Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Warning: Long Post) Starting to think about trading in my 08 Tacoma DC on an 07 Crewmax. The main reason for considering this is that my wife and I are expecting our first child and the carseat we received from her parents does not fit behind either of the seats w/out the seat being pushed all the way forward (no exaggeration). This only leaves the middle for the seat. Today, we were playing around with the seat and my wife had to literally climb into the truck in order to put the seat in and I have to stand ackwardly on the outside while trying to get it in. I tweaked my back a couple days ago and just trying to put an empty carseat in was hurting my back alot....can only imagine what it'll be like with the added weight of a baby. Granted, my back will have healed, but the long stretching from an ackward position still remains. The other reason I'm thinking about it is that if I got the Tundra, we would be able to start borrowing my friend's travel trailer again for trips.

Here is the truck I am thinking about getting: 2007 Toyota Tundra SR5 in Las Vegas, NV- 6247379 at carmax.com Make&Rp=R&PP=20&sV=List&CD=14+240+190+398+15+9&Q=710fc69a-4818-47aa-9158-3b9361c88126

Is this a good price/am I getting a good deal? I haven't dealt with Carmax much before...is it possible to get them to lower their 'no haggle price?' I live in Arizona and the truck is in Vegas, but they will transfer it for $250. Aside from the pictures, I would basically be buying it without seeing it in person. Think it is worth it to make the drive up there and see it in person? It does not come with the back-up camera; how much is it and how difficult is it to add the camera?

Thanks for the advice

P.S. 1000 posts!!! Woohoo!!! :woohoo:

·
Registered
889 Posts
Go lower...

You won't be disappointed with the room in the back....

Have to go and quote for brand new trucks? Sometimes it's worth a trỵ

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stealership we went to today was quoting about $36k for an SR5 Crewmax with the 5.7

Oh yeah, if anyone knows of any good deals on Crewmax's that are within 500 miles of Tucson, AZ, let me know.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yes by all means get the tundra. FWIW our DC works with our two carseats....not as well as a CM would but we have used a rear facing infant carrier and a rear facing fullsize carseat in the back on the pass side...right now we have the regular car seat on the pass side and our 6 month old's "baby bucket" snapped into that base fastened into the middle seat section so someone can still sit on the other side if need be in the back seat. we could get three across if we had another one...and the pass seat can still stay all the way back on its track (in a normal upright position, not laid back or hoppty doo'd like some ghetto people ride) and have room for the carseat. but, if doing it all over i'd do a CM for the room...if they would only put a normal bed on it.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason I'm going straight for the CM over the DC is that according to consumerguide.com, the back seat of the Tundra DC only has 2 more inches of room over the Tacoma DC.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Some things to consider

A)Carmax buys most of their used cars at auction so you want to find out the history

B)Tacoma's keep most of their value, Tundra's plummet (at auction)

C)Maybe cheaper to get a different baby seat than a whole new car?

D)Unless your wife is driving it to the grocery store and back, consider getting a 4wd.

·
Registered
916 Posts
That doesn't seem like a bad price, but you have too many miles to purchase a platinum Toyota warranty on it. I really don't know why people talk so much trash about the room in the DC. I am 6-04, and I have plenty of room to sit comfortably in my truck and still have my neice in her front facing, full size car seat directly behind me. She has plenty of room to kick her feet around without getting on the back of my seat as well. I am on the taller side of average, and there is plenty of room for me. I might suggest you go to a local dealer with your car seat and take a test drive.
I just do not understand how the DC is too small for so many people... maybe if you have older teenage kids and drive them long distances in the back, but for everyday driving I have plenty of room. My father is 6-02, and he has ridden in the back seat behind me for a 20 minute ride to dinner before.... no problems.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
>> )Maybe cheaper to get a different baby seat than a whole new car? <<

If you just want a Tundra, then get one. But, as noted above , different car seat may be all that you need. Sounds like the car seat may be a ruse to justify it to the lil' woman. :D

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
>> )Maybe cheaper to get a different baby seat than a whole new car? <<

If you just want a Tundra, then get one. But, as noted above , different car seat may be all that you need. Sounds like the car seat may be a ruse to justify it to the lil' woman. :D
Which certainly wouldn't be a bad thing. I'd go for the tundra with the extra room and WAY more power you can't go wrong. I agree with spoon as I have a DC also and the room in the back is fine.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had a babyseat in the back of my DC Tacoma for over a year - I can't imagine how big of a babyseat you have where it won't fit. For newborns, the middle seat in the back is the safest place. Or so I have been told (in the event of a side collison).

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
How long you plan to have the truck. My kids would kick my seat all day long in a DC; they will be tall like their Dad; (-pretty sure thats me). I plan to have my CM for a very long time; so they will apreciate the extra leg room someday. Theres almost too much seat in the CM for my kids legs when they finally get out of the booster and can sit in the seat. -maybe a pillow behind the back? If it were only kids in there for a little while the DC would be fine.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I plan on having this truck for a very long time so that our family can 'grow' into the truck. I'm of the mindset that even though the Crewmax is a bit of overkill right now, I won't have to replace it ever due to lack of space. The carseat isn't a ruse to justify getting the Tundra. My wife has seen and experienced the problem herself and agrees it would be nice to have the extra space.

The question still remains, is it possible to negotiate the price at Carmax or is it set in stone? As for the history of the vehicle, I was able to view a full report on the truck and everything checks out...looks like it was a one owner truck prior it being sold to Carmax. I was planning on getting their MaxCare extended warranty that lasts for 100k miles/72 mo.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The question is... why you can't negotiate prices @CarMax? They are just a used vehicle dealer... isn't it? I've never deal with CarMax before... so I don't know.

·
Registered
520 Posts
The question is... why you can't negotiate prices @CarMax? They are just a used vehicle dealer... isn't it? I've never deal with CarMax before... so I don't know.

Apparently their business model is built upon "no haggling." The price you see on the sticker is what you pay. Of course, TT&L and any destination and doc fees are added. Negotiation takes two sides. They're not willing to negotiate (according to what I was told when I looked at a couple of their vehicles).

·
Registered
520 Posts
Here's an Email response I I got when asked about pricing. And when I looked in person at the lot, I was told straight up they don't adjust the prices by more than one person there.

CarMax

Dear Jared,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding vehicle pricing.

Here at CarMax, we offer no-haggle pricing on every vehicle we sell. We don’t waste your time with pricing games and hidden costs. The price you see is the price you pay.

You can view our entire inventory at carmax.com®.
Please contact me at 205-985-0556 or [email protected] with any questions you may have. Ask for me any time you call or visit CarMax, and I can save you valuable time by having your vehicle preferences at hand.

I will follow up via phone or email within the next 24 hours to make sure all your questions have been answered.

Sincerely,
Tim Wimbush
2696 John Hawkins Pkwy.
Hoover AL 35244
(205)985-0556 Ext. 2001
(205)451-3654 (mobile)
(205)739-5407 (fax)
[email protected]

·
Registered
265 Posts
My buddy has an 08 Tacoma and while he loves it, there just isn't any room in the back which is why I bought a Tundra. I don't have kids yet but the DC fits adults fine so I don't anticipate an issue. I would have gotten the CM for the extra room but the 5.5' bed was a no-go for me. If you don't plan on using the bed for any serious hauling then the CM will probably suit you well.

Definately look at getting a 4x4 though. I know you're in Vegas and it doesn't snow but I know several friends that live in your area and kick themselves for not getting a 4x4. It may add a little to the price but it will help you if you ever resell.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Carmax does not negotiate. I guess there is a large enough group of people that don't like to negotiate and would rather just go and buy at an agreed upon price. My background is in sales so I enjoy the process of negotiating tremendously. Nothing like knowing more about the vehicle, financing, price, etc than the salesperson does.

Carmax (new cars) are priced very fairly for not having to negotiate. Our first Highlander I was able to beat their price by only $800 with a traditional dealership.

There are a lot of members on this forum in the classified section selling their vehicles. You might be able to get a better deal/nicer vehicle for the same price. This is one of the sweeter ones. http://www.tundrasolutions.com/foru...183365-2007-tundra-crewmax-limited-4x4-black/

Maybe you can work out something with a fellow Tundra member so everyone wins. In addition if you find one under 3yr/36k you can still get a Toyota Financial Services (TFS VSA) Vehicle Service Agreement. Having been a service adviser, I don't have any confidence in 3rd party warranty's.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, after going to Carmax and speaking with other dealerships, the general opinion is that due to some bad decisions in the past on my part, we are too far upside down on the Tacoma to be able to trade it in without having to put about $10k down. Hopefully by the time we're able to move up to a Crewmax, Toyota will be offering a diesel in it.

One thing I didn't like about Carmax is that they low ball you on the trade in. Instead of giving you the trade-in value like other dealerships do, they will only pay the wholesale value of the vehicle. My truck is worth about $23k as a trade-in, but they were only willing to give me $18k.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts