Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Avalon with only 64K miles. I wanted to change the belts, which have never been done, but the dealer said I should also replace the water pump at the same time. The cost then would be almost $1000. Do you think I should do so? Their argument is that a new timing belt puts more pressure on the pump's bearings, and it would likely fail quickly.

Is this just dealer BS, or is that good advice? :confused:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Think they are shoveling you a big load. If you are doing it yourself and you are up in the 85 to 90,000 miles range, I would consider it. At $1000, that is a big rip. Most places I have been around, dealers charge around 339 for timing belt replacement on V.6's. So while they are already in there and the labor is mostly covered, they are going to charge you ~ 660 dollars to do the water pump. In past years on Toyota's I had a timing belt replaced only, and I did one myself and replaced the pump. Never noticed any difference on either car. Between my wife and I, we have had 11 Toyotas over the years. It may happen to some degree, but water pumps have never been a problem area for me. Sounds like they are trying to charge you the full flat rate fee for the timing belt replacement, and additional full flat rate fee for the water pump as if that was the only reason they were working on your vehicle. Virtually all of the labor is covered when replacing the belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think they are charging you too much for the job. Maybe you should check another dealer. I changed mine on a 1996 @ 135K during a timing belt change and it was not $1000 at the dealer. I would keep yours till the next timing belt change. You can't hurt that year's motor if it failed.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Don't know what mileage interval is the timing belt but I would do the pump. On my lexus, the pump went on it before it was due for its second belt, so I ended up paying for a second belt before its time. With the age of your vehicle, it would be prudent to do so

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'd do the pump, at another dealer. We paid a tad over $500 out the door for the timing belt, drive belts, water pump, seals & new coolant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts