Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lifetime Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of installing the speed bleeders in place of my stock brake bleeders; does anyone know the sizes required for all 5 brake bleeders (both front calipers, both rear drums and the proportioning and bypass valve)? I have a 1st gen (2003) 4wd Tundra. I can probably figure out the diameter and thread pitch fairly easily, but without pulling them out I won't be able to measure the length.

Thanks in advance,
Rod

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,546 Posts
The fronts are 10mm X 1.0 thread, with a 35mm OAL. The Russell part code is #639560. The fronts are a different size than the ones in the rear drums. Even Toyota can't give me specs on the thread pitch/OAL on the rears.

I have them installed and they are awesome. They work exactly as advertised. You can get them here for less than $10/pair.

·
Lifetime Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The fronts are a different size than the ones in the rear drums. Even Toyota can't give me specs on the thread pitch/OAL on the rears.
So what did you use on the rear brakes? What about the LSBPV? I can't really see the point of just installing them on the front.

Thanks though for the info on the fronts and the link for the supplier, that's a great price.

Rod

·
8,546 Posts
So what did you use on the rear brakes? What about the LSBPV? I can't really see the point of just installing them on the front.

Thanks though for the info on the fronts and the link for the supplier, that's a great price.

Rod
I haven't yet found the proper size to replace the drum bleeders yet, and I don't think I will mess with the LSB&PV bleeder. Most of the fluid wear comes from the heat in the front calipers, so that's where I find I need to bleed most often.

·
Lifetime Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't yet found the proper size to replace the drum bleeders yet, and I don't think I will mess with the LSB&PV bleeder. Most of the fluid wear comes from the heat in the front calipers, so that's where I find I need to bleed most often.
I am actually thinking I will order one OEM rear bleeder screw from the dealership, then I can figure out the appropriate size. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks,
Rod

·
8,546 Posts
I am actually thinking I will order one OEM rear bleeder screw from the dealership, then I can figure out the appropriate size. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks,
Rod
Rod~

Post up what you find out. With those dimensions, we can order the appropriate size Russells from Summit.

·
Lifetime Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ordered 2 rear brake bleeder screws from the dealership today; 1 for the wheel cylinders and 1 for the LSBPV (apparently they are different). Once I get them I will figure out dimensions and post them back. It will be a few days at least, dealership said they have never sold these parts before, ever.

Rod

·
Lifetime Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got the sizes......

Okay, I received the brake bleeder screws for the rear wheel cylinder and the LSBPV. The thread for the rear wheel is 10mm x 1.0mm and the length is about 33 mm. I ordered Russell p/n 639560 for these, the same ones as the front calipers use. They will end up being a little bit longer than stock I am thinking that shouldn't be a problem. The bleeder screw for the LSBPV is 7mm x 1.0mm and roughly 30 mm long. Russell only has one part that uses 7mm x 1mm and it is 35 mm long. Again this will be longer than stock but there is no clearance issues on this so I have ordered p/n 639570 for the LSBPV.
I ordered all of these yesterday from Summit Racing it will probably take 2 or 3 weeks to get them, I will let you know how things go with the install.
I also ordered a set for my boat trailer with hydraulic surge brakes

·
8,546 Posts
Excellent! I hope you're right on the rear drum brake bleed screw thread/pitch size; they sure look smaller than the fronts to me.

I'm interested to see how the install goes!

Thanks for posting.

·
Lifetime Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, now I'm confused.

After your post I decided to go and look at my actual truck. The 10mm ones look right for the rear, the one I purchased from the dealer appears to match what's on the rear drums of my truck, the one I purchased from the dealer for the LSBPV also appears correct. I did not pull out my bleeder screws I am just looking at the exposed portion. Seeing as I was already crawling around on the garage floor I decided to also look at the front ones. They are definetly smaller than the rears, they look exactly like the one for the rear LSBPV, 7mm. This means that the Russell site as well as the Summit racing site have the wrong part listed for the front brakes on my truck. I am thinking this is because my Tundra is an '03 and has different brakes than earlier models. I know that there was a change to different brakes during '03 and I know that mine has the newer system.

·
8,546 Posts
Yeah, and the worst part is, the dealer "parts trolls" don't know what the specs on the part(s) are either. They're about as useful as swim fins on a cat.

Wierd that your fronts appear smaller than your rears as mine seem to be the reverse. Do you have the S13WE or 13WL calipers on your truck? I have the old-style (S13WE), maybe that's the front-to-front discrepancy we're seeing here...

At least it appears as if the thread pitch remains the same, so it's just a matter of finding the proper diameter.

·
Lifetime Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually the guy I ordered the parts through at the dealership seemed pretty good. He actually said he needed my VIN number because there was a change mid year 2003. You are right though, they don't know much about the parts, just how to order what you are looking for.
I am really f---ing choked however with Summit Racing. I placed my order on Saturday and as soon as I discovered the mix up on the front bleeders I followed the procedure on their website for changing an order. I received an email yesterday saying that it was too late the order had already been processed. Not only that but if between Summit and Russel they actually listed the correct parts for the front caliper I wouldn't have ordered the wrong ones. I am going to be complaining bitterly to Summit about this, but first I want to receive the parts and verify that they are 100% not correct. If there had been any question on the fronts, I would have ordered that one from the dealer as well to verify it. Russell and Summit both list the 10mm x 1mm x 35mm one for the front of all first generation Tundras, this is not the right size for my '03.

·
8,546 Posts
I noticed that Summit lists a 7mm X 1.0 as well as an 8mm X 1.0. I think I am going to order both and see which one fits into my drum brakes. I'll post up what I find as well.

Thanks for keeping me posted. I'm sure this will be of benefit to someone at some point.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Yeah, and the worst part is, the dealer "parts trolls" don't know what the specs on the part(s) are either. They're about as useful as swim fins on a cat.
LOL "swim fins on a cat"???? Now that's funny.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Haven't installed my Russell speedbleeders yet, but was very happy with Summit Racing's shipping. Ordered Friday night, they shipped Saturday, and I had them Monday (I'm only 90 miles away). I ordered some for my Accord through Amazon since I get free shipping there, and they actually took longer (processing time), even though they came 2-day shipping.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts