Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After all of the researching that I have done, I can not figure out why there is
not a company offering a subwoofer enclosure for a single 12" woofer for the DC? M
ounting depth in the DC is about 5 inches and although shallow, that's plenty for a
decent woofer.
The Polk Audio MM1240DVC, for example with a mounting depth of
4-5/8. The available airspace is about 2 cubic feet and that's also adequate for
many 12s on the market today. I for one, believe that a single 12 done right would be
superior to two tens fighting over air-space in a single chamber enclosure.
Any thoughts? Recomendations?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just got finished emailing with James and it looks like im being squared away with just
what I need! Thanks James!

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
pics pics pics!

·
Registered
14 Posts
After all of the researching that I have done, I can not figure out why there is
not a company offering a subwoofer enclosure for a single 12" woofer for the DC? M
ounting depth in the DC is about 5 inches and although shallow, that's plenty for a
decent woofer.
The Polk Audio MM1240DVC, for example with a mounting depth of
4-5/8. The available airspace is about 2 cubic feet and that's also adequate for
many 12s on the market today. I for one, believe that a single 12 done right would be
superior to two tens fighting over air-space in a single chamber enclosure.
Any thoughts? Recomendations?
By your standpoint why not put 15s or 18s in the back? The answer is simple, a 12" sub is just too wide unless you don't mind loosing space/seating in the back.

I had a 12 in my 04 tundra, and I loved it. But the sub took space that I needed which is why I went with a different setup with my 2010 dc. I went with 4 8"s firing forward under the back seat, its basically 2 12" spec wise. I don't think it will give me a more rounded sound as the single 12 (not as low), but I will get a much more tighter sound with a stronger impact.

But if you are looking for a 12" polk sr124 is a beast, the sub has amazing sq and kept up very well with my comps (173rms mids & 120rms tweets).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The seat is not an issue at all; the enclosure will go under it without hindering the functionality of the seat. However, I am yet to find a company that builds a box for a single shallow 12 inch woofer on the net. The only things that I can find are those single chambered boxes that extend the full length of under the seat for two 10s or two 12s. I did order one from James and after a few months of fake tracking numbers, ignored emails and excuses (I even had to open a PayPal dispute with him), I received the enclosure. The quality of the box is half-ass at best and I would strongly recommend not going this route and wasting your time or money.

Enclosures are simple to make but being deployed to Afghanistan, It's just not feasible for me to do; I'm going on a road trip as soon as I get back to the US and I just don’t have the time to build one before I leave. That’s why I ordered this one so when I get back, I can drop my sub in it and go. Since I'm deployed, I have no idea how it sounds but the sound is a reflection of the construction, I will build a better box sometime next year.

The subwoofer: I received a 2010 Polk Audio MM1240DVC in the mail a few months ago. This sub's mounting depth is less than five inches and it's not considered a shallow mount sub. With a good sensitivity of 92db and a max RMS rating of 360 watts, this twelve should pound pretty hard under my back seat! The recommended airspace (.88) is also ideal for under the seat. The amp is a 2010 Kicker ZX500.1 Mono amp which is rated at 500w RMS. Keep in mind though that I have found examples of actual birth sheets proving 723w RMS on this amp so at half way, it's about perfect and will not overheat easily at half max.

Sensitivity: 92 dB
RMS Power Range : 100-360 Watts
Peak Power Handling: 720 Watts
Impedance: Dual 4 Ohm
Low Frequency response: 22 Hz
High Frequency Response: 200 Hz
Diameter: 12 Inch
Polymer cone
Butyl rubber surround
Carbon composite basket
Certified for marine use
Frequency response: 22-200 Hz
Sensitivity: 92 dB
Top-mount depth: 4-5/8"
Sealed box volume: 0.88 cubic feet

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here is my shot at a single 12" enclosure. I bought an enclosure for two down facing 10s and did not like how it sat on top of the floor mats, so i made my own. I made it as small as possible and that it would function. I went with the Kicker shallow 12" sub. It has a mounting depth of 4 5/16". It is 1.2 cubit feet and it has easy access to my amp. :D

Mike

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here is my shot at a single 12" enclosure. I bought an enclosure for two down facing 10s and did not like how it sat on top of the floor mats, so i made my own. I made it as small as possible and that it would function. I went with the Kicker shallow 12" sub. It has a mounting depth of 4 5/16". It is 1.2 cubit feet and it has easy access to my amp. :D

Mike
Love the setup. Any problems with heat from the amp? Do you still have all of the measurements/sketches?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Love the setup. Any problems with heat from the amp? Do you still have all of the measurements/sketches?
Not exact measurements. I made the base piece to fit how I wanted, then went from there. The amp gets plenty of air, as you can see, the lid only covers half the amp. I just wanted something small and simple that was not that noticeable.

Mike

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have a Stereo Integrity BM MkIII shallow 12" under my seat and due to the small box requirements, I will probably add a second. Right now it is a down firing enclosure and sounds great. I need to work on my signal from the stock HU still but...

Stereo Integrity | Home

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have a Stereo Integrity BM MkIII shallow 12" under my seat and due to the small box requirements, I will probably add a second. Right now it is a down firing enclosure and sounds great. I need to work on my signal from the stock HU still but...

Stereo Integrity | Home

Great setup. I have one firing up in the back of my '07.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have never heard of them but thats a pretty sweet selection there! Heres an update gentlemen, the new Alpine thin type-r is now on the market but as i see it, theres only a 4ohm model introduced. For a single 12, one should be looking for a 2 ohmer.
Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.
As to 2 vs. 4 ohm, that entirely depends on what amp you're powering it by. A lot of the Class-D amps on the market now make the same power at 4 or 2 ohms.

The Type R shallow looks like a decent sub, I'd like to hear one in person. If you can get a BM tho, it's simply incredible.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Type R shallow looks like a decent sub, I'd like to hear one in person. If you can get a BM tho, it's simply incredible.
I cant knock anything until i hear it. I checked the site but theres absolutely no specs on this thing. It tells of the mounting depth and has a bunch of testimonials that didnt even sound real... Like many of the resturaunts like to write a review or two on their own shop, lol.

Im still wondering if 6 inches is going to be too much depth under my DC back seat... Searched, found nothing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts