Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have installed light racing C/O's made by ICON and camburg uniball uca's w/ a TC DD on my wifes 04 sequoia 4x4 ltd and have had great results. Tires are 275/55/r20 cooper zeon ltz and wheels are factory 20" TX edition from a Tundra with spidertrax spacers. recently installed a set of bilstein 5100 shocks on the rear and they seem to be fine. i had the truck aligned last week and the tech said the bushing on the rack needed to be replaced mainly the D shaped bushing on the passenger side. so yesterday i installed the TC rack bushing kit. the steering response seems great but when you turn the wheel at any speed the skid control light comes on and beeps. you can feel it in the brakes mainly and it sounds like something is rubbing/grinding on the front end under my feet. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
218 Posts
has to do with resetting some sensors (yaw, steering angle, deceleration). toyota dealer should know about it, but if you search (google) you should be able to find the instructions to perform it for your 2004; 2001-2002 instructions are different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
just had the truck at the dealership. had the zpc done and still having the same problems. and the dealer charged me over $100 for this service and $125 for an extra key. does this sound high to anyone else here? they say that now it needs a skid control ECU that they want $1300 and another $200 or so to program and install. any tips or help would be great.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There are a lot of threads regarding the vsc issue. Some say it's a yaw rate sensor, some say it's a computer others say it's the brake master cylinder

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i took the sequoia to my local mech. and pluged it up on his computer. under the abs menu it had code c-1247 that said "stroke sensor " also called delta S sensor. also code c-1223 "ABS control malfunction" came up. the dealer only said that the first code showed up and it means it needs a new ecu. i dont think they know what they are doing. they had no idea what i was talking about when i called about the zpc service. how do i know if they even performed it or if it was done right? if codes are present, why are no warning lights on?

·
Retired Contributor
2010 Tundra/2015 4 Runner/2007 Prius
5,942 Posts
i took the sequoia to my local mech. and pluged it up on his computer. under the abs menu it had code c-1247 that said "stroke sensor " also called delta S sensor. also code c-1223 "ABS control malfunction" came up. the dealer only said that the first code showed up and it means it needs a new ecu. i dont think they know what they are doing. they had no idea what i was talking about when i called about the zpc service. how do i know if they even performed it or if it was done right? if codes are present, why are no warning lights on?
I doubt it needs a skid control ecu.
The c1247 is a BRAKE BOOSTER. The delta "S" sensor is built into it and has to be replaced as an assembly.
Very few and I mean very few need the skid control ecu as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Mustang how much do you think a dealer would charge to run the codes. I have the vsc trac, abs lights on I just don't want the dealership to work on it I just want them to run the codes

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
Make a trip to LV and Ill read them for free, otherwise I'd expect someone to pay anywhere from 50-100.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the dealership said the only code they found was c1223. they said it needs a new ecu. the c1247 was found when i pluged up my mechanics computer as well as the c1223. why woulds the c1247 code not shown up on the dealers computer? all this started whwn i replaced the rack bushings. is this common? any time that i get into a curve with any amout of body roll the skid control light comes on and the brakes come on by themselves and make a horrible grinding sound. as far as the brakes they work great besides this occurance. i have no lights on and the skid light just flashes when this happens and it beeps. does this still sound like the booster mustang? thanks for the reply to the pm and the great advice. sure don't want to buy the comp. if i dont have to.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Arubicon, after you replaced the rack bushings (all of them) did you have the front end realigned?
The play in the rack would have compromised the alignment, now that it has been removed and not sliding on the bushings the tire may be rubbing.
Check again for tire rubbing against the frame or fender.
Anything that impacts the rate of tire rolling can set off the skid control.
(My parking brake would hang up on one side in the winter, once reaching 20mph the skid control kicked in till the brake warmed up enough to release completely.)
Do you have a warning light staying on that led you to get a code reading?

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
sounds like it needs a zero point calibration as per toyota after doing an alignment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no lights on. the slip indicator light comes on with beeping in the turns as does the grinding of the brakes. driving forward or in reverse works fine at any speed and the brakes feel great.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Figure it out yet? I just installed the energy bushing kit in my 02 seq, did you install the big washer between the rack and frame? Did you have any issues installing the bushing kit? Possibly the rack is crooked without that washer or being torqued on incorrectly?

I just reread your post and realized you bought the TC kit, that one doesn't have the washer and I think you might need it??? Not sure.... Maybe someone else that has installed the TC kit knows, I believe there is some difference between the install in a Tundra and Sequoia.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i think all the kits for the rack bushings are the same except the color. no issues with the install. it took less than an hour and was very straight forward. just a pita to get the top bolt loose as clearance is tight. i did install the washer supplied w/ the TC kit on the back side of the horizontal bushing. i think the bushing install for the sequoia is the same as the tundra. first i torqued all the nuts and bolts to 80ftlbs per TC instructions. after i felt the problem i retorqued them to the specs in the DIY under the 1st gen tundra forum. i have not had the time to mess with the truck in a week or so but plan on getting it done this week. first i am going back to the dealer and demanding that i sit in the vehicle when the zero point calibration is done so that i hear the 3 second buzzer to know that they did it correctly. hate to not trust them but they did not even know what i was talking of when i requested the service. thanks nem for the heads up.

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
you can also watch the steering angle sensor on the toyota scan tool while he does the calibration. During the zero point , he has to drive it over 28mph which sets the sensor. after that you can watch it change as you turn the wheel. Center = approx 0 deg, turning to the left goes positive and turning to the right goes negative (might be other way around, i dont remember off hand) but either way you can see it work.
If it stays at 1150deg, there is a problem and it didnt work.

·
Retired Contributor
5,942 Posts
I have been thinking about this.......if the zero point works...great
If it doesnt, then I would be using the scan tool to watch the wheel speed sensors and see if there is a discrepancy in the wheels speeds, usually 3mph difference will cause the lights to flash and it may not set a code because it thinks the wheels are slipping and its doing what it is supposed to do.
But cross that bridge when you come to it, for now ZERO POINT and report us your findings.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts