Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Tundra DC 5.7 TRD for about a month now. There's not many around here but today I saw my exact same truck and noticed it had the silver colored front skid plate. I know I bought my truck with the package that comes with the engine skid plate and fuel tank skid plate. Why doesn't MY Truck have the skid plate that I saw on the other truck??? I looked under my truck and it looks like I have a skid plate on the engine but it's nothing like the one I saw on the other truck. When looking at the OTHER Truck from the front it's visible and looks nice. My Truck you can't see it unless you lie on your back underneath?? WTF. Did I get porked? or was the skid plate on the other truck a nicer looking aftermarket plate. Can anyone answer this for me before I call the dealer?? thanks

·
Registered
764 Posts
Your TRD package has the "under engine cover", which it referrs to as a skid plate. It also has a plastic shield under your fuel tank according to other TS members.

The slver add-on skid plate you saw is a Toyota official accessory and available for purchase and installation after you buy your vehicle (or it could have been negotiated in at the front end).

Despite the TRD package description expousing the fact it has an engine skid plate it really just only has the same thing all the other non-TRD's have; the "under engine cover". I don't know anything about the plastic fuel tank skid plate (i.e. TRD vs. non-TRD).

See the following TS post:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/95894-4-wheelin-carnage-anyone/#post644367

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Here's the under-engine cover "skidplate"

I'm not sure if I've seen the other one.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, that's the one I saw on the OTHER Truck. Definitely NOT the one on mine. You'd think if they say your truck came with skid plates you would get that one instead of the generic one underneath. I guess it's just another way for them to make money. Thanks guys.:mad:

By the way, What does that skid plate go for. Not dealer pricing. Is it an easy bolt on job?? thanks

·
Banned
888 Posts
Do us a favor ......
Next time you see any skid plates on a GM,Ford or Dodge let us know :rolleyes:
The standard one is made of steel and the blingy one is made of stainless steel,guess which one provides the most protection ?

Yep, that's the one I saw on the OTHER Truck. Definitely NOT the one on mine. You'd think if they say your truck came with skid plates you would get that one instead of the generic one underneath. I guess it's just another way for them to make money. Thanks guys.:mad:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Definitely not worth the $300. Oh TNK, on the 2005 Silverado that I traded in, I had factory skid plates on that truck.

·
Banned
888 Posts
Cant say as Ive seen under an 05 ?
I know my "traded" 07 Silverado didnt have any,looked pretty much like the 06's I looked at,GM,Ford and Dodge as well.Seems Toyo is the only offering for such standard items ?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Definitely not worth the $300. Oh TNK, on the 2005 Silverado that I traded in, I had factory skid plates on that truck.
The Tundra comes with a pseudo skid-plate in it's stock form (that's what that engine under cover is). It is steel and does provide a modicum of protection. But I don't consider it a "skid plate" in the traditional heavy-duty offroad sense. It basically keeps road objects and branches from getting tangled up with cooling and A/C lines. It will resist impact but will bend when abused. Click on the attached photos in the following TS post presented by Shaneshot:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/95894-4-wheelin-carnage-anyone/#post640315

The accessory add-on skid plate is made from 1/8" powder-coated aluminum. It is not stainless steel. I don't feel comfortable that 1/8" aluminum will be more durable than the engine under cover as shown in the link above, although now you'll have two things between you and the rocks. I think the accessory plate must be targeted at the Nissan or TRD crowd that wants to look cool for another $300. I have read posts from another TS member that took his aluminum plate off and left it off. Keep in mind that it also has to be removed at every oil change (in addition to the engine under cover).

·
Registered
110 Posts
Skid plates on the GM are part of the "off-road" option package (Z71 is one of them). There are skid plates for the engine and transfer case.
They are not standard equipment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here's the under-engine cover "skidplate"

I'm not sure if I've seen the other one.

This is the skid plate that came on mine. I just thought that it was part of the TRD package. Guess I lucked out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have that aluminum skid plate on my '07 Tundra. When I was looking for a black Tundra, the only one around was 200 miles away. It already had the skid plate and sonar system installed, but I took it anyway because I needed a black truck right away (black matches my 2H BP horse trailer).

So I got this skid plate that I never plan to skid into anything with, and I think it would be damaged easily if I did hit something. This is the first I've read that it has to be removed for an oil change. Sheesh!

Luckily my sonar might warn me before I damage my skiddly-doo plate.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
That is not a skid plate, it is indeed a lookyloo mod.

Skid plates shouldn't be visible unless the dirty side goes up. They should also be steel, at least formed double layer sheetmetal (like the factory engine protector), better yet 3/16" plate, painted in whatever keeps them subtle and keeps the rust off.

Any skid plate made painfully obvious and visible when the rubber side is down is probably a poseur item plain and simple (brushed aluminum "underbite" skids fall in this category).

Don't waste your money unless you're building a show truck. Similar products have been released for 4Runners, Tacomas (latest and previous gen), and both generations of Tundra. They are all equally useless except for visual appeal. They are, however, "mall rated".

-Sean

·
Registered
150 Posts
FJ Cruisers can have that silver skid plate as well... although FJ owners refer to it as a "Bling" plate as it affords no protection whatsoever and bends upon hitting anything. The factory skid plate, while not as pretty to look at, will afford more protection than the silver plate you have seen.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yep it is aluminum, a buddy of mine has already dented/pushed it in on a rock or stump, its worthless, but the factory skid stopped anythig major from happening, don't waste your money unless you just want the look.

·
Registered
209 Posts
big red wolf with with plate protects against all the parts that fall off fords,dodges and silverados laying in road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

·
Registered
64 Posts
that skid plate is not worth the money. real thin metal just for looks only. i believe that is around $300.

I just checked my invoice and the skid plate is listed as a $425.00 option. Yikes! Unfortunately it was on the truck that had all the stuff I wanted. If anyone wants it I'll sell it to you for $400.00.:D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just got my Tundra last week; couldn't get the fuel tank cover (i.e. TRD package) on anything less than a limited in my area for what I was willing to pay.

That said I got a quote from Toyota for the fuel tank cover (part # 77606-0C040) of $458.62+tax. Anybody have any idea where I get one of these for a good bit less than that? Seems like a very high number for stamped steel sheet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yep I have the bling plate, only because it came on the truck when I got it. Like someone else said, the price is $425 according to my sticker and I am sure you can get them from the dealer.:td: not sure why? Especially since I will have to remove two plates to change the oil...bummer. Here is a pic of the skid plate from a low angle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts