Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen several tacomas with a similar skidplate as the 06 tundras. does anyone have a part number for this or do you have to get the tundra piece and make it fit? I have attached a pic of what I am talking about. Thanks!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
That is a TRD piece.

On thet new Tacomas, Tundras and FJs, you can order that piece directly from the parts counter. It will bolt on over your existing skid plate and give you more protection under the front bumper.

The one you have pictured is from the older trucks (Tacoma/4Runner/Tundra) The newer style TRD is much larger, a little thicker and covers more area.

That being said, these are pretty cosmetic skid plates. They are not meant to be bashed against rocks and will bend fairly easy (ask me how I know)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: That is a TRD piece.

On thet new Tacomas, Tundras and FJs, you can order that piece directly from the parts counter. It will bolt on over your existing skid plate and give you more protection under the front bumper.

The one you have pictured is from the older trucks (Tacoma/4Runner/Tundra) The newer style TRD is much larger, a little thicker and covers more area.

That being said, these are pretty cosmetic skid plates. They are not meant to be bashed against rocks and will bend fairly easy (ask me how I know)
lol..

I am merely looking for this piece as a cosmetic add-on. I don't do any off roading with my tacoma. Will it work on an 06?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Yes, ask the parts guy for the Tacoma TRD add-on skid plate.

they come standard on the FJ TRD edition.
why is it that noone at any of the dealers is aware of this. I just want the optional skidplate, not the stamped one that goes down below. I want the really shiny and pretty one that is similar to what is on the 06 tundra xsp's. They tell me I have to purchase the bull bar with it to the tune of 400 bucks. I asked him what happened if someone damaged the skid plate and wanted to replace it.. he said the entire bullbar/skidplate would need to be replaced!! BAH!

I am looking for the one like this

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/attachments/1gen-tundra/18137d1175530302-post-pictures-your-double-cab-tundra-lift_and_wheels_front.jpg

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Yes, ask the parts guy for the Tacoma TRD add-on skid plate.

why is it that noone at any of the dealers is aware of this. I just want the optional skidplate, not the stamped one that goes down below. I want the really shiny and pretty one that is similar to what is on the 06 tundra xsp's. They tell me I have to purchase the bull bar with it to the tune of 400 bucks. I asked him what happened if someone damaged the skid plate and wanted to replace it.. he said the entire bullbar/skidplate would need to be replaced!! BAH!
It's a basic dealer add on that bolts on over top of the stock one... they should be able to order one without too much trouble.

Or you could order from the link above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:tu: ok, here it is..

I went ahead and ordered the "front valance/skidplate" for the Tundra or whatever we are calling it and got it a couple weeks ago. The brackets obviously didn't bolt right up, but I was able to do some 'persuasion' to them and get them to work. This is what I was talking about..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That must be about 2.5mm gap.
I thought it looked a bit much at first, but it's the same gap as the older 4runners. I made some slots in the brackets which will allow some adjustment, so I may shift it closer to the bumper by a 1/2" or so.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I am not mistaken that is the stock skid plate from the TRD edition Tacomas in 2005. My buddy has a 2005 TRD Sport and it looks just like that, however I have a 2006 and on the 2006's the skidplate is black and it forms more around the undercarriage of the truck. Try asking the dealer for a stock skidplate from a 2005 TRD edition Tacoma. Hope this helps.

Nathan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts