Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Slacker
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Sequoia. Long story short, a series of mechanics worked on the car and stripped the threads of the bolts which hold up the skid plate. They are all cross threaded, messed up, etc.

I've taken it off temporarily, and after reading I gather it is possible to retap the threads and install new bolts. But there seem to be different approaches, and deciding which is best is beyond my limited experience.

We drive this Sequoia exclusively on the road, and I'm not convinced we really need this skid plate, so I am open to leaving it off, or trying to clean up the threads using a tap (replacing the bolts, as well), or some other solution.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

· Registered
141 Posts
Thats a tough call. I've got a Toyota SUV with a skid plate and a Tundra with no skid plate from factory. SUV's bolts all are jacked up and one or two are missing. Always a pain to remove for oil changes. I always curse at it during oil changes and always want to leave it off.

Tundra's oil changes are a breeze but I have ran over a few objects. I also have a Fumoto drain valve on both vehicles. I'm going to order an aftermarket skid plate for mine due to running over too many objects on the highway.

· Registered
10 Posts
2004 Sequoia. Long story short, a series of mechanics worked on the car and stripped the threads of the bolts which hold up the skid plate. They are all cross threaded, messed up, etc. ... I gather it is possible to retap the threads and install new bolts. ... Any helpful advice would be appreciated.
IMHO - A tap can be aggressive and remove good material along with the bad. Use a "thread chaser". These do a better job of following what's left of the original threads. Use lots of lube, Gear oil works OK. Only turn the chaser until resistance is encountered, then back it out, clean the threads, re-oil & take another shot. Good Luck,

rb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.