Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Shur Trax in the bed of my truck (DC with TRD) you can fill this anywhere up to a max of 400 pounds of added weight right over the rear axle and can qucikly take it out to load the truck with max weight. I got to tell ya it really helps with smoothing out the ride not that it was bad at all before but you could tell it had a high spring rate in the rear for heavy loading but now it rides like a cadillac and small deep cracks in the road which I felt pretty good before don't seem like they are even there anymore and the expansion joints on bridges are much much less noticeable a more comfortable stable ride for sure.Worth every penny of the 139.00 it cost me and it does not interfere with anything in the bed... for anyone who like me uses the truck as a daily driver you might be interested in order to get the best possible ride. shurtrax.com

·
Registered
238 Posts
pics, please. what is this Shur Trax?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get pics today... Shur trax is a heavy duty vinyl/rubber bladder only 3 inches high max that you fill with water anywhere up to 400LBs. to add much needed weight to unloaded pickup trucks to help in winter driving(especially with 2wheel drive trucks) or to help tame the tight unloaded ride of trucks. It really helps and you can drain it down in a matter of 3 minutes and remove it to use the trucks full load capacity..it sure beats putting sand bags in the back and it truly tamed my ride I am so pleased out of all the accessories Ive put in the truck so far this makes me smile the most (now for my sway bar), I didn't tell my wife I had put the shur trax in and as we were driving over the same roads we always do she said she thought something felt different I laughed and then I told her she didn't even get upset with me spending more $$$ on my baby!!!...

·
Registered
202 Posts
I'm sure it works but your gas mileage will suffer. 400 lbs is a lot of extra weight to be carrying around. I like my ride just fine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4 days so far and I dont notice any mileage difference still showing 14-15MPG.. It is just the same as two adults in the rear not alot of weight for this truck at all!

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
You could also put 4 bags of screen sand between the wheel wells. Oughtn't cost ya $20.:D

Sorry Zeke, I'm not trying to piss on your parade, or criticize the purchase. :) It's just that in times of need, I've found some quick alternatives.:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could also put 4 bags of screen sand between the wheel wells. Oughtn't cost ya $20.:D

Sorry Zeke, I'm not trying to piss on your parade, or criticize the purchase. :) It's just that in times of need, I've found some quick alternatives.:)
I hear Ya about the sand and I have done that in the past but I can put plywood/drywall and whatever else I want on top of the shur trax without puncturing it and it is only 3 inches high. It can also hold up to 500 pounds of weight on top of it.It just Seems more convienient for me plus it looks alot better than bags of sand and it is safer you can attach shur trax to the bed tie downs and takes a bout 3-minutes to empty and remove it..but sand works also!

·
Registered
85 Posts
And bags of sand do not slosh around like a water bed, not to mention easier to put in and remove.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And bags of sand do not slosh around like a water bed, not to mention easier to put in and remove.
The water does not slosh around at all and no way are 4- 60 or 80 lb bags of sand easier to put in and remove the shur trax weighs 4 lbs empty and takes 3 minutes to fill and 3-minutes to drain and you can easily vary the weight. The problem I have is if the sand bags tear even if placed in plastic trash bags they make quite a mess..but to each his own all I know is that it took my super riding 07 to a new level of comfort.

·
Deliciously Blunt
5,667 Posts
Actually, if you fill and empty the shur trak while it's in the bed, it would be easier to deal with than hauling bags of sand in and out of that bed.

Either way, I prefer a stiffer ride, so I won't be putting anything in the bed. Mine will be a 4x4 too, so won't need the wieght for traction.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another alternative is to get the line-x or rhino liner and ask them to thicken it up to add weight to the back. I plan to do this option once I buy mine, but I'm waiting on the rebates which will probably come sometime later this year.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I bought the Shur Trax for my 03 tundra and it works awesome add the weight when needed and remove it when its not needed. Had mine for several years w/o a problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I bought the Shur Trax for my 03 tundra and it works awesome add the weight when needed and remove it when its not needed. Had mine for several years w/o a problem.
Glad to see someone else is enjoying it...the more I drive with it back there the more I appreciate the added comfort and no more tailgate noise/rattle on those pesty little washboard bumps...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts