Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So took my truck in about 3 weeks ago for some warranty work; pedal recall, ac vents losing tension, sinking dash, and dash rattle. I actually printed out the TSB's for some of these to show the service advisor, and he tells me "Just because there's a TSB for something, dosen't mean your truck has that problem" :td:. Anyways ac vents got fixed properly, modified pedal was a fail, sinking dash and rattle were still there.

So took my truck back in yesterday after some complaining, and got it back today. Now the service advisor tells me, "uhm, a new a-pillar came out a couple weeks ago to remedy the sinking dash". But I know it was available since December 2009 + i gave him the TSB's :confused:... lol. He also called Toyota and got the go ahead from em to install the new version pedal 0440C, and what a difference! The new pedal is so much smoother at accelerating. Unfortunately the dash rattle is still there, I give up on it haha.

Also noticed they replaced my Toyota all weather mats in the drivers + passenger front, with the new version mats (why didn't they replace these the first time?). They don't look like they will hold any water, grooves aren't deep and dosen't have a little wall surround to hold water. A bit dinky IMO, but it's new and my old ones were worn out, so it's a plus :tu:. Overall I'm happy how everything turned out.

Here's some pics of the fixes:

New 0440C gas pedal:

Sinking Dash (Before)

Sinking Dash (After)

New A-Pillar (looks the same):

New version of Toyota AWF's:

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
Almost like getting a new truck :thumb:

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
What I thought I was the only one with AC vents losing tension. How did they fix it? Whatcha say?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had my dash replaced 3 times because of the sinking dash problem. They replaced the a-pillar on mine the first time too. Got the shim fix, then replaced pedal too and the new pedal is so much better. I have the dash rattle as well, but they haven't been able to fix that one. I tracked it down and found out it's from the upper glove box door and rattles over big bumps. Might try to make a fix for that one myself.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Dash fix looks good. i have similar drivers mat and it sucks. What the deal with the AC vents? I have a dimple/dent on the dash right above the vent to the left of the passenger.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I thought I was the only one with AC vents losing tension. How did they fix it? Whatcha say?
I just told them my driver's side AC vents have no tension, and won't stay put. Service advisor just wiggled them a little, and agreed. Funny that the TSB say's the loss of tension will cause them to fall down... mine always went upwards.

Here is the TSB file below:

Attachments

·
Mark it eight, Dude...
4,373 Posts
Good to hear, I'm going to take mine in next week for the same issues. Hopefully I'll have good luck too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
How did you guys get the dealer to fix the dash the told me there was a new A pillar out but it was gonna cost me 275 or something crazy like that to get it fixed? Its not THAT big of a deal but it is annoying.

·
Registered
306 Posts
It is under warranty... If you are out of warranty, you might not be able to get them to cover it. It is a TSB not a recall... not saying I agree with it, I have just been down this road before.

If you have an extended warranty it should be covered. Maybe ask to speak to the service director about it? I didn't have a problem with the dealer agreeing to fix it, however, the "new" a-pillar they put in doesn't look like the above fix. Mine still looks uneven and the new a-ipillar still has the mounting tab visible, although not as much. The bad part about this fix, is that the dash is still uneven. I.e., a marble will roll towards the passenger side and put a level on the dash... Other than the optical illusion that the dash might be level, this really is smoke and mirrors. Granted it does look a whole lot better than before.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had the a pillars replaced and they said that would fix it. How the heck is replacing an a pillar going to fix a misaligned dashboard? After the failed a pillar attempt I showed my svc advisor that the dash was still off and that it didn't line up correctly. He said that's just how it is, so I pointed out a strip of exposed black foam on the bottom of the winshield (due to sinking dash) asked him why all that foam is exposed....they replaced the sinking dash 3 times until the 3rd dash was as good as they could get it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My truck is under the extended warranty right now and they told me the A- pillar is considered a Trim piece and Trim is not covered under any warranty. Looks like I may be stuck doing the DIY mod.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It is under warranty... If you are out of warranty, you might not be able to get them to cover it. It is a TSB not a recall... not saying I agree with it, I have just been down this road before.

If you have an extended warranty it should be covered.
well, my dealer won't touch it as a warranty case with my 3mo/3000k miles certified everything covered warranty I got with my certified truck 10 days ago. They call it a "pre-existing condition" so warranty won't cover any of the stuff that was wrong before I took ownership of the truck, and the selling dealer just doesn't respond to this being something they feel should have been fixed/instpected or corrected to make the vehicle live up to certified status. There's more wrong with it, but that's not part of the subject in this thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an 08 that I bought in December 2007. It now has about 85K and has been great. The only issue I've had is that the radio quit working. Gave me an excuse to put an aftermarket system in. It's paid-for and I have no intentions of trading in the near future.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Does the pedal 0440C fix the pedal's hair trigger response from idle? I haven't done the pedal recall because I understood it didn't address the hair trigger issue -- I'm way out of warranty (161k on an '08), but I'm wondering if I could get the new pedal as part of the recall?

Thanks for posting this up!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
To answer your question... No it doesn't...
If anything it exaggerates it...

There was nothing wrong with it in the first place...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts