Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my new Tun last night CM 4x4 Limited. Loving it! I'm so glad I went with the Limited.

However, I have noticed that when I accelerate moderately to aggressively, it feels like the rear end shudders for a while for the beginning of first gear. I don't notice it elsewhere.

The shuddering feels similar to when you accelerate hard enough that your wheels start to spin, but instead of spinning they are hopping/skpping. This one isn't quite that pronounced though, but the general feel is the same.

My wife's Sequoia has never had anything like this. Her's is smooth and clean its entire acceleration.

I plan on taking it back into the dealer to have them look at it, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Premium Member
1,530 Posts
I picked up my new Tun last night CM 4x4 Limited. Loving it! I'm so glad I went with the Limited.

However, I have noticed that when I accelerate moderately to aggressively, it feels like the rear end shudders for a while for the beginning of first gear. I don't notice it elsewhere.

The shuddering feels similar to when you accelerate hard enough that your wheels start to spin, but instead of spinning they are hopping/skpping. This one isn't quite that pronounced though, but the general feel is the same.

My wife's Sequoia has never had anything like this. Her's is smooth and clean its entire acceleration.

I plan on taking it back into the dealer to have them look at it, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Is your traction control coming on when this happens? Shouldn't shutter, unless your tires are losing traction.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your traction control coming on when this happens? Shouldn't shutter, unless your tires are losing traction.
Nope. I checked that, I'm used to that happening in her Sequoia.

You notice it even under moderate acceleration. But the harder you accelerate the more pronounced it is.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Assuming you don't have a lift on your truck, it's unusual without a lift, but you may need to drop your carrier bearing a little bit.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lift. It hasn't even been a day off the showroom. :)

·
Registered
598 Posts
There have been some other threads on this. I think it came down to the 401 foot pounds of torque does not do well going through a leaf spring rear end. I believe it's called axle rap under aggressive acceleration. Your Sequoia has more weight in the rear than a truck and it also has independent suspension. This is what I remember from the other threads, but I could be a little off. I get the same thing too when I floor it.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
There have been some other threads on this. I think it came down to the 401 foot pounds of torque does not do well going through a leaf spring rear end. I believe it's called axle rap under aggressive acceleration. Your Sequoia has more weight in the rear than a truck and it also has independent suspension. This is what I remember from the other threads, but I could be a little off. I get the same thing too when I floor it.
I sure hope you're right on this Tucsoncrew; as i've never seen such a thread on this.

I experience the same shudder on acceleration, but only certain times not all the time.

I experience it quite often while towing my fifth wheel, if i put too much gas on at first.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Sounds weird to me....

Could be a defective TC or bad/low ATF....
It might be worth driving for a little while and see if it's just something that needs to break in....

Does the RPM reflect it in any way? Is your truck fully warm when it happens(engine/tranny temps)?
5.7 with 6 spd? Towing package?

·
Registered
820 Posts
there have been several discussions about this awhile ago. i believe it ended up being the carrier bearing. i have this sometimes also with aggressive acceleration.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
there have been several discussions about this awhile ago. i believe it ended up being the carrier bearing. i have this sometimes also with aggressive acceleration.
Carrier bearing??? Diff carrier bearing, or the mid-driveshaft support bearing(for lack of technical terms)?

I only ask, I have some issue with some serious clunkage(can't reproduce at will) but then I have some "scraping" noise coming from just behind the center console...

I've brought my truck in twice... neither them or can I duplicate the clunk.... But I did finally get the shop foreman to take a ride with me(same cat that did all the work on my truck), and he lowered the passenger seat's backrest and heard the "scraping noise" I've been hearing(all others say they didn't hear it)...He then suggested running it on a lift(which I wanted them to do the first time I was there)... anyways... this guy is a true mechanic, and offered to run it on the rack and use a stethoscope, to find the culprit... and also offered to drain the rear diff to put my mind at ease... as I was thinking there was issues there... They found no metal...

They are going to replace my driveshaft.... my service person, gave me the low down...said there was a TSB on it... although, the TSB I've read on here, should not apply to my truck...(08)

·
Registered
820 Posts
Carrier bearing??? Diff carrier bearing, or the mid-driveshaft support bearing(for lack of technical terms)?

I only ask, I have some issue with some serious clunkage(can't reproduce at will) but then I have some "scraping" noise coming from just behind the center console...

I've brought my truck in twice... neither them or can I duplicate the clunk.... But I did finally get the shop foreman to take a ride with me(same cat that did all the work on my truck), and he lowered the passenger seat's backrest and heard the "scraping noise" I've been hearing(all others say they didn't hear it)...He then suggested running it on a lift(which I wanted them to do the first time I was there)... anyways... this guy is a true mechanic, and offered to run it on the rack and use a stethoscope, to find the culprit... and also offered to drain the rear diff to put my mind at ease... as I was thinking there was issues there... They found no metal...

They are going to replace my driveshaft.... my service person, gave me the low down...said there was a TSB on it... although, the TSB I've read on here, should not apply to my truck...(08)
i believe it was the mid driveshaft bearing. as far driveshafts go i had the "take off clunk" problem and got a new driveshaft out of the deal. it helped it alittle but it is definetely still there especially with the warmer weather coming back. the shudder on acceleration was there with the old driveshaft and its still there with the new. i'll try to find that thread as it had pictures.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
It's not the driveshaft intermediate bearing - mine did it too and I have a one piece driveshaft.

The shudder is a combination of the less than optimal pinion angle, tight new u-joints and the axle winding/deflecting upwards. Mine eventually stopped doing it when the u-joints loosened up. Dropping the rear tire pressure also helped.

There's likely nothing wrong with your transmission. The only time a torque converter will cause the shudder is when it's going into lockup, which doesn't happen until you hit 4th gear.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Here are a couple of good video's I found showing axle wrap. The first video is from a Nissan Titan, the other is from a diesel. I notice under hard acceleration mine does it from first to second and sometimes second to third gear. I think with our 381 hp and 401 torque and leaf springs this is the result. Not to mention that the first 2 gears are like granny gears. If we had a traction bar then it would probably be eliminated. I know a couple guys have done some custom modifications to their suspension in the forums. Maybe one of them can chime in and tell us if that eliminated it. Anyway, here are the video's. You can see under hard acceleration that the diff tips up (axle wrap) causing a bad pinion angle, causing the shudder.

Titan Axle Wrap!!! - Car Videos on StreetFire

YouTube - Axle Wrap

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Here are a couple of good video's I found showing axle wrap. The first video is from a Nissan Titan, the other is from a diesel. I notice under hard acceleration mine does it from first to second and sometimes second to third gear. I think with our 381 hp and 401 torque and leaf springs this is the result. Not to mention that the first 2 gears are like granny gears. If we had a traction bar then it would probably be eliminated. I know a couple guys have done some custom modifications to their suspension in the forums. Maybe one of them can chime in and tell us if that eliminated it. Anyway, here are the video's. You can see under hard acceleration that the diff tips up (axle wrap) causing a bad pinion angle, causing the shudder.

Titan Axle Wrap!!! - Car Videos on StreetFire

YouTube - Axle Wrap
I supposedly have 504HP...
I'll throw your axle wrap idea out the door...
in a positive manner...of course...

·
Registered
598 Posts
This is a comment I found on another forum. The guys sounds pretty knowledgeable.

"Something about the spring over axle setup makes axle wrap a much bigger issue than with a spring under setup. Axle wrap is when your pinion rotates up or down when you give the engine gas, which makes it much easier to break u-joints, driveshafts, pinions, etc. Also, as soon as you add larger horsepower engines to your truck (V8’s and such) it also makes axle wrap much more possible. You can counter act axle wrap a few ways: stiffer springs, longer perches, or a traction bar.

Stiffer springs are good but have other effects (like a stiff ride) so are not always the best option. Longer spring perches are a poor way to counteract axle wrap in my opinion, and gives the perches potential to bend. The only real way to counteract axle wrap is to use a traction bar. Traction bars are basically devices that allow your axle to pivot up and down as the axle requires for articulation and general suspension use, but does not allow the axle to “rotate” back and forth. You can either make and install a traction bar, buy one and install it yourself, or have a reputable shop build and install it. In any case, there is no “uniform” setup for them, and in each case they are generally “custom” and will need to be welded on. Ih8mud.com has a lot of information about traction bars if you search around. "

·
Registered
598 Posts
I supposedly have 504HP...
I'll throw your axle wrap idea out the door...
in a positive manner...of course...
I'm not saying I'm right about this. Just throwing the idea out there for conversation about what may cause this. Any other idea's are absolutely a welcome.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
We were talking about a stock/fresh truck....

I beat on mine....added 120'ish HP.... it's still a stock truck...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I'm not saying I'm right about this. Just throwing the idea out there for conversation about what may cause this. Any other idea's are absolutely a welcome.
I agree!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts