Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to hard wire my sirius radio. I've read of many types of adapters, The one that interests me is the one that uses a CD input on back of the radio. Has anyone tried this? My HU has a front plate # of 16815. I've got an02 tundra (AM/FM/Cass/Single CD). Any feedback appreciated (will I still be able to use the single cd player in the HU?) Thanks Guys

·
Registered
67 Posts
This is a port for a CD changer. It should work for your Sirius adaptor but download the specs for the HU and check it out first. A sure fire way is to look at the female / male connects or call a local install shop.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
I've decided to hard wire my sirius radio. I've read of many types of adapters, The one that interests me is the one that uses a CD input on back of the radio. Has anyone tried this? My HU has a front plate # of 16815. I've got an02 tundra (AM/FM/Cass/Single CD). Any feedback appreciated (will I still be able to use the single cd player in the HU?) Thanks Guys
A USASpec DF-TOY will work fine and it does plug into the remote CD changer port on the back of the radio. I've had one in my 2000 Tundra for several years. You can get them from some Circuit City stores or from Crutchfield on-line. I just installed another one in the 2004 tundra I just bought. It'll come with a pigtail adapter (shouldn't need it on 2000 to 2002 models) for later model radio's. You will still be able to run single CD's.
Larry

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Fellows,
Could I jump in here for a moment. I'm interested in the conversation going on. I have an 06 DC with the JBL 8 speaker setup. I also want to add on the satellite radilo. I was told by the local stereo shop that I can't add on the OEM satellite system to my radio because the JBL system is not Satellite radio ready. It does not have a sat 1/ sat 2 selection on the display.

I hope I described this so all of you can understand what I want to say.

Here is another question for you about speaking of disc changers. Possibly you can clear this up for myself and others.
Are you able to add a 6 disc changer to the JBL system????? I have a one disc setup and if possible I would like to add the bigger changer. If I had my choice I would add both satellite and the changer but if I can do either I'll go with the satellite.

Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
If you add a USASpec adapter to operate a Sirius radio it'll take up the port on the rear of your radio that you would need normally use to install a remote CD changer. You might check the USASpec website to confirm their adapter will work with a JBL optioned radio to be sure. If I recall the USASpec adapter I had to use on my 2004 did have an extra plug on it's pigtail possibly for connecting a remote changer into it also. Maybe another member that has the type of set up you want will pipe in with more info.

Larry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, just thought I would chime in. I use a hard wired fm modulator to connect my Sirius radio to my factory head unit. Works great. Basically, it fits behind the head unit, the antenna plugs into the modulator and then modulator plugs into the antenna plug in the head unit. Just tune into the appropriate station and you are good to go.

Do not confuse this with the built in fm over air mod on many of the Sirius radios which did not work for me.

I went this way because I already had the modulator from my old truck and was too cheap to by the USASPEC part to plug into the CD changer. You can get the modulators for under 20 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fellows,
Could I jump in here for a moment. I'm interested in the conversation going on. I have an 06 DC with the JBL 8 speaker setup. I also want to ad on the satellite radilo. I was told by the local stereo shop that I can't ad on the OEM satellite system to my radio because the JBL system is not Satellite radio ready. It does not have a sat 1/ sat 2 selection on the display.

I hope I described this so all of you can understand what I want to say.

Here is another question for you about speak of disc changers. Posibly you can clear this up for myself and others.
Are you able to add a 6 disc changer to the JBL system????? I has a one disc setup and if possible I would like to add the bigger changer. If I had my choice I would add both satellite and the changer but if I can do either I'll go with the satellite.

Thanks guys.
You may want to consider the fm modulator I described in my last post. Because it plugs into the antenna plug, should not interfere with the changers.

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
I have the JBL 6 disc and I added the USA Spec adapter and it works great plus you have a second input, the cd works just fine and this is a lot better than fm modulation
Skip

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
some people have been posting at crutchfield that the usa-spec has low volume problems, has anyone had this problem? I just ordered one from crutchfield, I figured if i was jerking out the radio, might as well do the setup right.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have the USASpec DF-TOY adapter installed in both my 2005 Tundra and my 2001 Echo, and it works without any problems, low volume or otherwise. Each of my units has a single CD player, and I can play CDs without any problem. The Sirius unit I am using is a Sportster Replay and it works just fine in either car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks cookie, I too have a replay. quick question, did you zip tie the spec box to the wire loom, or mount it somewhere else?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have the JBL 6 disc and I added the USA Spec adapter and it works great plus you have a second input, the cd works just fine and this is a lot better than fm modulation
Skip
I did the same thing. Could not be happier. I have my ipod and sirius plugged into it.

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
some people have been posting at crutchfield that the usa-spec has low volume problems, has anyone had this problem? I just ordered one from crutchfield, I figured if i was jerking out the radio, might as well do the setup right.
I do have to turn up the volume when I listen to Sirius but it's no big deal unless you switch back and forth a lot from broadcast/CD & satellite. It can be turned up a lot louder than I want to listen to.

Larry

·
Registered
185 Posts
thanks cookie, I too have a replay. quick question, did you zip tie the spec box to the wire loom, or mount it somewhere else?
It's been a while, so I can't say for sure. I only remember that this was the only difficult part of the installation, because I didn't want any rattles (it doesn't rattle, so I must have done it right :))

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Hi fellows,

From what I am gathering from all of you is that I can have Satellite Radio and a 6 Disc Changer added to my JBL system. Is that correct????? Even though the JBL is not persay set up for it. The fellow at my local stereo shop told me that since my JBL does not have a provision for the satellite radio that I can not have it added. He told me that the JBL should have a display mode for the satellite, like Am, FM1, FM2, Cass, CD and so on. But he did tell me that he believed that since there is a button for the disc that I should be able to add on the changer.

Skipo
Could you elaborate on what USA Spec adapter. Does it plug into the rear of my JBL??? Then once I buy the adapter then what do I need to buy???

Cookiemech:
What is a Sportster Replay?? I know your not talking about a Harley Davidson.

And Ecarl4100:
What is a spec box that you are talking about is it the satellite receiver that is hidden in the dash that gives you the ability to decode the signal??

Ben

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've got an 06 with the JBL and I just use a Sirius reciever mounted on the inside right side of the windshield near the antenna and it works great. Very little static and I can also take it out pretty easy for use in the house and boat...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts