Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure you know of someone who has a dog that constantly barks. The question is, how do you get the farker to shut up?

My folks have 3 shelties, 2 of them were behaved until the third one came along, who is a constant barker. He got another into the habit of barking too. Everytime you get to the house, stand up to put your coat on, head to the door, etc they start barking. Sometimes he'll continue to bark even if you let him out. Its annoying as hell and it causes quite a bit of stress and tension. Quite often I dont like visiting them just because of this one nuisance, its so tempting sometimes to take him on a one way ride out to the woods, along with the .40 and a shovel.

Any suggestions on what kind of training would get this son of a beotch to shut up? Its tempting to call that British trainer up.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Just bought a bark collar for my wifes Min Pin. She did not bark except for when poeple came over. I HATE Barking so I bought the collar that sprays a citronela spray everytime she barks. I must say it works great. The only down side is you have to fill the collar with the spray which is like once a day. I do not leave it on her because she does not bark when we are at home or when she is running around outside just when we go in the front yard and people are around. Plus she barks less now even with the collar off.

She would bark then hide because she knew she was not allowed to and knew something would be flying at her head but now she doesn't bark. The beatings did not work.

Suggestions we got from our dog trainer:
Pebbles in a soda can( They do nto like the noise)
Water spray bottle (Do't like being sprayed)
Place dog in an area for Punishment (not their cage) Somewhere uncomfortable. We used the bathroom.

My Methods:
Yell at the dog
Throw whatever was close at the dog
grab dog and get in her face and say NO
Throw dog in her cage for Punishment
Chase the dog around the house until you are so mad that when you catch her she craps herself and throw her out back.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Read this post of mine...I know your pain all too well, I've turned this lady in...it helped.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/off-topic/136760-how-to-take-care-noisy-neighbor/#post1061252
But the only fix we've come up with that worked...was moving away from the b!tc4.
We moved last week, the peace and quiet sure is nice.

I'm sure dr. jellyfinger will chime in, but I'm all for spanking the dogs or a shock collar when all else fails.
All animals know pain, and will usually try to avoid it...so if they learn that barking = pain...they will soon learn not to bark.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
All animals know pain, and will usually try to avoid it...so if they learn that barking = pain...they will soon learn not to bark.
That is what I thought but my dog runs and hides or cowars (SP?) when she barks so she knows she is going to get hit, smacked, kicked, yelled at or whatever but she still does it. I can only assume it is some bred in type of NEED or necesity??? SO the spraying bark collar works great. it is an INSTANT thing so the dogs know that the bark is exactly what they are not supposed to do instead of it being after they bark. I wanted one that would shock the hell out of her but the wife did not want to "Hurt" the dog so we tried the spray and were told we had up to 60 days to return it if it does not work.

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
I'm sure you know of someone who has a dog that constantly barks. The question is, how do you get the farker to shut up?

My folks have 3 shelties, 2 of them were behaved until the third one came along, who is a constant barker. He got another into the habit of barking too. Everytime you get to the house, stand up to put your coat on, head to the door, etc they start barking. Sometimes he'll continue to bark even if you let him out. Its annoying as hell and it causes quite a bit of stress and tension. Quite often I dont like visiting them just because of this one nuisance, its so tempting sometimes to take him on a one way ride out to the woods, along with the .40 and a shovel.

Any suggestions on what kind of training would get this son of a beotch to shut up? Its tempting to call that British trainer up.
you can buy a bark collar that provides a small electric stimulus when they bark. It will stop it quick. Nothing to refill and only batteries to recharge.

I have a hunting remote electronic collar for my dog. No barking problems but she used to run away when you let her out. No more of that going on. Now she listens very good. I tried it out on myself first and it really doesn't hurt it just breaks their attention so they listen

Here is a good place to shop and where I got mine.

Dog Training Collars, Dog Shock Collar, Pet Containment System, Underground Fence, Electric Dog Collar

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
30.06 or .45 ACP .

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,234 Posts
Anti-Bark collar that activates a citrus aerosol spray when the dog barks.
The spray hits their snout and the barking stops.

No pain - no worries. I have one and it works :tu:

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
Guaranteed to work also :)

·
"Rosco" Thread Derailer
5,778 Posts
shock collar...one with a remote as well could be very cool...
Can also be used on the Mrs. for when they get out of line. :whip:

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Guaranteed to work also :)
I couldn't use it in my neighborhood....although it would be fun to use it on the neighbors. Too bad there isn't an open season on asshats!

The neighbors are more stupid than the dogs they own!

I better stop while I'm ahead...

:tape2:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, they've tried the citrus spray. It worked for a little while until he got used to it and went back to barking. They may still have a shock collar, I know in the past they hesitated on using it thinking it would hurt the SOB. Instead they'd rather put up with the stress and headaches. If they dont have it still I'll pick them up one for Christmas.

They've also thought about getting him debarked but again thought it would be inhumane. I think that would be a better route than yelling at him and feeling stressed out all the time. Their cats and neighbors get a little tired of it too.

I'm still voting to take him out to the woods with the .40. For now though I use my deer grunter to mess with him. He doesnt like it and runs off to the other end of the house. Might try a air horn on him to show hes not the loudest thing around. Man, just gets to the point where you want to rip his throat out, drives ya f'in nuts!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
shock collar...one with a remote as well could be very cool..
I wish they would make the same device for children, and give the remotes to everyone else in the restaurant, airplane, elevator, movie theater, etc.

Especially the airplane.....my last flight was 16 hours with a recalcitrant monster sitting behind me. I'd have worn the batteries out. Reinforced my belief that children should only be allowed on airplanes as checked baggage.

About the dogs: My neighbor had a obsessively barking dog that they put out every night. Third call to animal control and no more noise.

·
Soooper Geeenius
554 Posts
How about a muzzle?

I lived with a roommate who had a weimaraner that barked all day. He got the shock collar, and after we had fun testing it on ourselves, it only worked on the dog for a while. He just got used to it and kept barking. Now he has the dogs penned up inside all day, everyday... stupid if you ask me. What's the point of having a big dog if you're going to keep it in a 4'x8' pen all the time?

They could probably still whine and howl with a muzzle I guess.

It sucks trying to keep dogs from doing what comes naturally to them, but at a certain point, the noise has to be controlled.

·
Admin from Hell
13,116 Posts

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts
I have a friend with 3 dogs that bark constantly. Her and her kids don't even notice them barking. It's even hard to talk to her on the phone. I couldn't deal with it. I like quiet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts