Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking at a 1st gen '04 Tundra that i'm seriously considering buying. This would be used as a daily driver. It has 114K miles and they are asking $9,995. Does this sound like a decent deal? The truck is very clean and seems like it was extremely well taken care of. Only 1 owner and had regular maintenance done religiously according to the carfax. I guess my main concern, is it difficult to find parts for a truck that is already 16 years old? I know it's a Toyota, and most Tundra's are known for going 200k-300k miles with no major issues, but given the age would this be a bad purchase? I appreciate any feedback/advice!

Side note: I would want to do some simple mods like a newer radio, small lift, tires, wheels and running boards.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Looks like a decent truck, but looks can be VERY deceiving, yes I know you have the carfax in front of you and I’m sure it looks great on paper. Have you seen the truck in person? You REALLY gotta get down low and tap around for rust (a small hammer works, I just use my knuckles) on these.

I couldn’t tell you how many Tundra’s/Tacoma’s I looked at that were past the point of no return with frame to driveline rust so bad the rear pumpkin was leaking, yet was a well maintained,clean rig. Have you talked with the seller/dealer to see why they were selling it and lastly have you driven/rode in the truck. $10,000 is not chump change these days and the way their list price shows leads me to believe it is obo/leverage price. See the truck in person and find your leverage negotiation points.. after all IT IS a 16 year old truck. If you’ve done some lurking around on this site, you know what to look for. When I was a little younger not to long ago, I personally have made mistakes getting to excited when looking at a vehicle to buy, let’s just say there was certainly some buyers remorse, once you buy it, it’s yours. I keep that in the back of my head now when viewing a vehicle.

With 114k miles that’s about the normal price I’m seeing in my area for a ‘04 DoubleCab 4wd with good history. Just my $.02.
One more note, the truck looks to already have a leveling kit of sort up front.

Reactions: xsnrg06Limited

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like a decent truck, but looks can be VERY deceiving, yes I know you have the carfax in front of you and I’m sure it looks great on paper. Have you seen the truck in person? You REALLY gotta get down low and tap around for rust (a small hammer works, I just use my knuckles) on these.

I couldn’t tell you how many Tundra’s/Tacoma’s I looked at that were past the point of no return with frame to driveline rust so bad the rear pumpkin was leaking, yet was a well maintained,clean rig. Have you talked with the seller/dealer to see why they were selling it and lastly have you driven/rode in the truck. $10,000 is not chump change these days and the way their list price shows leads me to believe it is obo/leverage price. See the truck in person and find your leverage negotiation points.. after all IT IS a 16 year old truck. If you’ve done some lurking around on this site, you know what to look for. When I was a little younger not to long ago, I personally have made mistakes getting to excited when looking at a vehicle to buy, let’s just say there was certainly some buyers remorse, once you buy it, it’s yours. I keep that in the back of my head now when viewing a vehicle.

With 114k miles that’s about the normal price I’m seeing in my area for a ‘04 DoubleCab 4wd with good history. Just my $.02.
One more note, the truck looks to already have a leveling kit of sort up front.
Thanks for the reply and feedback! I appreciate it! I actually test dove the truck today and took it to a parking lot without the salesman so I could crawl under and spend some time knocking around to see if there was any rust. From what I could see I didn't see any rust, but honestly I didn't know exactly where on the frame to look for it. How soft is the rusting typically on these? When you tap on it will you see it chip away? I didn't see anything like that. Sorry for the additional questions lol. Also thanks for pointing out the leveling kit, I don't think I realized that earlier because I was so concerned with checking it for potential issues lol.

As for price, they were only willing to come off about $300 and that was with some heavy pushing and negotiating. I honestly think thats as low as they are willing to go. I left and told them I would take a few more days to think about it. I wanted to come get some advice here first before I make a decision. I'm driving a reliable, paid off car now so I certainly don't HAVE to buy anything, but I really want one of these 1st gen Tundra's soon.

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
You Tube it. 1 video will show you exactly what a bad frame is.

This would be a bad frame, this is what you would want to run away from.

As for that truck, if it really is that clean with miles that low, and guessing a Texas truck, it sounds like it must be pretty mint. If it really is and I was looking, I would seriously consider it.

Reactions: Mattemm

·
Registered
47 Posts
You’ve gotten some really great advice already here. Rust would be my number 1 concern also, and it was when I bought my truck a couple of years ago. I have an 05 DC 4WD and I really love it. I’m blessed enough to have a very reliable, paid for car to DD so my truck doesn’t have to be driven every day but I would not be concerned about that with a Toyota truck this age. These are well-engineered, well-built trucks. I’ve found no issues with parts availability for this truck, nor did I have any issues with parts availability for my 97 T100 that this truck replaced. Keep up the maintenance, keep some money set aside for repairs and you should be good.

Having said all of that, I’d wanna take a little harder look at how that truck has been leveled. I’ve literally seen “leveling kits” made up essentially of longer bolts and stacked washers. Not ideal. If it was done right, that can give a little more indication that the PO may have cared well for the truck.

With all that’s going on, now seems like a very good time to buy a vehicle to me. If this one doesn’t work out, maybe another will present itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You Tube it. 1 video will show you exactly what a bad frame is.

This would be a bad frame, this is what you would want to run away from.

As for that truck, if it really is that clean with miles that low, and guessing a Texas truck, it sounds like it must be pretty mint. If it really is and I was looking, I would seriously consider it.
Thanks for sharing this video. I definitely didn't see anything like that so I think the frame on this one is okay. If I do decide to move forward I will definitely schedule a pre-purchase inspection at a 3rd party shop/dealer in the area before I bought it just to be on the safe side. Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You’ve gotten some really great advice already here. Rust would be my number 1 concern also, and it was when I bought my truck a couple of years ago. I have an 05 DC 4WD and I really love it. I’m blessed enough to have a very reliable, paid for car to DD so my truck doesn’t have to be driven every day but I would not be concerned about that with a Toyota truck this age. These are well-engineered, well-built trucks. I’ve found no issues with parts availability for this truck, nor did I have any issues with parts availability for my 97 T100 that this truck replaced. Keep up the maintenance, keep some money set aside for repairs and you should be good.

Having said all of that, I’d wanna take a little harder look at how that truck has been leveled. I’ve literally seen “leveling kits” made up essentially of longer bolts and stacked washers. Not ideal. If it was done right, that can give a little more indication that the PO may have cared well for the truck.

With all that’s going on, now seems like a very good time to buy a vehicle to me. If this one doesn’t work out, maybe another will present itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice! That's good to hear you haven't had problems finding parts. As for the leveling kit, I might replace it anyways with something along the lines of the rough country 2.5" lift. I was looking at the Tuff Country 4.5" lift kits for these, but I have seen several posts about those being bad news so I'll probably stay away from that one. I'm just looking to have enough clearance to run 33"s on 18" wheels without having to cut/trim too much to prevent rubbing. Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been looking at a 1st gen '04 Tundra that i'm seriously considering buying. This would be used as a daily driver. It has 114K miles and they are asking $9,995. Does this sound like a decent deal? The truck is very clean and seems like it was extremely well taken care of. Only 1 owner and had regular maintenance done religiously according to the carfax. I guess my main concern, is it difficult to find parts for a truck that is already 16 years old? I know it's a Toyota, and most Tundra's are known for going 200k-300k miles with no major issues, but given the age would this be a bad purchase? I appreciate any feedback/advice!

Side note: I would want to do some simple mods like a newer radio, small lift, tires, wheels and running boards.

View attachment 151892
find out if and when timing belt was done. if it was done did they also do water pump idler bearings.
also just my two cents check out ToyTec,com they have some really nice basic leveling kits up to full out top of the line. but either way they build to and for Toyota trucks. they also do some other brands but have always been top notch for Toyota. and there prices are even better a lot than off brands and work way better..I put on there 3.5 inch lift about 9 years ago on my 2003 tundra still great no issues..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi My 2 cents. I have an 06 with 133K bought it new. Great truck, love it does all I need from pulling my boat or popup trailer to fishing and day trips in the olympic mountains. I'm running Bilsteins 2in lift in the front, Firestone airbag assist in the rear, Tires are 275/65 R16s on FJ TRD 16" wheels. This gets the job done without the cost of oversize tires and lift kits. These are not Jeeps, just saying. Yes you can do it but if you want reliable and cost effective, don't make it look like a mudder. They very capable trucks with minimal cost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
As long as there aren't rust issues, I would have no hesitation. They are truly great trucks, and I still regret the day I traded in my '05 DC Limited with 83K on it for a Tacoma.

The 4.7 is a great engine, and the ride is very smooth for long hauls.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 2004 Double Cab 2WD Salsa Red 4.7 V8 that I will be selling soon. The exterior is average; a few dings and scratches. Has newer wheels and tires and only 98,000 miles. All maintenance done, with records. Oh and Kenwood deck with Infinity speakers and 8" sub custom mounted into the jack compartment. I have pics if you are interested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought a 2001 extra cab brand new from the dealer. Then, the 04 double cab came out. I waited....... all the way
to 2019 and bought a 2006 double cab, fully loaded including sunroof and steering wheel buttons, everything available,
but leather and 4wd. It was a one owner California truck with 77,000 miles and I paid 15000 out the door from the owner. It now has 81,000 miles and I'll keep this truck forever, barring an accident. I think these are the last bullet proof
tundras, without all the bells and whistles. You have enough room in the engine bay to sleep. LOL.......rust was not an
issue with my truck. I honestly believe, that the value on these trucks will go up. I could have bought the same truck
in 2011 for $11,500, but I didn't pull the trigger. This time I did and am glad of it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 151892
When I bought mine in 2015 It was a 2001 with 266,000 miles on it. I love it.. I did a K&N drop in air filter, New faster responding o2 sensors ( and yes different styles read to the ecu at different speeds), Nippon Denso Double Platinum Spark plugs (Iridiums are not good for the older ignition coils), Gibson single tip exhaust and I made a grounding kit the way I wanted. I get 17mpg in town and 22-23mpg on the highway. I up graded the suspension to the Bilsteins 5100s with a pair of 4x4 coils to lift my front end (2x4).. Im at 310,000 miles and the truck is a blast. I also went to 17" aluminum wheels to help the suspension respond faster and ride smoother. Even today (04/21/2020) I have people asking me to sell it with offers of $7,000. When this truck breaks down I will just pull the engine and trans and rebuilt myself. I've done that with my little Mazda B2200. It is currently at 462,000 miles. Gotta get what you like.. I would take a 400,000 mile Tundra over an other 100,000 miles truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an ‘04 Tundra SR-5, totaled 2015 by a rear end collision. Truck had 172,000 and never gave me problems, purchased new, we’ll maintained. Insurance paid me 12,700.00. Just before the wreck, found out the wire harness was corroding inside and Toyota wanted $3200 for the harness and $1800 more in labor, it’s a sealed harness, can’t just change part.
Loved that truck, no other issues... now have a 2008 5.7, but that is another story...

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2003 access cab 4wd is great, but i have always used mobil 1, changed all fluids,, etc. used oem parts for the timing belt job. and its perfect with a great interior. had a few recalls so check that. so its still our road car and daily driver. so all to say do as much investigating into the fluids etc and like the prev post and about the timing belt. but honestly even the belt wasn't done, it is prob fine since the used parts were so good anyway. I sort of wish mine went south, i'm a little bored with it for 17 years! There may be some unusal things like water leaking from the cowl or a rusty caliper but this forum knows all of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts

View attachment 151892
It's a Tacoma not a Tundra. Even if it has been taking care of you are paying top dollar

View attachment 151892
It's a Tacoma and not a Tundra Check it's value @ Car Prices, Owner Reviews & Inventory | New & Used Cars | TrueCar

1 - 20 of 36 Posts