Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so after much deliberation between going back to stock (and possibly going the airbox mod route) or keeping my K&N intake installed, I want everyone's opinion on what I should do.

I have mixed feelings and need some direction. So tell me what you think.:wallbang:

Yes, get rid of it.:tu:

-or-

No, keep it.:td:

lol.. thanks guys!

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi what are you doing going back to stock?
if thats the case, try it, see what the difference is again.
if you decide you want the K&N again reinstall it.
in the mean time, you can do a throttle body cleaning.
good luck in your decision, if i was able to keep mine, i would have.
i loved the extra top end power. but thats me.
since a very young age i could remember always trying to go faster.
my dad used to race cars, so we did things to everything i owned.
mini bikes dirt bikes, even my bike w/pedal's, etc. my dad always knew had to hop up everything.
i'm that way my whole life.
anyway, try it stock, you will know which way to go.
it's your ride ,you have to drive it.
points given,i worte something like: K&N vs STOCK testing
gorilla

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Got rid of it....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so I just thought of something. When I did my TC bushing install, I had help from a neighbor who has built three 5.0 mustangs, with his being supercharged. I love being stuck to the seat like the gravi-tron carnival ride (the one that spins and you are stuck to the walls)... haha.

Anyway, he got some tunning done the same day he helped me to the bushing install, and the guy who tuned his ride, has a DYNO!!! He only charges $75.00 for three pulls.

So, I think I will save up and after cleaning my throttle body, MAF, etc., I will do three pulls with the stock intake, and three pulls with the K&N intake.

So for 150.00 (maybe less depending on if I can meake a deal) I can ONCE AND FOR ALL PUT THIS TOPIC TO REST!!!!!!!!!

This way I can prove with real data, what the benefits are if any. Oh, and torque numbers as well..

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Sounds good, I have a similar project going. Well, to be honest, it went so far and stopped because I'm lazy. This is a good thing to do, it would help everybody out a little.

As far as stay or go, my experience is with or without headers, the K&N CAI just slows you down. It makes cool sounds, but when I turn my stereo up and can't hear the sound(thus disabling the sounds like I'm going fast sense) it honestly feels like it is taking much longer to get through the gears. It sticks in gear forever trying to get through the revs. This was my experience with stock exhaust, and it seems to magnify with headers. Add to that the sub-par filteringt capabilities of the K&N filter itself, and it's just not lgical to run that thing. In all honesty, I tried to fool myslelf into believing I didn't waste $300 on it, but every time I stomped on the gas, I couldn't.

My personal feeling is that the computer tries to compensate for the lean condition and so runs too rich. This kills both power and MPGs significantly. I think the only way to really benefit from the CAI is with a tuned Unichip, but the cost of that is not worth the slight power increase to me. So, like they say on Donnie Brasco, "Aaaaaay, foget about it! It's a fo gazie!"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts