Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Crewmax Platinum 4x4. Just last summer I purchased a 24ft boat that sits on a Tandem axle trailer. Altogether, it weighs around 7,000-7,500 lbs. With that purchase I also upgraded my tires. I got a set of Cooper Zeon LTZ tires that are around 10 inches wide and 33 inches tall. Lately I've been running into problems with my tires rubbing on my front skid plate when I take tight turns. Would a leveling kit help eliminate this? All I need is a few inches and it should be good. If you have a leveling kit or suggestions for one, let me know. Thanks guys

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Mind posting up the specs on the tires? Look on the sidewall for 3 numbers such as 305/45/20...

You shouldn't have any rubbing issues with a 10" wide tire, so you might be compounding the issue if you threw a leveling kit on there.

-rockstate

·
Registered
374 Posts
Why dont you just bend or cut the skid plate? Then you wont need a leveling kit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 trd rock warrior crewmax i just put on 305/65/18 falken wildpeaks on 18" pro comp rims and am wondering the same thing if i level my truck will it stop the rubbing on the wheel well. thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Specs are 275/60/R20, Only a slight increase from the stock tires. I am seeing a lot of rubbing when I am turning tightly on uneven terrain. The rubbing seems really minor, only the sidewall treads that stick out are doing it. Here are some pictures of the tires I have:

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
If you do decide to go with a leveling kit look for a 2.5"/1" so it keeps the rake in the truck, that way the truck will not be nose high when you haul or tow.

Even with a leveling kit though you might still have some rubbing. I had to trim mine when i put 305/65/18's on (33.7") Its a really simple job, you could even bend the skid plate with a pair of pliers.

I have a toytec 2.5"/1" and don't have any complaints, i got ~2.25" of actual lift from the kit. 20K on the truck with the toytec and not a problem. Just make sure you install the diff drop.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you do decide to go with a leveling kit look for a 2.5"/1" so it keeps the rake in the truck, that way the truck will not be nose high when you haul or tow.

Even with a leveling kit though you might still have some rubbing. I had to trim mine when i put 305/65/18's on (33.7") Its a really simple job, you could even bend the skid plate with a pair of pliers.

I have a toytec 2.5"/1" and don't have any complaints, i got ~2.25" of actual lift from the kit. 20K on the truck with the toytec and not a problem. Just make sure you install the diff drop.

Toytec is what I was looking at. When I pull the boat, I don't have a lot squat, but a reasonable amount. I think the tongue weight is around 600-700 lbs so it's not terrible. If I find any more rubbing after I install, I will just grind away at the skid plate.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Toytec is what I was looking at. When I pull the boat, I don't have a lot squat, but a reasonable amount. I think the tongue weight is around 600-700 lbs so it's not terrible. If I find any more rubbing after I install, I will just grind away at the skid plate.
I had my toyota dealer install my toytec and they had no problems doing it, my buddy that installed it said it was a nice kit and didn't give him any problems.

I'd recommend it to you, mine's been great, no ill effects and the cost is pretty reasonable. I just wish i would have gotten the anodized black spacers, instead of the silver ones.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts