustable rear shocks, and a TRD sway bar. For towing I use a Reese Straightline Hitch that easily, and I mean easily, results in a level ride. Air bags are absolutely unnecessary in my case.

And in hindsite, I think the E rated tires are a bit overkill for my application but the Rancho shocks are worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Dave,

How did the Rancho adjustables effect the unloaded ride? I would like to install the Ranchos to help that out. I have airbags, but they have no effect on the suspension unloaded. If I air them up unloaded, the ride feels like a 1 ton truck.

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
Dave,

How did the Rancho adjustables effect the unloaded ride? I would like to install the Ranchos to help that out. I have airbags, but they have no effect on the suspension unloaded. If I air them up unloaded, the ride feels like a 1 ton truck.

Tom
Tom,

Unloaded they do stiffen, even at a low stiffness setting, the ride over the stock shocks but not all that much. But this is of small consequence for the greatly reduce porpoisng effect on the truck when I set the Rancho at a stiff setting that is imparted by the trailer when driving over dips, bumps, etc in the road.

From my reading, the Billstiens(sp?) seems to be the way to go for a smoother ride. I got the idea to use Rancho adjustables from posters over at RV.net.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Rancho's are made for many makes and models, not sure if they do the same for Blistiens which is why there wasn't much of a recommendation. I was going to go with the Rancho's too this summer to reduce that porpoising effect...airbags don't help at all with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts