Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a little advice on step tubes. I've been looking at Nasta and also the OEMs from Toyota.

Nasta is stainless steel and the Toyota steps are aluminum.

However, I noticed that the nerf bar style steps mount to the frame only whereas the oval tube steps mount to the cab. Is there any clear winner here? I'm approx. 250 lbs so I want something that can handle it.

Would be great to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I had the frame mount 3" step tubes on my 05 Access Cab. They only attached to the frame at the very ends of the tube. I now have the Luverne Mega Steps on my 08 Double Cab. These attach to the factory bolt holes on the underside of the rocker panels, but have 4 brackets per side versus the 2, that the step tubes had. I have a friend that weighs in excess of 300 lbs. that has used both of the types of steps that I have had on these trucks without bending them or causing any other issues. If you buy a good quality step, you should not have a problem with either type. Both of the types of steps I have used were polished stainless steel. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
some mount to the body mount areas....at least they did on GMs back wheni worked there and we had tons of weird noise complaints from them over turns and body tweeeking bumps...due to the torsion of the frame....they would pop or creek.

just mounted a set of ebay running boards that mounted with 4 brackets per side to the underside of the rockers (factory holes-no drilling) on the grandfather in laws 09 silverado crewcab....easy as pie and no issues at all. very strong.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
I've high centered mine rolling over a berm, scraped all the way over and pivoted on the N-Fabs until the front tires touched down and pulled me over, so most, if not all the weight of the truck was on the Nerfs. The N-Fabs are "body" mounted in the factory holes. Nothing bent, dented, or came loose. Those factory step mount holes are very, very strong.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Seadragon,
I put Romik sidesteps on my DC.
The are very solid.The top plate is PC steel.
They mount on the body holes.
The three brackets per side are 3/16" thick pc steel.
I got to see them on somebodies truck before buying them.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I just put ICI Nerfbars on my 2010 DC. They're 4'' tube, polished stainless and go wheel to wheel with 3 step-pads each side.E-Mailed Luis at Quality Bumper yesterday and told him what I thought about these things, for this size truck, they're the best I've seen yet in WTW Bars.:tu:

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
I've got n-fab bars mounted to the body using DIY drilled holes and 6 steel rivet nuts per side. I wouldn't jump up and down on them like Charlie and Emilio in Men At Work, but I have been through some rock gashing off-road without problems. The step + me weighs over 250#. And each rivet nut has a pullout strength of like 75# and a shear strength is over 100#. After my warranty is over, I'm welding them to the frame though. :tu:

To be honest, I think the mounting on the frame vs. body is subjective to where the factory offers mounting points for running boards.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Toyota Canada has these ones listed as a new product. The previous style had corrosion issues according to the parts manager at my dealer. These ones are aluminum and I don't know how much weight they can handle and they only come in a brushed aluminum finish.

Does anyone have these new OEM steps?

TOYOTA CANADA : Accessories > New Accessories > 4" Oval Step Bar

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Look identical to the ones I had since new, 2 years, they have handled alot more than 250lbs, I wouldn't go without them
Good to hear! I'm torn between the Toyota ones and the Nasta ovals. The Nasta is all stainless steel with a shiny finish which may match my truck well since I have chrome grill and rear bumper. Both look like they mount the same under the cab.

Hmmm...

·
gone fishn, Mullet over
362 Posts
Good to hear! I'm torn between the Toyota ones and the Nasta ovals. The Nasta is all stainless steel with a shiny finish which may match my truck well since I have chrome grill and rear bumper. Both look like they mount the same under the cab.

Hmmm...

Personal experiance from owning both...

The Nasta Nerfs: Are sharper looking and you're right, the polished SS matches perfectly with the existing chrome on the truck. Downside to the Nastas, step is not as wide (I had the 3'' ovels) and is not nearly as a stable platform as the factory step. Also I had a bit of rust forming, less than one year from purchase, that would not wipe off... never got the chance to try to buff the rust spot though. I wasnt to worried about it cause, IIRC, they had a lifetime warranty but I wasnt looking forward to having to mess with the problem.

The Factory Step: The "Flat Ovel" on the factory step instills a TON more confidence when used... you have a "platform" from front to rear to step/stand not just a "landing zone/step-pad" and the one inch size difference between the two may not sound like much but it is huge in real world applications. IMHO, my vote is for the OEM or equivalent.

Dan

Attachments

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like while I was fooling around in picasa you pulled the trigger... Nice choice, much better bar than I had.

Dan
Thanks Dan. The ones I ordered are 4 inch ovals so the step pads should be a decent width. I do like what you mentioned about the factory steps as the pad surface runs from front to back. It is a tough choice but I think I'd rather have the shiny finish of the Nasta rather than the brushed finish of the Toyota ones.

The mounting locations look identical for both however, using the pre-existing holes under the cab. The Nasta nerf bars (the U shaped ones) look like they mount to the frame, but they appear to have a rather generic looking mounting block.

Anyway, hopefully I won't be disappointed with the ones I ordered. Here is another pic I found on the net that shows them mounted to a Tundra.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking for a little advice on step tubes. I've been looking at Nasta and also the OEMs from Toyota.

Nasta is stainless steel and the Toyota steps are aluminum.

However, I noticed that the nerf bar style steps mount to the frame only whereas the oval tube steps mount to the cab. Is there any clear winner here? I'm approx. 250 lbs so I want something that can handle it.

Would be great to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!
Old post but wondering, did you ever find frame mounted step bars? My OEM bars on my 19 Tundra as well as all aftermarket I've seen are body mounted. I've had to take 'em off and straighten the brackets twice now after they bottomed out while off-roading. They're lower than the frame and transfer the impacts to the thin body sheetmetal.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Call these guys. If anyone can tell you whats available they should be able to.

Or call CarID. They are a supporting vendor on this site.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts