Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, there's no such thing as a silly question, right?
Well, I hope not.
I have a bad o2 sensor. It's Bank L Sensor 1.
What is the best way to go about getting step by step instructions on changing the darn thing out?
I mean , I have a fairly basic knowledge of an engine compartment. This is on the exhaust manifold, right? I'm assuming on the Left side?
Anyway, I tied searching the site. Would this be something that I could find in the paying subscribers section? Or maybe a haynes manual?

Thaniks in advance for the info!

Maybe if I get it fixed, I can trade in for an 07...:sleep: wishfull thinking!

·
Registered
11 Posts
My front o2 sensor on my '01 4.7 went bad (threw obd code) and it was an easy repair.

I didn't even need to jack the truck up. From underneath, behind the front wheel, trace the exhaust piping from the catalytic converter toward the front of the vehicle, the O2 sensor is in the downpipe (not sure if that is the technical name).

Unplug the electrical connection and remove the sensor. There isn't a lot of room to work, so you'll want an 02 sensor wrench, or do what I did and cut an old wrench in half with a grinder. Remove the old one. Carefully put some copper antiseize on the threads of the new sensor, thread it in, tighten it, plug the electrical connection in. Done.

Took 20 minutes max (fortunately it wasn't corroded in like I've had on other vehicles).

Charlie

PS. I bought a Denso stock replacement - it was pricy (~$130). If you don't have copper antiseize, don't go out and spend the $12 on a jug - the Denso replacement came with a tiny tube of copper antiseize.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts