Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add either the TRD or the Borla cat back exhaust system to my 05 DC. I've noticed that the Borla is available with single or dual exhaust and was wondering if there's a performance difference (single outlet versus dual outlet), and if I'm not mistaken, I believe the TRD is only available in the dual outlet. Will adding a cat back exhaust provide a noticeable difference in power?

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
No difference in any variant. It is purely a cosmetic enhancement. :)

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
No difference in any variant. It is purely a cosmetic enhancement. :)
Yup, what he said. If you like the sigle out let, just buy a muffler and tip and have a local exhaust shop weld these pieces in. Cheaper and you can position the tip where you want it. Instead of 2" of the ground like stock:rolleyes: . See my picture below where I mounted my tail pipe tip.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now I'm dissappointed!!!!!!!!! I have a "performance products" magazine that states the Borla or TRD cat back exhaust adds 5-8 rear wheel HP.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I want to add either the TRD or the Borla cat back exhaust system to my 05 DC. I've noticed that the Borla is available with single or dual exhaust and was wondering if there's a performance difference (single outlet versus dual outlet), and if I'm not mistaken, I believe the TRD is only available in the dual outlet. Will adding a cat back exhaust provide a noticeable difference in power?
Yep, as mentioned no difference in performance between the two. Actually, you will notice a slight but noticable loss in low end performance. I've had two Borla systems on my Tundras. The benefit though is great sound and looks! Borla DOES make a dual outlet. It actually comes in 2 choices; straight out the rear or side exit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am going to go with the single exhaust. I am planning to just swap out the muffler and keep the stock pipes. I am either going with the 12586 magnaflow which is the 22'', or the 12256 magnaflow which is the 18''.

1. How much louder in the cab is the 18'' muffler? I would like more sound outside, but do not want the noise in the cab to be bothersome to others.

2. What tip should I order with this package? I like the set up that Canada Jeff has in his pictures?

Thanks!
SheerRockO

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just want to make sure I understand you guys correctly. Adding a Borla or TRD cat back exhaust WILL NOT provide any additional rear wheel HP? If that's the case, that sure is a lot of money to pay just for sound. I may have to spend my money on Ivan Stewart TRD wheels instead.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Get the TRD's. They are tuned PERFECTLY for our 4.7 L engines. There is a nice growl in low gear and then quiet when cruising the highway. No resonation inside the cab at all.

Toyota claims a 4.2% increase in HP.

I test drove regular Tundra's and the TRD and the TRD system makes a marked difference.

·
veteran member
1,757 Posts
If its a DC just dump it straight out the muffler will not have the noise you would think inside but it sounds awesome outside.people talk about low end lose I do think I felt it at first but now after first tank fills like it actually got more power less skinny pedal to get the rubber going.Even the initial lose I felt was minut

·
Registered
561 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Check out my pics to see my recently installed TRD cat back exhaust! I like the look of the dual exhaust and the deeper tone. i didnt want somthing over the top that was gonna give me a headache inside the cabin. I think its a perfect setup for these trucks. This exhaust is tuned specifically for these trucks! Didnt notice any lose in low end power and cant say the same for gaining any HP. Good luck on your choice. i debated over what setup to get for over a year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts