Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed Bilstein Ride-height Adjustables on my 2000 Tundra this past week, which theoretically gave me 2.5 inches of clearance. But now, my 285/75/r16 BFG A/Ts (16x8 rims) are scrubbing. I expected a little, but here is my dilemma: The left front tire only scrubs when the truck is turning very sharply on steep angles, but the right front tire scrubs extremely bad when I merely pull into a parking space on level ground. At virtually every turn, it scrubs. I can't turn right without everyone around hearing this horrible noise. Can anyone explain why it would be happening to one side and not the other, and how to fix it? I would appreciate any guidance the wise Jedi-Tundra Masters of this forum have to offer! Otherwise, I will be forced (no pun intended) to only make left-hand turns, haha.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I changed the ride height to 2.5 (the max allowed with the Bilstein). Here were the results before and after my alignment:

Before:

Left Camber: .2 Degrees
Left Caster .5 Degrees
Left Toe: -.21 Degress
Total Toe: -.26 Degrees
Steer Ahead: -.08 Degress
Right Camber: .4 Degrees
Left Caster: .4 Degrees
Left Toe: -.06 Degrees

After:

Left Camber: .2 Degrees
Left Caster .5 Degrees
Left Toe: .00 Degrees
Total Toe: .03 Degrees
Steer Ahead: -.01 Degress
Right Camber: .4 Degrees
Left Caster: .4 Degrees
Left Toe: .03 Degrees

The casters stayed the same because the Toytoa dealership said that something (and I can't remember what) would not move, probably because of the cold temperature that day.

On the print out they gave me, everything was in the green ( I guess that's good), except the
caster, which was written in red. But, they said the casters being off that little amount would not really matter, i.e., will not cause my truck to pull right or left.

The passenger side front tire is scrubbing on the inner top corner of my mud flap. The right side, like I said, is only doing it when at extreme angles and turning.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,536 Posts
In a word? They F U C K E D you. This is the quintessential "set-the-toe-and-let-it-go" fraud. :cool:

That they let you drive away in an IFS vehicle with caster set at 0.4-0.5 degrees borders on the criminal. It's dangerous as hell and clearly the result of the alignment tech not knowing WTF he was doing. For safety and stability, caster needs to be as high as you can go (with the Bilsteins at top notch, you can expect to get 1.9-2.1 degrees or so...), camber just slightly positive, and toe needs to be dead on specs.

Take it back. And take the attached alignment spec sheet with you. If they balk at it, demand your money back and leave immediately and find someone who knows how to utilize a Hunter alignment machine and the CAMM console.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Remmy,

Thank you very much. This is the second time you have helped me tremendously. I will be going back to the dealership first
thing in the morning and will let you know what happens. Do you think that this is causing the scrubbing?

·
8,536 Posts
Remmy,

Thank you very much. This is the second time you have helped me tremendously. I will be going back to the dealership first
thing in the morning and will let you know what happens. Do you think that this is causing the scrubbing?
I know that you can't determine anything suspension-wise until it's properly aligned. Caster being set too low will move the wheel rearward, so if it's scrubbing against the mudflap, then, yeah, a proper caster setting will address this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fantastic. I will let you know what happens probably by tomorrow night, because I will be there first thing in the morning. If the Toyota dealership won't fix it, then do you have a suggestion for a good alternative?

·
8,536 Posts
Fantastic. I will let you know what happens probably by tomorrow night, because I will be there first thing in the morning. If the Toyota dealership won't fix it, then do you have a suggestion for a good alternative?
An offroad shop like 4Wheel Parts can do it. Some Big-O shops might have guys who are familiar with lifted vehicles (the one by me does). Just call and make sure that they have staff trained on a Hunter alignment machine and know how to navigate the CAMM console.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the alignment specifications corrected, but it was still scrubbing. I removed the mud flap and now it no longer scrubs.

·
8,536 Posts
I got the alignment specifications corrected, but it was still scrubbing. I removed the mud flap and now it no longer scrubs.
Did you go back to the dealer? What did they say? Did they redo it or did you have to take it somewhere else? What are your final alignment numbers?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, my final alignment numbers were the same as DJ's specs. I just explained that they should be trying to hit the top end of Toyota specs, not the minimum, and their performance on my truck was very disappointing. In short, they agreed and fixed it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
question: this is important. is your truck four-wheel drive? if so try engaging into four high and drive it around for a little bit. if you here any rubbing or grinding then, get back with me. I've been through this already if it is what i think it is.

·
8,536 Posts
question: this is important. is your truck four-wheel drive? if so try engaging into four high and drive it around for a little bit. if you here any rubbing or grinding then, get back with me. I've been through this already if it is what i think it is.
The OP already figured it out. It was the tires rubbing on the mud flaps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What does OP stand for?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the exact same issue as stated above. 285-75-16 BFG AT's.. I called Shock Warehouse. They said the Bilstein adjustabes will fix the problem. My mechanic just installed an NO inprovement was made.. My tires are scrubbing on the frame. Any advice??

·
8,536 Posts
I have the exact same issue as stated above. 285-75-16 BFG AT's.. I called Shock Warehouse. They said the Bilstein adjustabes will fix the problem. My mechanic just installed an NO inprovement was made.. My tires are scrubbing on the frame. Any advice??
Yes. Stop trying to jam a tire too large for the suspension and frame in there. A 32" tire (LT265/75R16 or LT265/70R17) is the largest you can run with no rubbing anyplace.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts