Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this question is more "audio" related, but I didn't want to put it in the audio forum and have it buried or get responses from non-tundra owners.

I'm interested in installing Sirius, but I don't want to buy a "plug-in-play" radio or hand-held player. I'd like to buy a Tuner that works with the factory head unit (non-JBL).

On Sirus' website they have several Tuners for Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood, JVC, Clarion, Sanyo, and Sony head units. They even have one for GM vehicles, but I don't see any for Toyota.

Does anyone know if one of these will work? If not, please share what you have done to get Sirius and whether you're happy with it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I know this question is more "audio" related, but I didn't want to put it in the audio forum and have it buried or get responses from non-tundra owners.

I'm interested in installing Sirius, but I don't want to buy a "plug-in-play" radio or hand-held player. I'd like to buy a Tuner that works with the factory head unit (non-JBL).

On Sirus' website they have several Tuners for Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse, Kenwood, JVC, Clarion, Sanyo, and Sony head units. They even have one for GM vehicles, but I don't see any for Toyota.

Does anyone know if one of these will work? If not, please share what you have done to get Sirius and whether you're happy with it.
Check also for XM tuners. By the end of the year they will be be merged, youll get all the channels from both on your existing unit.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I can't speak to your unit but on the Nav unit, they do make a tuner that will work. I suspect it will work for you but please don't take my word for it. In regards to the statement about XM, don't do it. There is a lot of red tape to be settled before that mergered is approved with a fair possibility that it won't be approved. Even if it is, there is no one that can tell you if the current XM or Sirius tuners will work after the merger or even if new tuners will be needed. It is a real crap shoot. If you prefer Sirius, then get a Sirius tuner. I have one and love it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I can't speak to your unit but on the Nav unit, they do make a tuner that will work. I suspect it will work for you but please don't take my word for it. In regards to the statement about XM, don't do it. There is a lot of red tape to be settled before that mergered is approved with a fair possibility that it won't be approved. Even if it is, there is no one that can tell you if the current XM or Sirius tuners will work after the merger or even if new tuners will be needed. It is a real crap shoot. If you prefer Sirius, then get a Sirius tuner. I have one and love it.
I agree with the part about the possibility of not being approved, but this link states otherwise with the tuners. XM Customer Promise

·
Registered
313 Posts

Check out this website
SoundLinQ SLS - Toyota/Lexus AUX adapter with SIRIUS Radio interface (fits most Toyota/Lexus 2005-2007). Lexus SIRIUS Radio interface provides direct PnP connection of DEI Sirius Connect receiver to OEM audio system.

This might interest you although it's a bit pricey. I have Sirius plug & play and USA spec adaptor and could not be happier.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I guess I am a little confused....So you don't want to buy an adapter like USA Spec unit that adds AUX input or similar device to hook your Sirius radio thru your head unit?? Or is that what you are looking for? I added a DICE Electronics unit for my IPOD and it also has an AUX input. I guess you can't control the Sirius radio thru that...

Adding AUX input to the stock headunit is easy, with an adaptor that hooks into the cd changer socket on the back.

There is an ebay store i have used www.integrationsolutions.net that were fast, honest and reliable. Give them a try. They had good advice via email.

Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
As for the merger of Sirius and XM if it happens, you will get same programming on both units, they will transmit same program on each tuner freqs.

Larry

·
Registered
340 Posts
As for the merger of Sirius and XM if it happens, you will get same programming on both units, they will transmit same program on each tuner freqs.

Larry
i still think it will happen:rolleyes: . They even sent me a letter talking about how it will happen, and said it will be in late 2007.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I have the Sirius Sportster, until yesterday I was using FM Modulation, I finally got my USA Spec Auxiliary Input and the quality of the Sirius now is incredible, would have liked to had an oem connection but this is fine for now
Skip

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the USA spec unit so I can connect my DAP to the head unit, but I wanted to avoid buying a Sirius radio and wanted to strictly connect / control Sirius via the head unit.

I think it's becoming a moot point... might as well by the radio and be done with it. Also, I don't know if I like Sirius over XM but Sirius offers a "lifetime" package and I really wanted to take advantage of that before the merger... :tu:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I also have the USA Spec adapter hooked into the CD changer port in my head unit and now I have both my Sirius and Ipod hooked up in my truck. And it sounds great :tu:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts