Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1993 Toyota 4x4 (V6) with 225,000 miles. I know that these are probably the best Toyota Trucks ever made. I am looking into having the engine either rebuilt or replaced? Any advice on which would be better would help. Also, I am looking in to having all the minor dings repaired and getting a really nice paint job. I have quotes for the bodywork and paint at $2400.00 and I know many of his previous customers and the paint job is flawless.

My question is how much am I looking at for just a standard rebuild, or engine replacement? Also does this seem like a good investment?

I am looking to stay around the $5000.00 range for the whole package. Any thoughts......

·
Goodbye '01 Tundra :(
168 Posts
I think you should sell it while it still runs and buy a newer yota. The 3VZ (v6) in those is nothing exciting and is generally acknowledged to be the crappiest engine toyota put in their trucks. (not that that makes it horrible, just bottom of the list, haha)

You could sell that truck, add that money to the $5k and get a newer, lower mileage tacoma, which is a lot nicer and IMO more comfortable. If you get the 5VZ, it is much more powerful than your current engine too.

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
I think you should sell it while it still runs and buy a newer yota. The 3VZ (v6) in those is nothing exciting and is generally acknowledged to be the crappiest engine toyota put in their trucks. (not that that makes it horrible, just bottom of the list, haha)

You could sell that truck, add that money to the $5k and get a newer, lower mileage tacoma, which is a lot nicer and IMO more comfortable. If you get the 5VZ, it is much more powerful than your current engine too.
Exactly :tu:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a 1993 Toyota 4x4 (V6) with 225,000 miles. I know that these are probably the best Toyota Trucks ever made. I am looking into having the engine either rebuilt or replaced? Any advice on which would be better would help. Also, I am looking in to having all the minor dings repaired and getting a really nice paint job. I have quotes for the bodywork and paint at $2400.00 and I know many of his previous customers and the paint job is flawless.

My question is how much am I looking at for just a standard rebuild, or engine replacement? Also does this seem like a good investment?

I am looking to stay around the $5000.00 range for the whole package. Any thoughts......

At that mileage other things start to go: Bearings, rear, trans, and on and on. Move up to something like a 98 4 cyl and you'll have similar power to the 3.0. Plus, you can get airbags. A real plus with all the loosers talking on cellphones.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
At that mileage other things start to go: Bearings, rear, trans, and on and on. Move up to something like a 98 4 cyl and you'll have similar power to the 3.0. Plus, you can get airbags. A real plus with all the loosers talking on cellphones.
I have the 3VZE V6 and only 235K miles and if you took care of it during those 235K miles it will take care of you. My motor is in good shape and uses NO oil between changes and NO leaks. Just put about 1300.00 buck into it but for 100K miles of trouble free driving she deserved every dime! Just routine maintenance, PS Pump,Water Pump, Timing Belt and all the junk that is supposed to be changed with it! I went synthetic in all my running gears at 140K and fluid when i changed it was old but no water/metal junk and getting ready to do it again. If ya do not work on them they will SNOWBALL and i am getting around 22 MPG on my truck which is nice. Just did plugs recently also and really pepped it up and runds really good since i got rid of that #2 Idler Pulley, the bearing on it was TOASTED but timing belt was good for another 25K at least. Just because ya buy new does not mean your good for 10 years without having to do routine maintenance! Toyota has gone recently to a lotta dealer only maintenance items and the DIY maintanier just has to pony up or forget about it and thats not good!! The money you invest will be small in comparrison to a down payment + monthly payments and semi-annual full coverage insurance payments, there is a trade off on which way to go but new is nice, that is why ihave a 06 DC also!! 2 is better than one!!:tu: what color is the interior? check out these, i was thinking about going with a set Corbeau Racing Seats they will fit but they run about 1k for 2 seats and brackets, and i have been looking hard at them!!:eek:

·
Registered
220 Posts
You could sell that truck, add that money to the $5k and get a newer, lower mileage tacoma, which is a lot nicer and IMO more comfortable.
Alot nicer is subjective - the design isn't as good as pre-Tacoma's and the interiors are still as completely as plain jane as the 89-94's, so I'm not sure if they're nicer.

One thing about the Tacoma's is that they were/are made in America, which for me puts the quality a clear notch lower than the pre-Tacomas. I'd take an 89-95 over a 95.5+ ANY DAY. This country sucks at producing quality - thanks unions!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I might get the engine rebuilt but I would not spring for a $2400 paint job. Keep the truck to use as a truck not a show car. If you have to have a paint job go for a cheapie at Maaco.

There are some things I like better about the older Toyotas too. I like my '93 T100 better than the Tundra I had in several areas but like someone else said at over 200k miles something besides the engine is going to go eventually.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If you are planning on keeping the truck around for another 5 years or so, then maybe it would be worth putting in some money to restore it. If you dont have your heart set on keeping it that long, then it'll be a waste of money. If the body is in good shape and is a looker, then a paint job isnt out of the question. Personally, if it wasnt that bad (like big rust holes, etc) Id leave it be and set it up for a off-road rig. But you cant really do that if its your only vehicle. Id love to have a older Toyota truck just for that purpose.

When I "restored" my 89 SC MR2 about 4 years ago, I went through and replaced just about every part that had the tendency of wearing. It had 180k on the odo. Wheel bearings, tie rods, brakes, p-brake cable assy, suspension, sway bars and links, etc. In the end the car was basically like new, a little better in some areas (like the coilovers). When the shop pressed out the WB's, they said they were in perfect condition. Regardless, since I already had new bearings I installed them. A few years before that episode, I spent $2200 to have the car repainted, and it was well worth it. Considering I had the car for a total of 13 years (93-05), I found it much cheaper to put the money into the MR2 then a new vehicle. It booked at 12.5k at the time, but I paid 8 for it. I maintained it properly and it never gave me any problems except for the one alternator that was killed during a engine wash. So figure in the 8k, 2200 for the paint, and another 3k for the restoration and other things. You cant buy a new vehicle for that little. Although I prefer the safety and ride quality of the Tacoma better, I sure do miss that car often.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts

Make sure ya upgrade clutch, and all the hydraulics to your clutch and brake systems when ya do the motor. Her in Abq you can get the motor work done for around 3K and your paint job price is kinda high unless you have some major body work! I agree that the older trucks are hard to beat but have to be taken care of and i have seen a few that are flawless. Good luck and send some pictures back!!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
...This country sucks at producing quality - thanks unions!!
So the low quality of US built cars had nothing to do with the companies cutting corners left and right and everything to do with lazy union workers huh? Its that attitude that drives down the wages for all of us.

Sorry, I know I'm new here, but that is one of my pet peeves, since I work union and work as hard as anyone.

I do agree that the Tacoma isn't as tough as the older models, but this has more to do with choices made by Toyota than american workers (channel frame as opposed to boxed, etc...)

ON TOPIC. Personally, I'd keep the truck. That era is great. On the 3.0, you might also consider a motor swap to a different Toy motor that also uses the r-series transmission. Might be more hassle than you want to get into, but Pirate4x4 has some of these swaps, just don't set foot on there without your flame suit!:eek: They get pretty brutal about answering questions that have already been covered.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'd say go for it :tu:. When you take care of your ride, it shows. Sure, the truck has alot of miles to look back on, but your price cap seems good enough to fund a nice overhaul and inject some more life into the truck. Any real car guy can tell you that patience, hard work [and well-thought-out funds of course!] can give a new life to any car. My 1987 FX16 GT-S was two miles from the junkyard when I bought her, but I've worked hard and budgeted and now I'd put money on her lasting another 10 or 15 years. Those first two guys were right...things wear down and go on a vehicle with that milage. But there's nothing you can't replace or rebuild.

...Not to mention all that work and time with your truck gives you experience and time away from everything else.

·
Premium Member
754 Posts
Alot nicer is subjective - the design isn't as good as pre-Tacoma's and the interiors are still as completely as plain jane as the 89-94's, so I'm not sure if they're nicer.

One thing about the Tacoma's is that they were/are made in America, which for me puts the quality a clear notch lower than the pre-Tacomas. I'd take an 89-95 over a 95.5+ ANY DAY. This country sucks at producing quality - thanks unions!!
The pre-tacomas were also made in the US. I think 91s and up were american made.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There have been a lot of improvements to safety since 1993, which would be a concern I would have. You are much more likely to survive a crash without serious injury in a newer truck with airbags and other safety advancements. I have a '93 T100 that I like a lot and use as a second vehicle that may be the best use for your truck too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Another thing to consider is that some years of the 3.0 V6's had a recall on the head gasket. I'm not sure of the years, but my 1990 4x4 P/U blew a head gasket at 150k and Toyota fixed everything at no charge. I drove it to 250k and sold it to make room for kids. I should have kept it as a second vehicle/toy.
If the 1993's are covered check to see when/if yours was redone. If it has not been done yet then have Toyota do it and you'll have an almost new engine.
Keep it and have fun.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The pre-tacomas were also made in the US. I think 91s and up were american made.
My 93 PU was built in Japan:tu: 3.0 V6 and 236K miles on it and she just got a set of Michelin LTXAT2's and rides really nice!:tu: vin# start with "J" it was a Japanese built Toy

·
Banned
16 Posts
Another thing to consider is that some years of the 3.0 V6's had a recall on the head gasket. I'm not sure of the years, but my 1990 4x4 P/U blew a head gasket at 150k and Toyota fixed everything at no charge. I drove it to 250k and sold it to make room for kids. I should have kept it as a second vehicle/toy.
If the 1993's are covered check to see when/if yours was redone. If it has not been done yet then have Toyota do it and you'll have an almost new engine.
Keep it and have fun.
I had the same V6 campaign recall on my truck. I had 87,000 on it and they called me in way out of warranty to repair my truck.

The Dealer inspected the truck and called me. They said the heads and block were etched so they would have to totally replace the heads and resurface the block.
They said they were going to have to tear the entire engine apart and rebuild it.
They also said while they had it apart they would put whatever parts I wanted into the engine at their cost plus no labor since they had to do it anyways.

I had them replace all Drive Bearings, Clutch, Waterpump,Timing belt and a few other parts and I ended up paying around $600.00 for everything.
I talked to the guy who rebuilt it and he said it was practically a brand new motor.

I still drive this truck today with over 193,000 miles on it. The Engine runs great although it's a bit tired and really isn't that great for towing and lacks oomph going up any kind of grades at all.
It gets 20 MPG all around except for now that we are using winter fuel it get's around 18-19.

This truck has been so awesome and dependable. I have only had to replace a starter and a window crank and new Brake rotors and the blower relay. I'm the original owner of this 1991 4X4 Deluxe Extracab built in Japan.

It's pretty much all stock as you can see. I would like to put some Aluminum SR5 rims on it if I could find some.

I put a bit less than $3,000 into it last year.
$600.00 Paint job and minor body work I Know the body shop owner.
$180.00 four New Bilsteins
$280.00 new custom marine carpet job
$350.00 New Alpine stereo/CD player speakers
$ 55.00 Bug Deflector
$ 550.00 Toyo tires
$ 180.00 New windshield and window crank
$ 350.00 Timing chain new pulleys/bearings
$180.00 New chrome rear step bumper
$140.00 New WARN hubs

I'd say rebuild it if you plan on keeping one for a while. If not sell yours and buy something newer.

I want a new Tundra but I'm going to wait for the 09's to come out. I still think I'll keep this truck though.

Here's a picture. She's really dirty but you get the idea.

·
Banned
16 Posts
If I am correct, the Toyota Truck/Tacoma has been built in USA NUMMI plant since 1991
It might have been but I know for a fact this vehicle was built in Japan by the J in the Vin#. I asked to see where it was built and it said Japan.

That was one thing I wanted at the time after 3 bad Ford trucks.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts